Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > FPV, UAV & Drones
Reload this Page >

Strange guys asking basic questions

Community
Search
Notices
FPV, UAV & Drones Discuss all aspects of First Person View (FPV), Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) and Drones in this forum

Strange guys asking basic questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 11:45 PM
guille2006

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange guys asking basic questions

We red here in this forum several uys asking for "help building a fast airmodel for carrying some payload... I have no experience"
Being a UAV designer (and maybe chacking the possibility of getting a job to do) sent a couple of PM to those persons asking quostions such: "what do you want to carry?, how far do you want to go? Who is funding?". No need to say, the answers I received were more than poor...

Said so; read this and think twice before answering those persons:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...using_exp.html

Regards;

Guille
Old 09-29-2011, 10:12 AM
Joystick TX

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Strange guys asking basic questions

I have some serious problems with the mental state of this man and also with his education.

His choice of model planes for carrying a payload of 50 lbs of plastic explosives and hand grenades leads me to believe he is more just a little off his nut. A scale F-4 and a scale F-86 are pretty well at the high end of their performance envelope already. I can't tell for sure, but they don't even look like the turbine versions of the models.

For someone with a degree in physics, he could not have picked worse airplanes to carry his heavy payload, so I question if he really graduated or if the college is just a diploma mill.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:33 PM
mboland

He may have a physics degree (yes, it doesn't say much for the university) but he sure flunked Aerodynamics.

But if you want to get the un-enlightened shivering in their boots, just show a jet fighter model purported to be packed with explosive.

The guy's a dick, plain and simple.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:37 PM
guille2006

What if... What if it's all a fake? Just asking; but I do still have my doubts...
Old 09-29-2011, 02:21 PM
Joystick TX

The problem is the public perception that we are a major threat because we fly model planes.

They used to just hate us because of the noise, now we have mufflers and electric airplanes and still get complaints.

Last year  was stopped by the police for flying my electric Senorita because of a noise complaint. I asked how much noise I was making and what noise level was allowed and he said it didn't matter how much noise I was making, there was a complaint and I had to stop.

I wrote the AMA and they said the cop was right, I have no right to make any noise.

I converted it back to nitro since noise is not really a factor with the complaints.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:16 PM
rcgadget2000

Hey guys ive came into 3 of the carl golberg mig 27 drones anybody have any idea how well thes thing fly
Old 09-30-2011, 06:58 AM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rcgadget2000

Hey guys ive came into 3 of the carl golberg mig 27 drones anybody have any idea how well thes thing fly
they fly like crap
Old 09-30-2011, 02:45 PM
Joystick TX

ORIGINAL: MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: rcgadget2000

they fly like crap
I'm sure they fly much better after you add GPS, autopilot, a few hand grenades and 50 pounds of plastic explosives.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:40 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Joystick TX

I'm sure they fly much better after you add GPS, autopilot, a few hand grenades and 50 pounds of plastic explosives.

The previous post is why this kind of forum should be closed forever. The site is open to anyone to read and all they need to do is intrepret that post badly.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:36 PM
guille2006

C'mon T.O.M.; it's obvious that joystick is just kidding... IT'S OBVIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!
Besides it's not true; something that flyies like crap, will fly like crap even with the best autopilot.
Take it easy my friend...
Cheers
Guille
Old 10-21-2011, 04:47 AM
Joystick TX

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

ORIGINAL: Joystick TX

The previous post is why this kind of forum should be closed forever. The site is open to anyone to read and all they need to do is intrepret that post badly.
Sorry T.O.M.,, but this forum is not where the terrorists are getting all of their valuable weapons information. The Internet already has instructions to build almost every weapon known to mankind.

My point is that anyone who thinks he can "destroy" the pentagon, or any other major building, with a model plane is an idiot. I'm repeating what the news media said he was going to put on the model planes that he had. The public perception, and apparently yours too,is that he could actually add all that weight to those planes and make a viable weapon of mass destruction.I thought it would be obvious to anyone who fliesmodelplanesthat his plan was nuts.

Get one of the scale model planeslike he hadand add 30 lbs of ballast to it and then, if it will get off the ground, add the autopilot and GPS. Give me a call when you have "taught" it todoaspot landing in a 6' circle. I would like to come watch it.

There are cheaper, easier and more reliable ways to blow up things than with model planes.Yes, it is possible to use them to do some damage. It is also possible to do damage with a can of gasoline, or a ball point pen, or a bag of marshmallows. I'm a retired weapons integration engineer so I do have some experience in this area. I also have UAV design experience, so I know how hard it is to do what he said he was going to do.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:28 AM
guille2006

I remember several years ago, a new zeland man built and published in the net "Build you own cruise missile at home". He explained every detail and he pointed also that he spent "only" U$10.000 for doing it... The result was a flying machine very similar to the Nazi V1 and on a first look very capable of doing "the misson". What I don't remember is about the payload...
In any case, no flight report was published, My guess is authorities took place.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:02 AM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take a look at the post in the Aerodynamics forum titled "Not sure if the numbers look right." The OP has a "friend" who wants a go fast plane that can carry a 25lb payload and isn't really interested in learning how to land it quite yet????? But, don't worry, if's he's an actual student looking for legitimate suggestions, he is surely getting them.

Kurt
Old 11-03-2011, 05:12 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have argued about this one for years. I have discouraged talking about it here for the reasons above, idiots that shouldn't be doing it doing the wrong things.

Now I find myself looking for info on it and building a plane for it to do aerial video with the gopro camera. It does amazing HD vids and would be cool to do FPV with. Strange dilemma to have. There is a guy here who has done quite a bit of it. I have to get with him and check it out.

No matter what you do, make sure you do it safe and stay away from the airports so we don't lose the right to do it.