RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   FPV, UAV & Drones (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fpv-uav-drones-486/)
-   -   UAV from San Antonio to Las Vegas (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fpv-uav-drones-486/7031241-uav-san-antonio-las-vegas.html)

vegasjet 02-05-2008 11:02 PM

UAV from San Antonio to Las Vegas

Does anyone know about long distance technology for UAV aircraft? I'm planning on flying a large(144'' wingspan, 156'' fuselage length) homemade learjet type design aircraft from San Antonio to Las Vegas. I'm currently thinking about using a satellite, but if there is another way it would be interesting for me to know. Any questions or advice would be great.

Devin

B Shipp 02-06-2008 10:37 PM

RE: UAV from San Antonio to Las Vegas

Any DHS folks want to chime in here? :D

T45WingNut 02-07-2008 01:53 AM

vegasjet

First off.. you say ( in a other post ) "I am a beginner in the rc plane world" thats kinda got me worry.. UAV and RC are not the same I dont care what anyone tells you on this page.. all so you talking about flying from TX to NV????? do you know what all you have to do with the FAA to get the ok to do such a flight ??? I dont want to shoot you down on this but you really need to do some research on the FAA page.. for one a 80lbs RC model is way over the AMA limits .. when you get in the that wight Class you have to get Type Certificate Experimental threw the FAA.. http://www.faa.gov/aircraft/air_cert...rt/experiment/

http://www.faa.gov/aircraft/air_cert...approvals/uas/
or a COA.. I am sure some others will chime in on this all so.. I have been in the UAV game a number of years and have Built many UAV's for places like Boeing ,Grumman ,and Aurora, and well I dont care what anyone tells you.. you cant just build something of that size and go fly it cross Country with out doing the hard work of Testing and going threw the right channels to keep you self out of Jail. there is a right way to do this and a wrong way.. and well I think you are heading down the wrong path..

Dont get me wrong i think its a Cool idea. but just think you need to look in to it more.. and if you really dont have the experience in Building Aircraft find some one that can help or do it for you.. there is allot to doing something in that size and that kinda long flight....

I know i may PI$$ off some people on here.... If I do Sorry.. but there are Rules we all have to live by and well if some one don't go by them then we all end up paying for it..

cmoulder 02-07-2008 05:12 AM

ORIGINAL: B Shipp

Any DHS folks want to chime in here? :D
DHS... or Bellevue[:o]

To save a lot of time, another alternative would be to flush $250,000 down the toilet and surrender voluntarily at the nearest federal penitentiary.

tail strike 02-07-2008 01:42 PM

In this day and age and if view of current events this kind of talk scares m
I would hate for some budding terrorist to fly a UAV into Las Vegas (I live there) or any other place for that matter
loaded with C4 or maybe a biological agent.
Our Hobby/ sport is under enough pressure without this kind of talk. [:o]

T45WingNut 02-07-2008 02:23 PM

Tail strike
i did not even think about C4 or anything other like that.. what scares me about His project is the Fact of something like that flying over people and property . something of the size he is talking about. if it came down would do allot of damage with out something like C4 in it.. and well if he try to do it with out going threw the proper channels ( I dont think they would let it fly anyways ) then he is in for some jail time...

you are right The RC Hobby is under enough pressure.. and under the microscope .. something like this would not really help..

vegasjet 02-07-2008 05:35 PM

Hello, everybody, I'm very knowledged in what I'm dealing with here and it is not like I don't see the risk right in front of my face. Of course, I'm going to play the chess game smart here and I definetly know what I'm up against with the FAA. In fact, I think that's going to be my toughest firewall throughout this entire project. I'm not the type of person that would carelessly fly a 90 pound plane into the skies. This is going to take a lot of careful time and testing. Hopefully you fellow rc members don't think I'm an ignorant terrorist, do you?! I'm going to take this the smart way, like I should. This is an extremely dangerous matter and I'm aiming for the safe route. I'm completly open minded about how this could affect the hobby that millions are currently engaged in, because I would, too, be pretty PI$$ED off if the government were to, at all, in any way, affect what we enjoy.

In Regards

Devin

Bad_Daddy 02-07-2008 07:20 PM

I hope somebody from around the San Antonio area figures out who this nut is and stops him. He's been on the forum a very short time, asked questions like "How do i cover a plane?" and "Is 30 lbs of thrust enough . . . ?" and suddenly he's an expert who knows better than the AMA and the FAA as to what kind of remote piloting is possible and should be allowed. Quite frankly, this kind of non-thinking scares me into thinking my thousands of RC dollars will be turned into a collection of wall art because the sport has been deemed illegal, due to the actions of some nut! Think of the consequences !
RPV might seem pretty cool, but since the typical sport pilot has no onboard sensors (like radar) to detect other craft, and limited to a monoscopic view, it is similar to licensing a one-eyed pilot who is incapable of turning his head or looking up/down to fly an airplane over your house, at 120+ miles per hour. THAT is why the AMA and the FAA limits "legal" flight to line-of-sight flying, and that is further restricted if it is too near full-scale craft or airports. And why you don't see many one-eyed pilots.

Please, somebody stop him! [sm=drowning.gif]

vegasjet 02-07-2008 08:33 PM

Bad Daddy, this is an innopropriate connversation to be having, considering you clearly have no idea who I am or why I'm doing this. I have much former experience with UAV's I just haven't actually 'built one yet'. The reason why I asked the question above is because it would have been interesting to find out an alternative way. When I was asking the,"Is a 30 pound thrust turbine powerful enough for a 90 pound....", I already knew the answer, I just wanted to see what the public would say about it. Just like 'high horse' says in the other post,"If typos/brain farts were nickels, we'd all be rich. I don't see what's wrong with a "brain fart" every now and then, don't ya think! The initial flight won't be done for atleast 5 years, if not more, so I don't know why y'all are sweatin it. It would be great if we could finish this lovely converasation more appropriatly, instead of whining about how our $5,000 jets are gonna be put up on the terrible "STATIC WALL", when instead, yes, you could reason with that horrible "NUT" with a crazy idea to fly a bomb into LAS VEGAS!

Devin

farr301 02-07-2008 09:45 PM

What is your intention on this. I know i'm a beginner, but you might want to inform us well on your intentions with this project before people load you up with information. I believe the 30 pound thrust question was a noob question and you came up with the "brain fart" thing to cover it up. This is just my thoughts and i could be completely wrong, but then again i could be right.

How about some pics of your UAV's you have flown or some rc planes of yours. Oh and don't forget your reason behind this flight.

Just my opinion
Farr301

DT56 02-08-2008 11:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

Tired Old Man 02-26-2008 06:36 PM

Just pass this thread along to Homeland Security. That should be the end of the endeavor in pretty short order.

T45WingNut 02-29-2008 01:51 AM

I dont know where this guy gets his information from.. but i know it take a lot of paper work even to get a COA to do test flights.. been going threw that this pass year on a project..

Tired Old Man 03-06-2008 01:54 AM

I know what you mean. I work for a company that has them and I have a fair idea of what's involved. Which is why the noted previous uav experience seems doubtful. The "I'm going to build it and fly it from here to there" thing just doesn't fit with someone that has experience with uav's. Those that do know better.

Yak13 03-07-2008 01:16 PM

Hi guys.
I wouldnt even bother to be worried about this. I have been working on diverse UAV projects for the past 6 years, and in the way I have met at least 20 people with simplistic ideas of how this should be done. Getting this thing to fly (Learjet???) with a model turbine for more than 1 hour would be a real accomplishment. Just calculate the amount of fuel needed, the speed requierements of the jet-style airframe, etc.
Take it easy!!!

walkermsg 03-23-2008 09:17 AM

Boy ! Do I feel out of my league, my Magister with FPV won't fly far enough to get accross a small lake near my home. I have OSD and GPS but have hit the limit in distance. Hmmm 60 mph tops 20 minutes at half throttle. Las Vegas, I don't think so, not even LAs Vegas , NM 60 miles from here. It's good to lighten up. I don't believe its possible to do the flight mentioned from Texas. Every one here is worried about how the hobby might be shut down. That might happen, I hope not.

timothy thompson 03-23-2008 09:45 AM

troll

tommythecat 04-09-2008 11:18 AM

US civilian airspace is closed to UAV's, period. Even if you can build the UAV you want, you can't fly it. Sorry to be a downer but that is just how it is now.

seanreit 04-09-2008 04:10 PM

ORIGINAL: timothy thompson

troll

I love it, you call someone a troll, and you are arguably the largest troll to the jets forum of RCU over the past 6 months. Did you get your turbine jet on order yet? Tic Toc, tic toc.

FWIW, this guy obviously does not know how to do what he's claiming, so leave him in blissful ignorance. The cost to do what he is suggesting is enormous. I would not think of it any further than you already have.

walkermsg 04-09-2008 08:12 PM

Not to change the subject , I got a "Flight Power Lipo and charged it and it puffed like a ballon, kuckily it didn't catch fire. I used the correct settings, my charger only goes to 2.5 Amp on Lipos. The battery a 2S Lipo 7.4 volt calls for under 5 Amp charge. Anyone else having problems with this manufacturer ? My 1st and probably last of this brand. Seinreit is that an M-60 on you avator ? Can't see it too clear.
Thanks for any info out there.

Harley Condra 05-18-2008 02:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
tommythecat,
A slight correction to your post is in order.

The RQ-4 Global Hawk is the only UAS (Unmanned Aerial System) to meet military and Federal Aviation Administration's airworthiness standards and is certified to fly regular flights within US Airspace.

The USAF versions are operated at Beale AFB California by the 9th Reconnaissance Wing.
Two Block 10 aircraft are being operated by the US Navy at Pax River, Md. to define the operations concept for the maritime surveillance role.

The Global Hawk routinely operates within the FAA control system. The Mission Control Element is at Beale AFB, and operates the vehicle during the entire mission, which could be as far away as the middle east. With a 35 hour duration, the GH can image as much territory as the state of Illinois within a 24 hour period, through solid cloud cover from operational altitudes as high as 65,000 feet.

tommythecat 05-18-2008 07:41 PM

ORIGINAL: Harley Condra

tommythecat,
A slight correction to your post is in order.

The RQ-4 Global Hawk is the only UAS (Unmanned Aerial System) to meet military and Federal Aviation Administration's airworthiness standards and is certified to fly regular flights within US Airspace.

The USAF versions are operated at Beale AFB California by the 9th Reconnaissance Wing.
Two Block 10 aircraft are being operated by the US Navy at Pax River, Md. to define the operations concept for the maritime surveillance role.

The Global Hawk routinely operates within the FAA control system. The Mission Control Element is at Beale AFB, and operates the vehicle during the entire mission, which could be as far away as the middle east. With a 35 hour duration, the GH can image as much territory as the state of Illinois within a 24 hour period, through solid cloud cover from operational altitudes as high as 65,000 feet.

Yeah sorry, I should have qualified that more thoroughly. The military can do whatever they want.

Harley Condra 05-19-2008 09:23 AM

Only if they follow the rules.

The military flys under FAA control....It took quite some time, tons of money, and electronic capability that no other UAV posesses to qualify the GH to fly within civilian airspace. No other UAV can do that.

I was there in the beginning of the Global Hawk developement.....See the Global Hawk thread.