Go Back  RCU Forums > Aircraft - electric – Multi-rotors (Drones) > Drones Talk
Reload this Page >

5 Drones Delay Firefighting Efforts - LA

Notices
Drones Talk This forum is for Multi-Rotor pilots and enthusiasts to talk about subjects that don’t quite fit into any other forum.

5 Drones Delay Firefighting Efforts - LA

Old 07-18-2015, 12:20 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default 5 Drones Delay Firefighting Efforts - LA

When are you guys going to figure this out? When our hobby is ruined is too late. When people and property are killed and destroyed is too late.
Take some responsibility for yourselves AND your fellow modellers in this RC flight segment and get this under control!!!

Im not going to lose my right to fly model airplanes because of your stupidity.

If you see someone using poor judgement SPEAK UP OR TURN THEM IN!!!

Los Angeles, CA

"Air crews had to dump their payloads and land"

Last edited by Chris Nicastro; 07-18-2015 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:15 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FIRE CREWS AND HELICOPTER OPERATORS SHOULD HAVE TRAINED SHOTGUNNERS!!!!

Having been associated with fire activity professionally I know it is critical that those risking their lives to surpress those wildfires with aircraft have no additional risks placed on them. Not only does this place risk on aircraft it, prohibits aircraft from
aiding ground crews who might be in a tight spot (I have been there). Nothing like an S-2 coming out of the smoke and making a drop on a fire that is about to overrun you or a Sky Crane providing protection at the right time.

About three years in a Fed. Prison sounds about right, no exceptions, this is serious stuff!
Old 07-19-2015, 07:40 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is the link if anyone cares to read it.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/drones-dela...ry?id=32534795
They state it is near a popular spot to fly helis. So is this an organized club flying site or just a bunch of common sense lacking fliers out with their dji's? If it's an organized club then the hammer should fall on those members. If it's just a bunch of morons then there is not much that will be done.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:12 PM
Gizmo-RCU

Brian,

Think you are wrong, they will hammer anyone doing such and I hope the sooner the better! My background is LE and I worked that area years ago and I know how serious this can be. Hope AMA spends
time on this and is public about it.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:17 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Gizmo-RCU;12072171]FIRE CREWS AND HELICOPTER OPERATORS SHOULD HAVE TRAINED SHOTGUNNERS!!!!

...QUOTE]

I have a 10 GA goose gun that should take them out from the ground. Anyone want to borrow it? Sincerely!
Old 07-22-2015, 07:24 AM
Chris Nicastro

http://bniussr.ning.com/wildland-fir...-drone-dangers

Read this from the pilots point of view

Last edited by Chris Nicastro; 07-22-2015 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:56 PM
Gizmo-RCU

Contacted AMA and was advised they are having their PR firm send out a letter (soon I persume?) This is long after the news cycle and will be be used as filler if at all, unless this happens again.............Guess that's why the increase in dues?
Old 07-22-2015, 07:35 PM
Chris Nicastro

Pretty sure these idiots are not members of the AMA... Lol
Old 07-23-2015, 05:12 PM
Gizmo-RCU

I agree Chris, except the public and public agencies would never figure that out unless AMA makes it know when it is news worthy and they don't seem to be in a hurry to do that? The average uninformed person on the streets does not
know the diffrence.............
Old 07-25-2015, 02:33 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Originally Posted by Gizmo-RCU
I agree Chris, except the public and public agencies would never figure that out unless AMA makes it know when it is news worthy and they don't seem to be in a hurry to do that? The average uninformed person on the streets does not
know the diffrence.............
Gizmo: This very subject has been discussed to very great lengths in the AMA Discussions Forum, "Another Drone Pilot Does it Again." I started the thread, and I certainly am not directing you to read this thread, it's way to,oo long. It in fact discusses the very point you are making. The AMA, somehow has been in the background, and not voicing their opinion, so we should, to protect our hobby, and not let a few Idiots ruin it for us all.

Last edited by FLAPHappy; 07-25-2015 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:19 PM
Gizmo-RCU

Thanks, Ya, what do you do? I guess just hope it works out?
Old 09-03-2015, 09:27 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Hi,
Uh, I take it that the AMA is "American Modelers Association"? Who are they and where are they?? And WHY aren't they standing up for those of us who wish to operate our fliers RESPONSIBLY? I am not a flier, yet, I am interested. I would hate to see this aspect of The Hobby "shot down" because of a few morons with more money than sense. Flying near airports? Wildfires? What kind of IDIOT does that?? The same ones that point lasers at airplanes?! They should all be thrown in the pokey!!

I wrote an email to AirAge media, publisher of RC Car Action and RotorDrone, expressing my concern, not knowing who else to write to. Haven't gotten a response. There needs to be a letter-writing campaign to the AMA to get them to come out in the media and represent us, the responsible people!!! Otherwise, the knee-jerk reaction from the Regular Joe on the street is going to be "ban 'em all!" Seriously, we should all be howling at whatever RC organization there is, AMA or whatever, to STAND UP and let the people know these morons aren't "us". WHERE DO WE START???
Old 09-04-2015, 02:32 AM
Propworn

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by EXT2Rob
Hi,
Uh, I take it that the AMA is "American Modelers Association"? Who are they and where are they?? And WHY aren't they standing up for those of us who wish to operate our fliers RESPONSIBLY? I am not a flier, yet, I am interested. I would hate to see this aspect of The Hobby "shot down" because of a few morons with more money than sense. Flying near airports? Wildfires? What kind of IDIOT does that?? The same ones that point lasers at airplanes?! They should all be thrown in the pokey!!

I wrote an email to AirAge media, publisher of RC Car Action and RotorDrone, expressing my concern, not knowing who else to write to. Haven't gotten a response. There needs to be a letter-writing campaign to the AMA to get them to come out in the media and represent us, the responsible people!!! Otherwise, the knee-jerk reaction from the Regular Joe on the street is going to be "ban 'em all!" Seriously, we should all be howling at whatever RC organization there is, AMA or whatever, to STAND UP and let the people know these morons aren't "us". WHERE DO WE START???
You want support from the AMA then you need to join the AMA to many want something for free eh!!!!!!!

Dennis
Old 09-04-2015, 04:38 AM
Gizmo-RCU

I belong to the AMA for all the good it does!????
Old 09-04-2015, 04:55 AM
Propworn

Originally Posted by Gizmo-RCU
I belong to the AMA for all the good it does!????
If you feel you would be better off on your own then quit/don't join no one will care one way or another. If you think they could do a better job then get off your butt and do something instead of griping about it. So many whiners want everyone else to do everything for them. The world has become a bunch of free loaders who think they are entitled to have everything handed to them. You want something improved; one of your ideas implemented sitting on your hands waiting for someone to hand it to you isn't going to work.

Yes I’m from Canada but we have the same problem a generation or two who think its all about entitlement and someone else to do everything for them. Sad Sad Sad.

Dennis
Old 09-04-2015, 04:37 PM
Gizmo-RCU

I got off my butt, was a club officer for years, AMA66--, CD, etc. Also a professional Law Enforcement Officer for 37 years and held rank. I know how to put out fires, a strong proactive approch works best.
I CALLED AMA AND ESSENTIALLY GOT THE BRUSH OFF! HAVE YOU DONE THAT?
Old 09-05-2015, 07:15 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Bravo, Gizmo!
Yes, Propworn, we try to do something, but those in authority don't care. They're too busy worrying about their own jobs. I've been trying to work an issue in our neighborhood with the County government for several years, and for the most part get nothing but lip service. I've even gotten the other concerned neighbors involved. But has anything substantial happened? No. WE The People don't have the power anymore. The USA has become a Corporatocracy where the only "people" who matter are the top 1%, the rest of us are just resources to be squeezed. The Middle Class is dying. (And TRUMP is the front runner??! Sheesh!)

SO, government is useless. We depend on our organizations that we associate with to hopefully speak for us as a collective, since we as individuals have no power. So YEAH I would EXPECT the AMA to pay us some attention and take some initiative on our part! Otherwise, what good is IT??

Last edited by EXT2Rob; 09-05-2015 at 07:32 AM.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:46 AM
Propworn

Calling doesn't work to easy to ignore and there is little weight behind a phone call as you have found out. Now lots of signatures on a proper petition or one of you showing up at your zone meeting with a ton of proxy votes might just get someone’s attention. Or you could even run for office nothing like getting up front and close to get results. Your right when its only one voice its easy to ignore you.

We in Canada have had several shake ups where zone directors have been replaced. They never talk about it but I bet there is a way for you to impeach your zone director in your charter. If you don't want to run yourself then get behind a representative who will take your issues to the board. When you stop trying they've won haven't they?

I tend to become a little anal when someone ignores me or tells me to go away. In the past I have made these people and issues my personal pet projects and more often than not with lots of effort it can make a difference. Once you do it a few times someone finally realizes that the issue just won’t go away because they wish to ignore it. Some times they are just slow learners.

Dennis