RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   FPV, UAV & Drones (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fpv-uav-drones-486/)
-   -   Advise with new FPV (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fpv-uav-drones-486/11641285-advise-new-fpv.html)

RDscuba 08-26-2017 11:45 AM

Advise with new FPV

Greetings everyone! I am looking for advice and guidance from this seasoned bunch of hobbyists. I am looking to enter into the FPV arena and would like some help. To date, the only input and advice I have sought were from sales staff at my LHS and online. While everyone I spoke to also flys FPV I must assume they have biased opinions based on what they stock and sell.

First, a little about me in case it helps... I have been in the R/C hobby at one level or another for about 30 years. Started with fixed wing out of high school and slowly evolved to helicopters about 15 years ago. Helicopters are on the shelf now, only come down 1-2 times a year for a day or so. Ive moved on to a DJI Phantom... like photography/videography attributes. Have flown and provided footage for local news/tv as well as for LEO purposes. Also do R/C truck bashing with wife/kids. I am a licensed amateur radio operator ( I know some of the video options require this)

Now, on to the questions. With help, I have assembled two "wish" lists.

Online List: $800 +/- with coupons

SkyZone V2 FPV Multi-Function Goggles
Diatone 2017 GT200S Stretch Racing Drone
Spektrum RC DX6 Gen 3 2.4GHz DSMX 6 Channel Radio
Spektrum RC DSMX Quad Race Receiver w/Diversity

Local Hobby List: $800.00 +/-

Fat Shark Teleporter V4
Horizon Theory XL5
Spektrum RC DX6 2.4GHz DSMX 6-Channel Radio System (NOT gen3)

I am asking for input on these two options from each of you. I am at the max budget at $800.00 (we are building a house - discretionary spending is supposed to be suspended - oops!).

Let me know the good bad and ugly...

Thanks!

ican3d 12-17-2017 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by RDscuba (Post 12363258)
Greetings everyone! I am looking for advice and guidance from this seasoned bunch of hobbyists. I am looking to enter into the FPV arena and would like some help. To date, the only input and advice I have sought were from sales staff at my LHS and online. While everyone I spoke to also flys FPV I must assume they have biased opinions based on what they stock and sell.

Now, on to the questions. With help, I have assembled two "wish" lists.

Online List: $800 +/- with coupons

SkyZone V2 FPV Multi-Function Goggles
Diatone 2017 GT200S Stretch Racing Drone
Spektrum RC DX6 Gen 3 2.4GHz DSMX 6 Channel Radio
Spektrum RC DSMX Quad Race Receiver w/Diversity

Thanks!

The first option is much better because you have a diversity goggle, improve FOV, high resolution view per-eye piece which is very close to its rival high specification like the Fatshark Dominator while its Teleporter type is very basic base end models as listed on your option 2. You'll get more spare parts availability for Diatone models globally. That is based on my experience having both similar types of products i used on FPV except the spektrum. If your first time on FPV concentrate more budget on high end FPV goggle because its a "one time" investment and a good FPV equipment will give great experience and enjoyment on your first impression.