Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > FPV, UAV & Drones
Reload this Page >

Swinglet Cam UAV Propellar Failure

Notices
FPV, UAV & Drones Discuss all aspects of First Person View (FPV), Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) and Drones in this forum

Swinglet Cam UAV Propellar Failure

Old 12-10-2012, 04:28 PM
techfeene05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swinglet Cam UAV Propellar Failure

So I am trying to find someone who can offer some advice for help on repairing the motor of a swinglet cam uav. I imagine this is very similar propellar/motor design to most RC planes this one just happens to be attached to a fully autonomous airplane. What is happenning is the plane gets the spin up command (three shakes) and the prop attempts to turn but stops. This thing has flown a few flights but not nearly enough for it to have quit on us. The issue is that the company is in switzerland and the shipping and repair is beyound our budget. Does anyone have any experience with this plane or can offer u.s. based (preferably southeast we are in georgia) repair places?

http://www.sensefly.com/products/swinglet-cam

Old 12-10-2012, 05:05 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Swinglet Cam UAV Propellar Failure

Hi, welcome to RCU. I'm guessing it does use a brushless motor and maybe even a esc like we use in RC. In our plane set-ups the behavior you describe is due to motor to esc connections or shorted or burned motor wire. Can you see the motor controller at all? I think your best bet may be to take that power system to a nearby hobby shop that is big into electric planes. They may be the best hands on first step in diagnosing it since they may have a motor than can at least be tested without a prop for a few seconds. If I was close I'd do any diagnosis on it for free just for an opportunity to see it fly once.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:13 PM
guver

Here's a member list http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/...uestTimeout=50 and if you click on their profile and even click on "View Recent Posts & Other Forum Details" you may be able to do some snooping and see who is into electric planes. Unfortunately I don't know anyone on that list and a couple that I snooped on didn't have any posts at all. The member list can be expanded to include nearby cities as well. I wish I could help you more, that's a very neat device.

Oops, apparently my search criteria didn't save so I put in USA,GA,grovetown in the search box and checked the "city" and there were 27 members in that city.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:13 PM
techfeene05

Thanks for the reply guver.  I did mention this issue to a local hobby shop and basically i decided i don't trust him with my $12k plane.  Granted most of that cost is software, none the less i wasn't about to hand over my plane to him.  At what heights would you consider "high flying" RC planes?  I've often wondered that as we fly this thing above a thousand feet regularly last flight was scheduled for 1400ft but is when we discovered the motor issue.  

I don't know if you can tell on the pictures from the website, but there are a couple of screws on the end of the motor that appear to be dual purposed.  The first purpose is to use the rubberbands to hold the prop in place.  The second purpose (i believe) is they are set screws that hold that motor altogether.  We were kind of messing with it today but were scared of stripping those scews and not able to find replacement ones.  Is there a recommended site to get these kinds of screws if we do decide to do the unthinkable and tinker with this thing?
Old 12-10-2012, 05:21 PM
guver

I'm kinda noob for flying planes and I ask more questions than I can answer. I have about 20 planes that I fly and I don't think I've ever flown above about 200-300 feet. The farthest distance I can see is a bit over 1000 ft and my largest plane is about 4-5 ft wingspan. That part is probably called a prop-saver and my 2 favorite sites for buying parts are HobbyKing and Tower Hobbies.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...r_Adapter.html
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...aver%3C%2Fb%3E

That place has got to sell parts , right? I did see that there are NO US dealers right now.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:44 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 12-10-2012, 05:54 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

Hold on a minute guys.

There is an altitude restriction for RC hobby aircraft. You MUST check with the FAA to fly at altitudes you are talking about. The web site noted in the OP's post stated:

Important note: The use of the swinglet CAM must conform to the applicable laws of the country where it is operated. It is the sole responsibility of the client be informed of applicable restrictions. For example, some countries may have rules that restrict the use of unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) to: line‐of‐sight operation only, specific airspace & maximum altitude, and/or prior approval by the authorities in charge (e.g. FAA).
This is not the place to be discussing flying such model aircraft at those altitudes. You cannot fly at that altitude without the appropriate FAA authorization. AMA rules pretty much state this.

For basic electric RC aircraft information and help, the best place to look is in the Electric Aircraft forum. If you wish, I can move this over to that forum.

CGr.
CGRetired is absolutely correct. RCU has an entire forum dedicated to UAV's. I have ever moved this thread to that forun

Ken

Old 12-10-2012, 05:54 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

Hold on a minute guys.

There is an altitude restriction for RC hobby aircraft. You MUST check with the FAA to fly at altitudes you are talking about. The web site noted in the OP's post stated:

Important note: The use of the swinglet CAM must conform to the applicable laws of the country where it is operated. It is the sole responsibility of the client be informed of applicable restrictions. For example, some countries may have rules that restrict the use of unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) to: line‐of‐sight operation only, specific airspace & maximum altitude, and/or prior approval by the authorities in charge (e.g. FAA).
This is not the place to be discussing flying such model aircraft at those altitudes. You cannot fly at that altitude without the appropriate FAA authorization. AMA rules pretty much state this.

For basic electric RC aircraft information and help, the best place to look is in the Electric Aircraft forum. If you wish, I can move this over to that forum.

CGr.
CGRetired is absolutely correct. RCU has an entire forum dedicated to UAV's. I have ever moved this thread to that forun

Ken

Old 12-10-2012, 05:55 PM
techfeene05

Thanks for the reply CGr.  If the best place for this post is in the other forum feel free to move it.  I am totally new to this site (2 hours?).  As for the other issue of us flying at that altitude, we have FAA authorization, and i never said this was a "RC hobby aircraft."  I understand the forum i'm in but who better to get help than the guys who do this for fun?  Trust me these flights always take place with FAA authorization . So no worries there!

Thanks