Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > FPV, UAV & Drones
Reload this Page >

Good radio for FPV

Community
Search
Notices
FPV, UAV & Drones Discuss all aspects of First Person View (FPV), Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) and Drones in this forum

Good radio for FPV

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 02:46 PM
katarinaconnors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Good radio for FPV

Being a ham I have older equipment (futaba 9v) with 50 MHz module.. It would seem reasonable to amplify this to a few watts and get great range?... Has anyone done this? I would imagine my stock 6 meter stuff would be more effective than my newer 2.4 radios. Although I have never had an issue with any of them doing normal flying...
Old 03-24-2011, 05:49 PM
Eddie James
My Feedback: (3)

Why not get a Dragon Link?

http://www.terranova.net/~winger/RCV...ite/DragonLink

Here is a google spreadsheet that shows comparisons of the Long Range Systems (LRS):

https://spreadsheets0.google.com/ccc...Aw&hl=en#gid=0

Ibelieve there is a pretty long wait for the dragon link though, but 25 kilometers would indeed be nice.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:16 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: redraze

lol tripple post
lol ...he did make a good point though
Old 03-25-2011, 10:51 AM
plane-addict

ORIGINAL: redraze

ORIGINAL: plane-addict

I think most if not all mentioned radios will work at the distance that you are targeting. However, like most other fpv-ers, after some time you will want to go out further and then nothing is better than one of the 433MHz add-ons that you connect to your radio.
Can you explain in more detail?
I would get a Turnigy 9X from Hobbyking for the 9 (well, 8 actually I think) channels it has. Then I would install other software (see www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php, the software by Erazz) to have more channels, easier programming and more - backlight lcd). Then I would have to make a decision between a few products that connect this transmitter to make it work in/on the UHF band (433MHz). You might want to have a HAM license for this, but I bet that many haven't.

These UHF products make you have a really long range, at least 20km.

The products to choose from are:
- T.L.R.S. from Thomas Scherrer (google)
- DragonLink from DragonLabs (mentioned in this thread, above this post)
- EzUHF from ImmersionRC
- Chainlink From BEVRC (BirdsEye View RC)

I think more products are coming. In the FPV section at the other side there is a wealth of information about these products.Each products has their own thread there and most of these thread are on the 1st two pages.

Let me know if you need more information.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:42 PM
towmater

ORIGINAL: katarinaconnors

Being a ham I have older equipment (futaba 9v) with 50 MHz module.. It would seem reasonable to amplify this to a few watts and get great range?... Has anyone done this? I would imagine my stock 6 meter stuff would be more effective than my newer 2.4 radios. Although I have never had an issue with any of them doing normal flying...
That seems reasonable to me also, 6meter definitely transmits better through vegetation. Just remember if you have a video transmitting at the microwave frequencies, you'll need to maintain line of sight. I think amateur freq s aren't discussed much because of the rarity of their use. I've always wanted to use the frequency but never delved into it enough to find the equipment.