Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > FPV, UAV & Drones
Reload this Page >

New UAV Update

Community
Search
Notices
FPV, UAV & Drones Discuss all aspects of First Person View (FPV), Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) and Drones in this forum

New UAV Update

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 08:30 PM
clarkst

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New UAV Update

I have been working on a UAV for close in low altitude support. Our first controlled flight was 7/31 this year. I have posted some videos which show some of our test platforms and a few of our flying frames. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfkW4fcwGzw

The youtube channel www.youtube.com/n5275q shows the failures and un-failures associated with our tests.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:53 PM
Quacker

Default RE: New UAV Update

Hi Clark,

Very interesting video! I see that you have invested a significant amount in your R&D. I am curious as to whether you internally funded and wonder if you selling any at this point?

Regards,
Q
Old 11-28-2007, 07:47 AM
clarkst

Thank you for noting this! Yes, it has been a significant investment, and it is all private funding.

There are a few things that I need to test prior to marketing this aircraft, such as:

1. Way point navigation
2. Auto stabilization and recovery (auto stabilization if radio signals aer not persent or the pilot releases control, and recovery will include auto land, and/or return to base)
3. Human avoidance
4. Altitude hold
5. Chute deployment
6. Universal Payload Module
7. Manufacture (mass)
8. Video target aquisistion and tracking

We are at different levels of completion on all these items.
The uint has some stabilization and correction capabilities today (16 CPUs on board). The computer handles the motor mixing and control.
The aircraft has a 7 lb payload capacity (max) with a flight time of about 10 min on standard power pack (max PL).
The unit can "pearch and stare" for a few days with enough reserver power to take off and return to base, provided base is not more than a mile or so.
The UPM (payload module) is used for batteries right now, but it can be modifide to accomidate nearly anything 7 lbs and under.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:54 AM
rsbwing

Something to consider.....
If it hovers, it is a stationary target and is easily shot down with small arms.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:47 AM
Quacker

Sent PM to Clark.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:52 PM
UAVTCNJ

Hi,

I'm from The College of New Jersey School of Engineering and I need to design and constuct a UAV for my senior project. I was planning on using a ARF kit for our plan and adding some electronics, hardware, and a camera to it. Does anyone have any idea of how well these planes can lift weight on top of its selfweight? I need to fly rather slowly and it should be as stable as possible since it's going to have to take clear images. Do you have any suggestions for us?

Stephanie
TCNJ UAV Team Manager
Old 11-28-2007, 11:45 PM
PatternPilot
My Feedback: (58)

Steph,

You might want to try this plane either as a glow or electric

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/telemaster12.htm

Scott Anderson
Team Castle Creations
Team Tanicpack.com
Old 11-29-2007, 08:34 AM
clarkst

In regard to it being a target. Good, this could be its service. In a law enforcement or military situation when you succeed in distracting your target you obtain at least two valuable advantages, one, he has just given away his position, two, he has been distracted. Perhaps saving a life.
The Carbon fiber/ Kevlar skin is extremely though, but we are not under the impression it is bullet proof (shot gun test video will be coming soon).
As you can see from the not so successful chute test below, it is strong. This vehicle was flying again later the next day. Repairs where complete in the time it took for the 30 min epoxy to dry. 2 broken motor mounts, 3 broken props. The motor mounting tubs are made to be field replicable, which had I had any pares on hand, would have reduced down time to about 15 min.

Good observation.
Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YujB0sYO1Ts
Old 11-29-2007, 08:41 AM
UAVTCNJ

wow, its huge. telemasters are known to be slow and stable i heard. is that true?
Old 11-29-2007, 09:58 AM
shv2sail
My Feedback: (42)

Hello Stephanie- If your UAV's mission is just aerial photography, there are a lot of known airframe platforms that have been/are in use (check out the aerial photography section on both this site and RCG). I personally was planning on building a semi-autonomous aerial photography platform based on a Multiplex Easy Glider airframe: modifying it with twin pusher props and hacking off the nose and replacing with a clear lexan housing with camera mount within. These 'foam' planes from Multiplex are insanely rugged (so you wouldn't have to handle with kid gloves like a balsa ship and would withstand 'flight testing malfunctions'), are very cheap (good for college student), are easily modifyable and slow and stable. Just my $.02
Old 11-29-2007, 10:53 AM
patrickegan

There are lots of good choices but my advice is KISS
Old 11-29-2007, 11:28 AM
UAVTCNJ

the plane needs take pictures and send them to the ground for analyzation since we need to locate targets on the ground. the competition we're entering is here http://uav.navair.navy.mil/seafarers/default.htm if anyone is interested in knowing more about it.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:51 PM
rsbwing

Clarkst,

Engaging the UAV would and could give up your location if it is not already know. The advantage of engaging the UAV would be to take away there advantage, now the bad guy can move with out being seen. As for law enforcement, I do see it being a distraction device. I think you could get the same results with a trained attack dog.

I know that finding a person on the ground while flying over head is next to impossible, even when you know where to look. I did a test last fall at a range made up of storage containers simulating a desert strong hold (hostage rescue kind of stuff). I had a .90 heli in hover 200 ft alt. and 300 ft offset from the test site. We used both an IR camera and a hi res Sony on a stabilized pan and tilt. It was next to imposible to find targets for the assualt team on the large laptop display. If the target subjects did not move your eye did not see them. After a full week of flying it was clear our eyes in the sky were of little use or advantage. What it did do was let the bad guys know the good guys were in the area and on there way. If it were possible.... the bad guys could have taken out the UAV at any time.

Keep up the good work.....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47072.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	814785  
Old 11-29-2007, 05:51 PM
PatternPilot

Steph,

This would be a good platform since the size and speed, You can walk faster than it flies if set up right and if you want no vibration go electric and can act like a sailplane while shooting photos..
Just my 2 cents..

Scott Anderson
Team Tanicpacks.com
Team Castle Creations
Hermes450
Old 11-29-2007, 10:56 PM
UAVTCNJ

thanks, i've been looking into the 8 foot model too. we're trying to decide between electric and glow. what are pros and cons of each considering we're a team of college kids with a limited budget, little to no experience, and need a working model in june?
Old 11-30-2007, 09:19 AM
clarkst

If what you say is so, what reason would I have to "keep up the good work"?
We have had different results, that is my driver.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:55 PM
PatternPilot

Steph,

Last year I helped the UT students with a UAV project so I'm sure you have limits and requirements. But electric less vibration and I know this from flying competition aerobatics and have been electric now for 3 years and having several companies behind me helps..<vbg>
Anyhow yes electric would be costly and not sure how long your mission has to be it might not be a option, glow would be the next best way
and is not very costly and no special equipment needed, you could throttle back to a idle for the photos. I will look later at the link for your project later this weekend.
Glad to see your planning ahead, the UT students gave me 3 weeks to help them and it just did not happen from on paper to flying..
that's another story..

Feel free to contact me direct at [email protected] if you like also.

I also have HERMES 450 flight time..37 foot wing at 420 kg..

Scott Anderson
Team Tanicpacks.com
Team Castle Creations
Old 11-30-2007, 09:17 PM
clarkst

Steph, I have some video taken from a Telemaster electric. Great plane, good qualty aircraft, easy to fly, and can carry a camera, battery and transmitter wth no problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPaWacJYNyI
Old 12-04-2007, 08:09 AM
clarkst

I forgot to show you this. Mine can shoot back!

Name:	Jh15467.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	818298  
Old 12-06-2007, 12:43 AM
EddieWeeks

You need to convert all those lift fans to variable pitch, run them at a constant speed then you will have real stability!!

Like this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRI_VuptnGY

Eddie
Old 12-06-2007, 11:28 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

Looking at the rules of the competition, the airframe and engine should be the easiest part of the equation. Defining your avionics to meet the competition requirements looks pretty hard! Glow fuel is cheapest and most flexible option, especially if you can keep it in the 90 or less size four stroke. I can easily fly a 90 fourstroke at 1/2 throttle for 20 minutes with a 14 oz tank. For a total mission time of 40 minutes, depending on the distance, a 20-25 oz tank should be plenty. You need to design your navigation and surveillance system first, determine the final weight of that system, and then you can define your airlift needs. Keep your wing loading between 17-24 ozs/square foot, and you'll have a nice slow, stable flyer that won't get blown around to easily by the cross winds.

Brad
Old 02-23-2008, 12:03 PM
jeffk464

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something tells me that mounting a handgun or your rc helicopter voids your AMA insurance policy.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:45 PM
Pecanpatch

Flying Saucers are coming, believe it!

U.A.V. in the works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKiQqORDnJQ

Name:	Mk25029.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	1061610