Notices
FPV Equipment Talk about equipment used for First-Peson View Flying.

FPV Camera & Transmitter TVL & mW ratings

Old 09-11-2016, 12:52 PM
MoyRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FPV Camera & Transmitter TVL & mW ratings

Hi Guys,

I’m new to the FPV quadcopter world & therefore looking for your help. I have a few questions concerning FPV gear.

Question 1.
I’ve noticed that the FPV cameras have a rating of either 600TVL, 700TVL, 800TVL etc. What does this mean? More importantly, do I need to purchase a camera with a higher TVL rating? Is there a minimal TVL rating I should stay away from?

Question 2.
The FPV transmitters (I believe also the cameras) have a 200mW and/or 600mW rating. I think it’s some power rating; do I need to get a specific mW rating? Does it matter? Is one power rating more beneficial that the other?

Thanks for your help!
Old 09-11-2016, 01:26 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
Question 1: To keep it simple the higher the tvl rating the higher the quality/detail of the image is and the higher the price. Typically 600tvl is fine for starting out and is what most use.
Question 2: Without knowing what part of the planet you are from it's hard to answer the question. If you are from the USA then you need to have a HAM license to legally operate either of those transmitters. The more powerful the transmitter the more range it will have but you run the risk of interfering with/swamping other fpv users you are flying with/near especially with cheaply made transmitters. For example,FPV racing only allows 200mw units to be used.
Here is a combo camera/transmitter that is great for starting out plus you don't need a FCC/HAM license:http://www.horizonhobby.com/product/multirotor/multirotor-accessories/cameras/ultra-micro-fpv-camera-and-video-transmitter-spmva1100

Old 09-12-2016, 06:03 PM
MoyRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi flyinwalenda,

Thanks for your help, appreciate your input