Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > FPV, UAV & Drones
Reload this Page >

Help starting 50cc Cessna UAV project

Community
Search
Notices
FPV, UAV & Drones Discuss all aspects of First Person View (FPV), Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) and Drones in this forum

Help starting 50cc Cessna UAV project

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 03:46 PM
Fawaz-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help starting 50cc Cessna UAV project

Hello there fellas,

I have just started building my UAV platform (50cc Cessna 182 Skylink) I have over 7 years of RC experience, It is going to bea projectfor college. I have stumbled upon a lot of manufacturers and types of autopilots and its accessories... after researchingin a lot ofwebsitesI have cameto conclusion thatI'm completely lost and don’t know which type or make to choosefor the perfect fit to myplatform !!

So now I need your help guys, I’m no electrical engineer neither acomputer engineer, soI need something simple and easy to build andprefer something ready built and easysoftware to use. Not forgetting all these easy and simple hardware and software needs to be accurate andprecise; I don’t want something breakingdown on me and crash my airplane or disappoint my Uni. I would really appreciate your help guys!!
What do you guys think of the paparazzi project??

Old 04-19-2011, 04:22 PM
mboland

Default RE: Help starting 50cc Cessna UAV project

There are quite a few auto pilots on the market these days, from the open source DIY versions like Aurdupilot (which has matured over the past 2 years), to the high end Micropilot (high end for small UAV's anyway).

I have been using the Attopilot with good success over the past 2 years.
Off the shelf, comes complete, and can be set up with IP sensors (cheap) or full IMU.

Although you can operate solely from ground setup you should get some comms solution such as Xbee or XTReam radio modems, the frequency depending on your countries regs.

Check out http://www.attopilotinternational.com/

Mike
Old 04-19-2011, 04:48 PM
Fawaz-

Wow, thanks a lot mbloand,

I just checked their website and I really liked the AttoPilot V2.0 its a complete set but I dont know if it has a modem in that kit ? and what does a modem has to do with it if i may ask ?

http://www.attopilotinternational.co...ttopilot2.html

I dont know if you can answer some of my concerns:

1- can the airplane takeoff and land it self ?
2- is a software included with the kit ?
3- does it use thermopiles sensors ?
4- in the website it says it includes everything, I dont know if there's a GPS in their picture coz it doesnt seem like it, where's the antenna !?
Old 04-19-2011, 06:23 PM
mboland

For the price, the Attopilot is the most complete system I have found.

Auto take off is one of the AP's functions. It holds the aircraft in a straight and level attitude until the set height is reached.
Auto land is a function of the waypoints and airspeed and I am currently working on the combination to get this happening.

The GCS is included with the product but there is a couple of alternative GSC applications that do a great job and are compatible with the Atto.
http://www.millswoodeng.com.au/fd_gcs.html
http://code.google.com/p/happykillmore-gcs/

Both are very good and do the same job differently. I have mainly used the Millswood Engineering GCS as it gives you control over comms very easily and you can modify the app to suite particular applications of the UAV.
I have just started to evaluate the HappyKillmore GCS, but it looks to be a complete all in one package, probably more suited to your application.

Atto is able to use Thermopiles or an IMU. At present I am only using thermopiles to keep the cost down, but eventually I will lash out and get an IMU which will just plug straight in with no alteration required.

The GPS, Thermopiles (XY and Z), SD Card reader, cables and connectors are included with the kit.
The modems are something you can source yourself as everyone seems to have their requirements they are not part of the supplied system.
We use the XTend modems which give us up to 40 miles, but if you require less then the ZBee are a very economical alternative.
Connectors for both are available from Atto.
The new Atto is designed to be talked to over the modem (although you can still program it manually through the SD card if you wish).
The modem is also required for the GCS software to receive the data from the plane and display it for you.

Mike

Old 04-21-2011, 04:09 PM
Fawaz-

Mike,

Thanks a lot for your information and dedicated time to clear things out for me, but I’ve just hit a wall finding that I need an export license to ship this thing outside the US which can take up to 120days. I should probably find a similar product or try and find a solution for this. Anyways thanks again for your help mate, and best of luck with yours.

Regards,
Fawaz.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:56 PM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

Why do/did you need to export it out of the country?
Old 07-19-2011, 06:51 PM
Fawaz-

Vegas, 

Because I'm currently overseas.