Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > FPV, UAV & Drones
Reload this Page >

Octocopter build - parts list, suggestions, links, achievements etc

Notices
FPV, UAV & Drones Discuss all aspects of First Person View (FPV), Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) and Drones in this forum

Octocopter build - parts list, suggestions, links, achievements etc

Old 11-06-2013, 04:41 PM
DroneGuy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Octocopter build - parts list, suggestions, links, achievements etc

Building my own Octo -copter with these specs:

Parts list:
Frame: Streak 1000
Rotors: x8 Team BlackSheep 750kV
Propellers: x8 APC Propeller 14x4"
FPV Mount: Alware Advanced 3-axises
FPV Camera: Canon 550D
FPV Monitor: FatShark video goggles, or Samsung 55" monitor.
Microcontroller: MultiWii PRO 2.0 Flight Controller w/MTK GPS Module
Batteries: 4x 11,1v 12 000mAh from MaxAmps.com
Parachute-Emergancy-System: Mars 120 form Marsparachutes.com (Will wait a little with this one.)

Parts yet to be chosen:
RC-transmitter: Suggestions? Look at my requirements down below.
AV-Transmitter and receiver: Suggestions? Look at my requirements down below.
AV and RC antennas: Suggestions? Look at my requirements down bellow.

Estimated achievements:

Estimated flight range: 5 - 8 KM
Estimated flight time: 1 hour 20 minutes - 2 hours.

Other info:
Budget: Not important, but would like to get it as cheap as I can, within my requirements.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________
For other build-newbies that would like some useful links:

If you want to build your own:
Tutorial: http://blog.oscarliang.net/build-a-q...rs-tutorial-1/

For a list of what the microcontroller includes, or for what you should use, here is a list;
http://robot-kingdom.com/best-flight...d-multicopter/
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

Previous problems that will be solved:

Connection loss:
If I loose signal and loose the drone? No problem. The microcontroller have a Return-Home function, so it will come back to the exact coordinates I have programmed as "home" if connection is lost.

Functional problems:
If it gets a malfunction while flying on high altitude? No problem either, with the Mars 120 parachute it deploys a 120" parachute if fast altitude-drop.

Suggestion requirements:

RC-Transmitter:
Does anyone have any suggestions to good RC controllers? It needs to include some programmable buttons, since I need to connect a servo to one of them, to click the take-picture button on the 550D. The drone will be used for long-range flights and aerial-photography. I normally use a GoPro Hero3 Black Edition. Never flown Octo's before, but flown plenty of quad.

AV-Transmitter and Reciever:
Needs VERY good range, and have to be able to penetrate building, trees etc. Will be flown far, and between buildings and trees.

AV and RC antennas:
Same as AV-Transmitter and Reciever - needs GOOD range.

General Information:

I saw this guy on Youtube which hovered for 25 minutes with 12KG on his Octo. Mine will be (calculated) 5 - 6 KG. So I expect drastically increased flight time, plus; he had 4 (11,1v) 11 000 mAh batteries. I'll have 4x (11,1v) 12 000 mAh batteries. So battery time should it be plenty of.
(More to be added)

If you have any suggestions to any of my parts choice, please leave a post! I'll take any expertise I can get. Also, have I chosen the right propellers and rotors you think? I need to be able to climb easy, and have top-notch maneuverability.

Thanks in advance,
DroneGuy.

Last edited by DroneGuy; 11-06-2013 at 04:48 PM.