Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > FPV, UAV & Drones
Reload this Page >

Vegas Jet's Come-Back: Now "The Vegas Buzzard"...

Community
Search
Notices
FPV, UAV & Drones Discuss all aspects of First Person View (FPV), Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) and Drones in this forum

Vegas Jet's Come-Back: Now "The Vegas Buzzard"...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 06:37 PM
rcairlinerflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vegas Jet's Come-Back: Now "The Vegas Buzzard"...

After three years, I'm back and now known as "RCAirlinerFlyer". Before I start, let me state that my originating idea, as I have realized for a couple years, was severely unrealistic, impractical, and imposed an extreme danger potential to the general rest. From jet to ultra-light glider, the idea has progressed. Essentially 130 pounds to 3 pounds. Safety is and has been the highest priority for over a year, and with the weight as low as it is currently anticipated, safety should be practical to achieve.

I'll be updating soon as there is much, much more to cover in my intentions with this project and its practibility.

My website is "www.JetsNToys.com"

-Devin
Old 02-14-2011, 09:33 AM
Curtain Call

Default RE: Vegas Jet's Come-Back: Now

I think I saw some of these models on display at a museum on Daily Planet a while back, really interesting episode.  Though if I may make one suggestion, rethink the font and layout of your website, it is very confusing and hard to digest any information.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:42 PM
rcairlinerflyer

I'll be sure. Thanks for the comment. The website editor I currently default isn't all to professional, but I will be upgrading on everything soon.
Thanks.
And by the way, I've heard plently times before about the poor layout. Fixing shortly->
Old 02-14-2011, 04:21 PM
rcairlinerflyer

Flight Following Fowarded:
Current Platform Ambitions Follow:

1. Weight is the most crucial independent factor among the others as all other safety correlating factors depend upon the before one listed, especially airframe size by wingspan.

*The airframe platform will use the most highly conservative construction methods for the lightest possible weight, without crossing over any structural integrity "boundary lines".

-> Basic Assumed Requirements show below:

•Fuel (Possibly Kerosene, Naphtha, or mix (with electrically integrated solar panel system)): 32 oz.
-Weight: ~1.5 lbs. @ ~6 lbs. per gallon
->Current Fuel Anticipation as of 2/14/2011: High Efficiency *BeesWax* Burning Flame Ignition SystemEstimated ~30 oz. (Would not allow for "Pierre Curie Point Engine System", for the ignition temperature is too low.

•Average Flight Speed:
~20 M.P.H. (I.E.: 15 Rollout, 25 Roll in)

•Rear-Wingspan: 10-12 ft. (With winglets+possible wingtip break-offs) / Minimal rear span: 8 ft.
•Fore-Wingspan: 6 ft.

•Total Weight Budget Final: ~3 lbs.

•PowerPlant Thrust Poundage: ~.5 lb.

Thrust-to-Weight Rationale:
-Takeoff/Outbound = 1/6
-Approach/Inbound =

**Current Propulsion System Undecided**
•Possible Rotor Blade:
18 in. diameter by ~4 pitch

} Two Alternative Experimental Propulsion Methods Are Currently In High Consideration:

Consideration 1: Internal Wing Pressurization for Induced Horizontal Jet Flow Proceeding the Trailing Edge of UAV Glider's wing to Decrease Lift Drag through Thrust by Increased Laminar Flow in Rear Portion of the wing.

Consideration 2: Experimental "Momentum Propeller" Physically Operating by Positionally Concentrated Alteration of Centrifugal Radial Force in a point on a ring. For example, imagine an unbalanced propeller that is only unbalanced in one area of the revolution cycle; 'unidirectional radial momentum offset'.

As far as I know, this idea is purely original from myself. I'm not sure if even NASA has pondered the concept. I'm absolutely sure this "URMO" functions, I just don't know how well, yet. I'm hopefully entering a working model into a major science competition in several months.

And yes, a favorite anticipation...
•Estimated Flight Time:
-At least = 130 hrs. / 5.5 days
-At most = 150 hrs. / 6 days
@ Roughly 20 M.P.H. Avg. Velocity

I haven't listed the specific PowerPlant yet for a reason. This is by far the most exceedingly difficult aspect of the operation. The 32 ounces of fuel burn expected above is calculated from external combustion flame burn rate. Essentially a Coleman Lantern Fuel powered aircraft, it will be... Running off of the highly preserved thermal energy of basically a candle flame. Thermodynamic air engines are known for their ultra low torque, which is why I plan to use a mix of heated air and water to produce a Stirling Engine steam integrated sort of engine. High power Neodymium-Iron-Boron permanent magnets might be integrated, as well, with Nickel-Alloy to further employ another experimentally operating, larger scale, ferromagnetic switching/oscillating Curie Point engine which operates by continuously deactivating the ferromagnetic Nickel by rising above and then returning below the thermal Curie Point temperature. This drives a piston engine-like functionality between the two attracted magnets, one of which switches on and off by superheating.

Well, how does it look so far?
Notice how I don't want this to prove a safety threat by the improbably low factors, such as weight. The only thing I dislike about this glider is that, for the generally greatly unrealistic endurance efficiencies that it needs to meet, the wingspan has to stay very slender and long for maximum gliding. I'll send the airframe structure doc. later on. For a head start it won't have a fuselage; it will if you can consider a 1/4 inch carbon fiber tube. Wing spars will be carbon fiber strips and tubes, all used conservatively. The two wings will be cambered using ultralight balsa for the wing ribs, also conservative in usage. All carry-ons will be within the wings at the centerline. The forewing will be shorter than the rear and delta shaped with a thin average chord, while the rear wing will be rectangular with receding chord nearing the wingtips and an overall thin chord. Winglets may operate as the sole vertical stabs. If not, there will be a single, extremely thin vertical stabilizer with rudder at the rear centerline of the rear wing.

The Control Systems Briefing Is Underway!
Old 02-14-2011, 05:23 PM
rcairlinerflyer

Picture Update: Featuring the testing platform short-range control radio.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18583.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	1563781   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89133.jpg
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	1563782  
Old 02-14-2011, 06:19 PM
rcairlinerflyer

Building equipment ready for the official build:

Name:	Mj24508.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	1563820  
Old 02-15-2011, 04:46 PM
rcairlinerflyer

Update pics...

Name:	Nl30210.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	1564507   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm28211.jpg
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	1564508  
Old 02-16-2011, 06:25 PM
rcairlinerflyer

For many, the fuel choice will be found truly unique. I'm currently considering beeswax deposits for the reason that it woud prove the most (weight/burn time) efficient as an external flame combustion can provide. I'm also considering non-rechargable lithium ultimate Energizer batteries, and $50 or so worth of more solar panels (ontop of $15 in SPs so far) integrated into the system. If you imagine a burning candle atop the aircraft, you are severley mistaken, although, humorously enough, I've already heard the misconception by many comrads of my own. In general, I'm sure many are curious of how I will integrate a candle inside the aircraft's main-wing. A specially designed chamber will be developed with an oxygen inlet, solar panel light-energy absorbing chamber wall for consistent energy flow during the night hours in July, and some type of a short length brass tubing for the solid to liquid wax conversion to the combusting wick...
Old 02-16-2011, 07:58 PM
rcairlinerflyer

Updated, more acurate airfoil wing-rib cross section.

Name:	Mk27448.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	1565190  
Old 02-18-2011, 07:22 PM
rcairlinerflyer

More photos of the materials and two shots of the ArduPilot "red board" AtMega 328, with FMA Direct Co-Pilot, Optical Isolator(for preventing electrical servo back-track interference), and Y-connecting servo buffers from FMA, also. The other shots are the UAV glider building materials purchased from Hobby Town USA, quite conservative in quantity as one can see:
- 6 36" by 3" by 1/16" Balsa Wood sheets.
- Some 20 feet in length of Carbon Fiber rounded and squared rods; no need to specify too much.
- 2 rolls or 36 square feet of Top Flight MonoKote, pearl blue in color, and one roll of TP EconoKote, which I may or may not use as its primary bondage is foam.

Notice: I'll need to take better pictures and use one of the higher resolution cameras I have. The ArduPilot pictures are a little cluttered with the unorganized wires, as well.

The Vegas Buzzard UAV build documentation begins in one month on 3/18/2011!...

-Devin

Name:	Yv66312.jpg
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	1566160   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83877.jpg
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	1566161   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw57278.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	1566162   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bu58442.jpg
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	1566163  
Old 02-18-2011, 07:42 PM
rcairlinerflyer

The Vegas Buzzard will be a design mix of all of the below, except without a prominent fuselage. The last three images are very close to how I anticipate its appearance to be, only with a carbon rod joining the forewing and rear-wing, as to fully minimize skin-friction drag and, of course, highly unnecassary extra weight:

Name:	Om32422.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	1566173   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89510.jpg
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	1566174   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62911.jpg
Size:	282.7 KB
ID:	1566175   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo36032.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	320.3 KB
ID:	1566176   Click image for larger version

Name:	It98438.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	211.6 KB
ID:	1566177   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lb46220.jpg
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1566178   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uw42755.jpg
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	1566179   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cb94251.jpg
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	1566180  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ts22149.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	1566181   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yk57189.jpg
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	1566182   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg39595.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	1566183  
Old 02-18-2011, 07:43 PM
rcairlinerflyer

Like the balsacarbon fiber glider at the top, with the carbon fuse.