Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > FPV, UAV & Drones
Reload this Page >

Fixed Wing Airplane, good sized internal bay.

Community
Search
Notices
FPV, UAV & Drones Discuss all aspects of First Person View (FPV), Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) and Drones in this forum

Fixed Wing Airplane, good sized internal bay.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 08:55 AM
derrick_chi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed Wing Airplane, good sized internal bay.

Hi Guys

I need a fixed wing (flying wing) electric powered airplane which is capable of carring about 2lbs of payload. Has to have a good sized internal bay for carring electronics, can you guys make an suggestions? OH yeah and I need a prebuilt body, ARF ( doesn't have to come with electronics just the aircraft body ).
Old 08-12-2009, 09:05 AM
cmoulder

Default RE: Fixed Wing Airplane, good sized internal bay.

Perhaps the [link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/srtele-arf.htm]Telemaster Senior[/link] from Hobby-Lobby.

Big, boxy fuse that is easily modified, and Hobby-Lobby also has an adequate power system figured out for it.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:08 AM
derrick_chi

Hi

OK I believe I made a mistake when I said fixed wing I meant flying wing, please forgive my ignorance. I need something like a glider which can stay aloft easily with little power. Something like this >

http://engineeringtv.com/blogs/etv/a...-wing-uav.aspx

Old 08-12-2009, 09:29 AM
cmoulder

Actually, the Telemaster can stay aloft with little power once airborne. But it all depends on how long you want to stay aloft, what distance you wish to cover, whether you want to do a long out-and-back route or to loiter for a long time not far from the take-off location. In short, what are your mission parameters??

Do you have some autopilot experience? If not, it is better to start off with an airframe and autopilot combination that are somewhat easier to integrate, then try the Zagi and then something larger. Even the plane in the video you linked would be hard-pressed to carry a 2-lb payload, but I suspect that they intend to use much more sophisticated and lighter (and MUCH more expensive) payloads for their "Bats."
Old 08-12-2009, 10:31 AM
Quacker

The Senior Tele is still a very good choice. If this helps: I fly mine with a 6S1P 5000mah pack and an AXI 4130/16 (plenty o' power) and it easily flies for way more than 30 minutes.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:40 AM
derrick_chi

cmoulder

Mission parameters: Well basically I want the plane to fly a predetermined path and record images and send back a live video stream to a ground station basically recon. The area though will be under a mile in circumference and the flight pattern will zig zag and cris cross through the area to cover as much ground as possible for time spands of beyond 30 mins.

I will be using an autopilot the one from DIY drones more than likly and some custom hardware of my own, and you are right 2 lbs might be over kill but I was intentionally over estimating the load weight.

Quacker: Thanks I'll take a look.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:54 PM
Quacker

If you'd like to see a Senior Telemaster with Iftron 5.8GHz video downlink, go to the bottom of this page:

www.iftrontech.com

Remember that this is compressed for the web, so the picture will actually be even better.

Q
Old 08-13-2009, 07:14 AM
derrick_chi

I would actually perfer a flying wing design, like the B2 or something similar so I can load the electronics across the wings for even weight distribution, and I would like it to be ARF.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:26 AM
Quacker

Hi Derrick,

One last comment - the balance point on a flying wing is much more sensitive than conventional aircraft. Thus if you are frequently loading different equipment or changing the position, you will be obligated to pay close attention to the CG. You might want to consider this when selecting an aircraft that is suitable for your purposes.

Regards -
Old 08-13-2009, 12:58 PM
cmoulder

ORIGINAL: derrick_chi

I would actually perfer a flying wing design, like the B2 or something similar so I can load the electronics across the wings for even weight distribution, and I would like it to be ARF.
If you want RTF, [link=http://www.rpflightsystems.com/wing.htm]it's available[/link]![X(]