Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > FPV, UAV & Drones
Reload this Page >

Looking for UAV/UAS job. Can anyone help?

Community
Search
Notices
FPV, UAV & Drones Discuss all aspects of First Person View (FPV), Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) and Drones in this forum

Looking for UAV/UAS job. Can anyone help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 04:24 PM
dave_anderson
My Feedback: (47)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for UAV/UAS job. Can anyone help?

Hi Fellas!

I am coming to the end of my US Air Force flying career and want to make the change/break into the UAV/UAS field. I have been throwing out résumé’s and gotten a few nibbles and an interview.

Are any of you guys currently working in the UAV/UAS field in any capacity? I'd like to hear about your company and search their openings.

I've already spoken with Patrick Roy from Insitu and Bill Hempel from Northrop Grumman.

I'm about 5 months out from being able to start. Deploying is NOT A PROBLEM. I do have a clearance and an FAA Class II.

Hope to hear from ya!

Dave
Old 08-19-2009, 06:20 PM
fatfreddy17
My Feedback: (43)

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Looking for UAV/UAS job. Can anyone help?

Why not fly UAV's for the USAF?

With the economy down as it is, gonna be hard to find any kind of work in the private sector.

If was I was a little younger, I would be looking inot UAV's for the USAF. I am 44 years old.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:05 AM
tankertoad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Looking for UAV/UAS job. Can anyone help?

Dave - I'm not sure what your flying background is, but there are UAV options in Dept of Homeland Security and many air guard units that lost their fighters are going UAVs (Fargo, Terre Haute, etc). If you don't mind making less $, there are universities that are looking for UAV experience like UND in Grand Forks. They just started up a UAV program and partnered with the AF base (big UAV future there, if you don't mind living up north). Unless you are wanting to leave the AF for the sake of leaving the AF (and I wouldn't blame you with all the generals and politicians running it into the ground), then I would stay and go west where the air is dry and the planes are pilotless.

Lots of heavy guys in the AF going UAVs because they are sick of deploying, plus the training is useful for life after Uncle Sam. It sounds like a lot of fighter guys are ticked about the loss of cockpits, but the MAF guys are just as fed up for other reasons. All the guys I know that have gone to UAVs love it. It's a huge growth industry for the AF and you get to see your family. The locations leave something to be desired. I see little change in that due to the FAA not wanting to see UAVs co-mingle with the 7:15 out of Chicago.

Good luck!