Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > FPV, UAV & Drones
Reload this Page >

FPV info and help

Community
Search
Notices
FPV, UAV & Drones Discuss all aspects of First Person View (FPV), Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) and Drones in this forum

FPV info and help

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 12:27 PM
handyman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FPV info and help

looking to buy one,,,,,,,,,few?????????s 1. where the best place to get a set up....2.,at one point can you fly with the glases.....3.and last, for the money is it worth it....................and other help would be great
Old 01-24-2010, 01:15 PM
eagle1945

Default RE: FPV info and help

I guess it's all dependant on what you are willing to spend.  I've been looking at systems from $29 to $5000 or better, with auto takeoff and landing. These systems can can be programmed to do specific tasks at preset times or locations. Like take pictures, turn on a vidio camera, drop a marker bouy.and more. I my self am working on a uav for search and rescue capabilitys. using a true anphibian platform.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:41 PM
mboland

Have a look at RangeVideo.com, they have a good selection of stuff to get you started, and keep you going to whatever level you like.

I am sure if you do a google you will also find others, but Rangevideo has given me good service, prompt delivery, and reasonable prices.

The video goggles are probably the most expensive part of the system but are well worth it. We even use them for the search and rescue tasks as it immerses the viewer in the image much more so than just staring at a screen.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:08 PM
rcfan450

What about using a portable DVD player for the screen instead? How would a person do that?
Old 04-13-2010, 12:00 AM
mboland

Provided your player has a video input to act as a screen, you could use that.
But it is no good if you want to use a pan/tilt hooked to a head tracker.
And really, this is what makes it all possible, as flying with fixed forward image is like trying to fly looking through a keyhole.

All to often you are cruising around and lose your bearings, especially when looking straight ahead. But with the pan/tilt you can look around and generally always spot a landmark or recognisable object. It also makes flying more accurate as you can look along the wing for the right moment to turn, especially important when turning onto finals for landing.