Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > FPV, UAV & Drones
Reload this Page >

Long flight time - Gas / Electric

Community
Search
Notices
FPV, UAV & Drones Discuss all aspects of First Person View (FPV), Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) and Drones in this forum

Long flight time - Gas / Electric

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 07:28 PM
Zpy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long flight time - Gas / Electric

Hi

I would like to buy / build a rc plane that can travel for several hours at high altitude.
I will install autopilot, proximity sensors, etc..
Relatively high speed would be a plus.
Anyone can point me in the right direction ?

Thanks in advance

Old 10-11-2010, 07:46 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Long flight time - Gas / Electric

Moved from Airplane Beginner's forum to Airplane UAV and Drone forum

Ken
Old 10-14-2010, 05:41 AM
guille2006

Zpy... I PM you...
Old 02-01-2011, 07:28 PM
Mr. N

If you still wondering, from what i know gas is better for longer flights because todays batteries with large mah are heavy and when you begin to add up all the weight gas is just lighter, if you find that this is opposite tell me

BTW: Be careful with high altitudeautonomousplanes, there are some laws about this kind of stuff, you dont want the DOD at your doorstep.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:43 AM
Curtain Call

Well considering he's based in the land of Prague I doubt the DOD or "Fatherland Security" will be there to stop him, however, it does bring up a good point on international regulations - from what I hear Australia is the most enviable but then again maybe the former eastern block is just as innovative.  

Either way, High altitude and high speed will require some additional concerns that most hobby UAS don't consider, such as: the effect of extremely low temperature on electronics, wing loading conditions at high altitude & low atmospheric pressure, antenna tracking and long range data transmission (if you want to be hooked up to a GCS), etc, these will all impact your aircraft's ability to perform.

diydrones.com

rcgroups.com

as well as this forum can all help, but in the end I would suggest contacting people (probably within the EU) who have experience with some of these aspects (read their build logs)

Though without more information noone here can be more specific with anything to help you out.  If you have a typical mission plan that you want to accomplish, that might lead you to more direct questions that will yield meaningful answers: ie Is it true that prop performance changes with altitude?  If so how can I compensate?

Also of note, that generally Hobby, ie non-commercial UAS has different regulations than Commercial UAS.  If this project will be a commercial system you should check the relevant laws and regulations before spending time and money.

Sounds interesting though, Good Luck!
Old 02-02-2011, 09:16 AM
Mr. N

WARNING!!!

This person has an unclearintentionwith this technology and is a shady character. This person has been reported to a moderator, please take my warning.

WARNING!!!
Old 02-02-2011, 09:53 AM
Zpy

shady character )
what do u think i`m trying to do ?
build a hi-tech UAV, arm it with some weaponised bio agent, and drop it over your house ?

relax man
Old 02-02-2011, 01:34 PM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Research some of the record-setting flights of Maynard Hill. He held altitude and distance records in model aviation for quite a while. One of his engines was an OS 60 with a 10 sized carb adapted to it. Tons of torque to turn a big prop with low fuel consumption. Might give you some insight. Good luck!
Old 03-13-2011, 12:04 AM
noporos

Don't rule out electric. A good inrunner geared for a large prop will keep you up in the air for a long time. I had a small tigermoth with a park 400 swinging a SF10x4.7 with a 3s 2200mah lipo, and it would stay in the air for 45 minutes. I couldn't get the thing to come out of the air.

I'm jealous, I think it would be a blast to build an autonomous glider that could follow thermals and stay aloft for awhile, but my location limits me. Just as a note, speed and efficiency don't really coincide. You'll want something with a nice wide wingspan and wings with a narrow chord, spinning as large of a prop as you can.

Mej se!
Old 03-15-2011, 04:27 PM
Flak
My Feedback: (1)

Guys,
How do you plan to know if your aircraft is in the way of or in danger of colliding with a full scale aircraft? This is why the FAA has such an issue with our hobby. Once you enter the air space of full scale aircraft, FAA rules apply with sever penalties for errors, mistakes and mishaps. It's one thing to fly an R/C aircraft 3 or 4 hundred feet off the ground. It's quite another to fly one at a couple of thousand feet. Being responsible is what will save out hobby.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:44 AM
RonTins

ORIGINAL: Flak

Guys,
How do you plan to know if your aircraft is in the way of or in danger of colliding with a full scale aircraft? This is why the FAA has such an issue with our hobby. Once you enter the air space of full scale aircraft, FAA rules apply with sever penalties for errors, mistakes and mishaps. It's one thing to fly an R/C aircraft 3 or 4 hundred feet off the ground. It's quite another to fly one at a couple of thousand feet. Being responsible is what will save out hobby.
I could'nt agree with you more Flak! I think there has to be a limit at which FPV flights reach. This would have to be by proximity to an airport as well..
Old 07-22-2011, 12:17 PM
guille2006

ORIGINAL: fiifiward

Guys,
I could'nt agree with you more Flak! I think there has to be a limit at which FPV flights reach. This would have to be by proximity to an airport as well..
Don't mention that you can use the FPV system to crash your loaded plane against something... FBI, NSA, CIA and so meny other can pursue you. Some time ago, some stupid here in this forun asked for a plane "capable of flying fast, long, and with a couple of Kilograms of payload"... suspicious, rigth?
Old 07-22-2011, 02:32 PM
LarryV

ORIGINAL: guille2006

ORIGINAL: fiifiward

Guys,
Don't mention that you can use the FPV system to crash your loaded plane against something... FBI, NSA, CIA and so meny other can pursue you. Some time ago, some stupid here in this forun asked for a plane "capable of flying fast, long, and with a couple of Kilograms of payload"... suspicious, rigth?

Someone was in here asking how to skirt the export laws to ship FPV gear to a country on the "need to have permit" list. VERY suspicious.