Go Back  RCU Forums > FPV (First-Person View) RC Aircraft Flying and RC Vehicle Operation. > FPV Beginners
Reload this Page >

Looking to get into fpv...what to buy???????????????

Notices
FPV Beginners If you are getting started in FPV this is the place to go for help. Experienced members will help the beginners getting started in FPV, so post your questions you have.

Looking to get into fpv...what to buy???????????????

Old 01-02-2016, 03:27 PM
handyman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to get into fpv...what to buy???????????????

as the titel says.what to buy....i understand there are starter combos.whats good and where to get it...thanks
Old 02-27-2016, 07:14 PM
xRuddyx

Get a set of FatShark goggles. That's what you wear. Buy a quad and put a FatShark 600mhz transmitter on it. On the quad you'll want a fpv camera such as a Sony 600tvl. The goggles have a receiver in them. Buy a lot of props for your quad cuz fpv flying is hard to do.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:41 AM
Sophia Emma

There are packs to buy if you want. Anyways, it will be difficult if you're a starter. Here's an example if you want: all in one combo
Old 03-12-2017, 03:32 PM
Len Todd

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

600 MHz? Maybe you mean a 600 mW Video Transmitter? We have been using the Inductrix indoors. We have some folks using the RTF version. They add the headset which turns the monitor into goggles. Some just fly off using the monitor on the Transmitter. They seem to work well indoors. I think they would not work well outside as they are not as powerful and fast, etc. The flight time is about 4 minutes, indoors. http://www.horizonhobby.com/inductrix-fpv-rtf-blh8500

We also have one user using the new Vusion House Racer. It comes with Tactic Goggles and transmitter. Seems to fly nice and gets around the gym fairly fast. Only problem we have found with it is the Tactic systems do not have model match. If you have more than one tactic user in the area, you may find your racer bound to someone else's transmitter, including Dromida Ominous, etc.. Very dumb of Tactic. But, if you are the only one using Tactic gear you should be O.K. with the Vusion, indoors.

I picked up a TBS XRacer, then they recently discontinued it.Parts are not easy to come by. Also it does not have much in the way of software to assist a rooky when fying. It has been a difficult one to learn to fly! Got a Vortex sitting on the bench. Been waiting for the local weather to improve before I take it out to the field and give it a workout. I have flown it a couple times on a 3S battery and it is a handful and I fly giants, foamies, jets and helis quite successfully.

I would start out with something cheap and meant for indoors. Fab up some gates and pylons and get used to the FPV mode. Then when you can get out to a very large open area then try the outdoor stuff. FPV is different and things can get out of hand quickly. These guys you see on the videos whipping these things around are not rookies! Use a spotter so that you can find it when you crash. Also don't forget we have to see and avoid all full-scale planes!
Old 03-12-2017, 04:18 PM
xRuddyx

Yeah sorry 600 mw
Old 03-12-2017, 04:36 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to try a quad copter get the RISE Vusion RTF system. It's a good flier and you can use the flat panel display as a ground station or install it in the headset.
You could then get a separate camera and transmitter and antenna if you wanted to try it on a plane using the same flat panel display.

You don't want to spend $400-500 on a set of goggles and then find out you can't wear them. With the RISE you can find out if you can wear goggles and then eventually move up to a better set.

A higher powered transmitter is not required and in FPV racing they don't allow anything more powerful than a 200mw and to be honest you don't need anything more powerful than that. What you do need is a very good antenna system. A real good antenna can get better results with a lower powered vtx.

Also you need to have an FCC HAM license(tech license) to legally operate most FPV systems.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:03 PM
xRuddyx

License pishaw. Just hand over your whole paycheck whole youre at it. 600mw
Old 03-14-2017, 07:44 PM
Len Todd

If you think an Amateur Radio license covers what we are doing as FPV, you may want to review Part 97 off the FCC Regulations. As Amateur Radio Operators we are not allowed one-way transmissions, except for a select few types, which FPV is Not one. Also, how do we transmit a station ID on our VTx signals?

The FCC has not kept up with FPV technology. However, that does not excuse us from the laws. Check out Part 97. Not sure they are going to slap the cuffs on us. But, ... in similar situations in the past, they typically picked out a few individuals and slapped them with a $10K+ proposed fine and made sure it hit the news.

One other thing, if there is a financial gain (e.g. purse for a race,) that is not an allowed use in amateur radio. Not sure what the solution is going to be. But when I checked two weeks ago with the ARRL, FPV and drones are causing them fits! Some of the RF equipment being offered on the internet falls in public service RF bands (e.g. Airport Control Tower Freqs.) Also, in my discussion with the ARRL, we also discussed all the above illegal things we are doing with FPV .
Old 03-14-2017, 08:33 PM
xRuddyx

You must be a whole lot of fun at parties bro. Lol I cant believe you wrote all that. Anyway like I just told the dmv that tried to fine me $200 for not having a vehicle insured for 15 days back in 2015- catch me if you can mfers! In life youre either the bat or the ball. Which are you? I even run a booster that brings my vtx to 2200 mw and you know what??nothing happened. I didnt turn into a pumpkin! Awesome signal tho!!!!

Last edited by xRuddyx; 03-14-2017 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Had more to say
Old 03-15-2017, 05:01 AM
Len Todd

My point is that an Amateur Radio license does not legitimize what we are currently doing with FPV. To believe that an Amateur Radio license solves the issues, one is ill informed.

The topic is more complex than some folks apparently choose to understand. What I wrote is the condensed version.

As far as a ball and bat analogy, to fit into that, I guess I would have to be the MLB's General Manager. Only the foolish go forward without evaluating the risks and understanding the potential impact(s). In 47 years of working with RF, I have never seen the baseball bat approach successfully work on the FCC.

I did NOT say that we should stop what we are doing. In my opinion, the Amateur RF Bands are the right place for fleshing out FPV technology. But the current Amateur Radio regs do not allow what were are currently doing. We need to be working with the FCC to change that.

As far as parties, your right. Sometimes the facts can be a downer. But for leaders who have to deal with the public, one has to be aware of the facts and if operating outside of their bounds, understand the risks and do whatever can reasonably be done to mitigate them. In the mean time, informed leaders work with the regulators to merge the regulations with new technology. Bats are not smart enough to do that.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:07 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^post #9 ^^^^
Well boys and girls here in part is the reason we are seeing the problems in the flying community and facing even more regulation. The classic "hooray for me to h#!! with you" , and the "you got yours now where's mine" attitudes. Let's face it, common sense is not a common thing.

Based on that post I'll bet the poster doesn't belong to the AMA or even registered himself with the FAA.

I'm not a big fan of rules and regulations but they exist for a reason and I really don't want any new ones because certain folks want to be rebels and ignore the existing regulations and the rules of common sense.

Having a basic HAM license or a background in radio transmission electronics one would know that a more powerful transmitter is not the best answer for better range in FPV and they would also understand the problems a more powerful vtx can cause.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:27 AM
xRuddyx

You should see what else I do man you guys could write a book about me!
Old 03-15-2017, 02:02 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Good liability insurance. And get yourself a bail bondsman.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:12 PM
wnewbury

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First HAM license is not that difficult. I have experience with the Parrot Bebop drone and cannot recommend it.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:40 PM
xRuddyx

Well thanks for caring sir! You know as well as I that I wont get caught. We have one state cop in my town and hes never even there. Cant be bothered! Hell I cant even spell AMA!! Lol life is too serious to be taken seriously. Anyway nice chat.

Last edited by xRuddyx; 03-15-2017 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:50 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

What do you want to do? fly around? take pictures? maybe race around with some buddies? i would not buy any premade combo... pure crap... i use skyzone diversity goggles-2 receivers and it switches between them.. i have the fat shark prescription inserts in them as i can't see without glasses.. i spent alot on good antennas.. i have one omni and one directional antenna.. for a quad, a 250 racer is a decent all around platform. there are tons out there. it will carry a go pro, and is durable to learn with... i prefer armattan frames as they have a lifetime warranty.. for 50 chris will assemble it, but if you build it yourself you will learn something and be able to repair it. for the video transmitter 200mw is plenty. i like the variable output ones as sometimes less is more.... are there any guys flying around you? someone to help you out can save you hours...

all the stuff to build a nice state of the art race quad complete is going to run 350 then the goggles will add another 300, add a few batteries, antennas, spare parts etc.. you will see 800 or so.. you can save money on a cheaper frame. a zmr is a popular frame but they do break.. i have an armattan armadilo frame that has taken a 100mph impact into a tree and not broken....so better frames have better carbon and take alot to break...

i have bought alot of stuff from ready made rc, rc crazed, and armattan quads. all are good honest companies.. you can buy stuff from banggood and other chinese companies. but stuff takes weeks to months to get it, no real warranty etc....

dont piss around with flat pane screens and other starter junk. if you dont like fpv you cant give it a way. if you do like fpv it will be regulated to the junk drawer after you upgrade.... good quality stuff will always have a decent resale value.. . headplays and fatshark popular around here. i prefer the dual diversity and have had goodluck with the skyzones.. they also make a diversity setup similar to headplays...

if you start with good stuff that works, you will have a good experience then next thing you know you will have 4-5 quads.. it is addicting...

Last edited by 2walla; 03-15-2017 at 07:15 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:15 PM
kennethfunk

I just got the Walkera f210 and Walkera Goggle 4 goggles a couple weeks ago,and they have been Great!!!...still just flying slow,and learning,after each flight I get better and am not so nervous and am having more fun being able to relax more..I got a GoPro mount and did my first GoPro video: )))....