Notices
FPV, UAV & Drones Discuss all aspects of First Person View (FPV), Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) and Drones in this forum

UAV Jobs

Old 10-24-2010, 08:40 PM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: UAV Jobs

I have been doing some research about uav and serching for some form of entry level jobs. Have 27hrs of r22 helo, only to fall short of money and a broken heart to enter my dream of a professional field of aviation... I Owned and operated my personal automotive repair facility for 8 years prior to finishing my college degree in Kinesiology. I Have an overall above average understanding of aviation includingn flight physics and mechanical theory and oberation. Though it dosent matter in UAV, I have some good thumbs for 3D helos and planes. Obtaining a CFII Helo ticket is not financially possible at this time but was my dream for a while. I'm going crazy to find a way into UAV, feel like it is very fitting for my experience and suits me well. Any pointers!! Please help.. Money is not my object here and I am willing to move.
One would think openings in that field would be plentiful?

A few years ago I did some graphics for a College that was doing research with drones. Yes, my graphics are on their drones. Just simple stuff actually and some logos. No big deal but I had to mention it. I have the photos someplace, I'll see if I can dig them up.

Here's the thing, my contact person, at that time, told me it was common for Universities to do this type of research. Possibly to seed interest and to recruit individuals for job opportunities. My guess is, both Civil and Government.

I would research Colleges and curriculum. You might get lucky with that?

I'm guessing you have little interest in joining the military? As you may know, they do offer schooling and have extensive programs in that area.

Incredible isn't it, what's going on with that stuff!

I feel oblicated to mention this true story because your Thread brought it to mind.

About 18 years ago I bumped into an old friend. Someone I haven't seen since high school or 20 years. We didn't go to the same high school, but we did hang out. We were great friends and as youngsters had much in common.

It was fate. I had just landed my Lake Amphibian at my home airport, and was locking it up, when I saw an individual approach me.

I couldn't believe it was Brian. (His real name.) He had just gotten out of his Citabria, only pulled in for fuel. Brian couldn't believe it was me. Yes, as you can imagine, we had much to talk about. After the small talk, we got serious. We talked about Brian being between jobs. A wife and two daughters, he was concerned. Brian was a Metallurgists and an engineer. He tried everywhere and there were no openings in that field.

Brian, I said, You're an engineer for God's sake, why the hell does it have to be Metallurgy? Get a few books, learn the lingo and apply for other engineering jobs. Nothing hard about that?

Well, Brian did just that. He landed a job in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. He's designing ultra-light aircraft. He's working for a factory that manufacturers them! Brian is an Aviator now working in a field of aviation. Good for Brian!

Interesting story, probably not? But for Brian, it was his opportunity for a career, in a field, he never thought of working in.

I hope things work out for you. You can make it happen!

Best of luck!

Old 10-24-2010, 09:38 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (63)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The story was not at all boring... Actually, I wish something of the sort happened to me. Not that this thread should involve personal reflections but I do consider myself an extremely well rounded individual. I continually have been searching for a career that sets my heart on fire. Yet, continually I have let myself down trying? Im 29 and still searching if at all possilbe for that special connection with a job. The one you actually love going to. Though some never find it, I am willing to sacrifice for a few more years. Im that type of person who accomplish's what my hearts set on and completely loose myself in those situations and shine out on top.

Im not turned off by the services but am turned off when they tell you what can happen if you fail/whatever out of flight school. I passed all the exams and such and gave it a week to settle in and turns out Im wasnt prepared to deal with a BS job in the services if all else fails with flight school.. Warrant Officer!! Im not in need of military decipline and or the lifestyle. If anything I am seriously more simple that the army life as is, and certainly disiplined, so no need to be redundant as a service man.

UAV jobs from my finding all require some form of experience.... and or CFI, CFII, private, instrument ect.... all want linux cpu experience or equivelant.. The list goes on and on, but yet I only found 3 aviation schools offering schooling on the sort. As the industry grows exponentially where are all the work force coming from? Military? There are countless applications for the UAV.. I particulary am hoping to find some form of civilian topography, surveying, pipe line partrol, search and resuce, powerline inspections offered on the west coast. I find it hard to believe the industry is fluxed with newcomers, not your average dream to the majority of the population. Are the jobs Im searching for too low key for your popular internet listings? Or, ar the hits for UAV requireing all these extensive license and certs for greater military and government services? Im really lost? I figure these companies would be in great need of someone with a heart out for aviation, uav, rc, electronics and mechanics?

Still not sure what to think? But thanks for the reply and thanks for reading..

Old 10-24-2010, 09:52 PM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You're young, so don't be so hard on yourself.

I suggest you find out where these UAV aircraft are built? Probably more places than you think?

Assembling these things could get your foot in the door.

Take any position. You could advance, get more training, or chang departments, once your inside. Do as Brian did. He actually got books on aerodynamics and talked his way into a job. I didn't make that story up.

A day at a time.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:24 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Don't be to hard on yourself not being able to find a job in the UAV field. Their are many of us who are overly qualified (in regards to what they minimum job requirements for a particular job is) and still can't get a job in the UAV field.

I've applied with all of the "big name" UAV suppliers / operators as well as 2 or 3 dozen smaller companies... And have not even gotten a phone call or "thanks but no thanks" letter..
My background is FAA A&P mechanic, Fixed wing Commercial (single and Multi-engine), Instrument, CFI, CFII. 2500+ hrs flight time, 20+ years in RC, Security clearance, and the list goes on and on...

Things will happen when they are meant to happen and sometimes (most times) its not who you are, but who you know.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:12 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

GA is a company that hires mostly engineers and qualified full scale pilots. The other jobs listed are for the old boy hiring practises. I have also applied with them and heard nothing. I flew aerial targets for thirteen years and this was a mute point since they are not into radio control pilots of any stature.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:04 PM
Kwesdog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think one of the main problems you are going to run into now is Military, or better yet DoD run operations is where its at as far as experience. Once the wars pull back more and the FAA eases airspace restrictions for SUAS/UAS is when you are going to see a boom for guys with no DoD experience.

It will happen.

Harry