Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > FPV, UAV & Drones
Reload this Page >

Want to make an airborn search plane out of my Radian

Community
Search
Notices
FPV, UAV & Drones Discuss all aspects of First Person View (FPV), Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) and Drones in this forum

Want to make an airborn search plane out of my Radian

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 05:07 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Want to make an airborn search plane out of my Radian

I posted this in another forum and it was suggested that it really belongs over here.

I want to make an airborn search plane out of my Radian

I don't know if this is the right place to ask but let's give it a try. Most of the threads seem to be about video recorders, which won't help me, or about expensive FPV systems which are not what I am looking for.

I want to create a search plane for finding lost models. I want to use my Parkzone Radian as the platform.

I would need a real time video system for my Radian that would allow me to search for planes that have gone down in the woods by flying over them and looking down. Usually the planes land on top of trees, bushes or in open spaces that should be visable from the sky.

I am NOT looking for a video camera that records for view later. That would not be helpful.

I am NOT looking for a FPV capability. I will fly the Radian in the normal fashion. Someone else will view the real time video as I fly the Radian. I don't neeed video glasses or anything like that.

I would need a video system that would transmit back to my laptop or some kind of monitor device. Medium res is probably adequate. Figure I need about 1000 foot or more range as I will mostly be looking for RC gliders and we tend to fly high and far out over woods.

This would only look down. I don't need pan or zoom features. If I spot the model I can circle over it to help guide the pilot to his lost model.

Total weight could be as much as 6 ounces but clearly lighter is better. I would want it to be able to remove it easily. Ideal would be something that I could clip under a wing or tape to the side that looks down.

Color would probably be best, but sound would not be needed.

Today we put $150 radio beacons in our big gliders that require a $400 radio direction finder called a walston. The club owns the Walston. But if you don't have a Walston or forgot to put it in the plane you may be looking for the plane for days. And some of these planes cost over $2000. Often we are looking or a newbie's Radian or similar plane and there is no way he is putting a $150 radio beacon in his plane. And even with the Walston it can take some time to find the planes. Sound beacon plane finders are helpful and we often use them but there are times when we still can'f find them. I want to see if I can improve our chances for not a lot of money.

I have no other purpose for this other than to find lost models. This is not for FPV flying of the Radian. The lower the price the better as I hope to not need to use it too much.

I have heard about systems that cost under $100 on 900 mhz and 2.4 but I don't know anything about them. Hopefully you have some experience to share. Those might work. But I have no experience with them. Will they interfere with the 2.4 GHz Spektrum DSM2 system in my Radian? How about a 72 MHz system? Do they really work or are they junk?

I would appreciate any suggestions you could provide.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:01 AM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Want to make an airborn search plane out of my Radian

Hi Ed,

You can check out my Skywalker thread on this forum for more details and photos but it sounds like you want a basic FPV video system to use for real time scanning of lost planes. No OSD (On Screen Display) or Co-pilot. While the FPV video combo systems are quite inexpensive (< $100) the quality of the video may or may not meet your needs. Fortunately, you can always upgrade (at a later time) to an HD camera for around an additional $100-$200. Most of these upgrades will allow both streaming of real time video back to your ground station as well as record the video on-board for later examination. A secondary scan of recorded video may find something not caught on the original flight.

The inexpensive systems really work, which has helped to make this aspect of R/C explode in the past few years. Stay away from 2.4GHz video systems in NY. Mine is 900MHz so I can use my old Futaba 9C 72MHz radio system for longer range (especially when the view is obstructed) and not interfere with the numerous 2.4GHz radio systems.

Regards.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:26 AM
aeajr

Thanks Greg.  Sounds good.  I will check out your thread.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:04 PM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is everything you need except a monitor. You could use a small LCD tv with some cardboard taped to the top/sides. I like 1.2 for the video, but you would need a 1.3 low pass filter for the vTx on the plane.

If your going to buy everything to fly FPV EXCEPT goggles, why not just get a set of Fat Sharks and try some FPV? You will have everything else. You could use a larger TV. I use a 23" LCD.

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=286

Old 07-15-2011, 06:51 AM
aeajr

That is a very complete set-up but it is over $300. A bit more ( about 3X) what I was willing ot invest.

I am beginning to believe that this is not going to happen. Too complex and too expensive for what I want to do.

I may try the video recorder under the wing and see how that works. Maybe that will be adequate.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:05 AM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can go look at hobby king. They have some FPV set-ups for under $100. I seen one that was around $55. The camera sucks. If you upgraded the camera, you would be into it for a little over a $100.