Community
Search
Notices
FPV, UAV & Drones Discuss all aspects of First Person View (FPV), Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) and Drones in this forum

Help???

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 03:17 PM
Snowykoeld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help???

i've heard of FPV since i got into RC tanks and i have recently found out there is gear out there to make things easier for flight FPV.

after attempting to fix my broken 4 channel F4U corsair and breaking it even more, i decided to get a new plane, but one that will be good for FPV.

Ok, i need advice one just about everything. money's kind of short right now, so i'm looking for a 4 channel plane/jet $100 or under. i've found one that fits most of my needs to! its the Pocket Nano P-86 from Banana hobby www.bananahobby.com/2157.html

what do you guys think? good or bad?i already have a transmitter, radio blah blah blah from my gutted F4U. also, is there a way to increase the range of the P-86 i'm looking into? because i'm pretty sure at such fast speeds, 3000ft by really quick

the equitment i'm looking into are these mini thing-a-ma-bobbers for mini planes:fpvhobby.com/96-8ghz-micro-combo-set.htmli like it because its not toooo expensive, it'll fit on a small plane, and it has 200mw (which brings me to another question: what is an estimate of how far 200mw will let me go?)

and my last question; i noticed how i'd probably have to sauter a few things if i were to get that FPV combo set, how the heck would i connect it to a small TV or laptop then???

thanks for the help!
Old 09-07-2011, 06:56 PM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Help???

I would have to say that the F86 is not going to work out as a fpv airplane. The bulk of the interior space in that plane is air ducting, not really any place to install a camera/vid transmitter. I would say you'd be better off looking at a high wing telemaster type plane. First because it will be more stable and slower, and two because you can hang the camera between the landing gear and not worry about having to belly it in.

As far as your fpv setup, you will have to solder connections between the camera and the transmitter. Also, to get signals out you would need to solder rca connectors to the receiver to plug into your monitor. Also you will have to solder a connector for the antenna. Range will depend on the location of your transmitting antenna, and what kind of receiving antenna you use. A directional antenna will extend your range quite a bit, but it's pricey and you don't have the onboard gps to send positional data back to the antenna.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:41 PM
Snowykoeld

ORIGINAL: a65l

I would have to say that the F86 is not going to work out as a fpv airplane. The bulk of the interior space in that plane is air ducting, not really any place to install a camera/vid transmitter. I would say you'd be better off looking at a high wing telemaster type plane. First because it will be more stable and slower, and two because you can hang the camera between the landing gear and not worry about having to belly it in.

As far as your fpv setup, you will have to solder connections between the camera and the transmitter. Also, to get signals out you would need to solder rca connectors to the receiver to plug into your monitor. Also you will have to solder a connector for the antenna. Range will depend on the location of your transmitting antenna, and what kind of receiving antenna you use. A directional antenna will extend your range quite a bit, but it's pricey and you don't have the onboard gps to send positional data back to the antenna.
thanks!

well, i don't have to worry about the F86 because my next plane will probably be from a RC swapnext weekfrom a local MNRC group that i found out yesterday
Old 09-09-2011, 07:35 PM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

No Nano anything. You need something that can handle the extra load (weight) of your FPV gear. Just an 300mw vTx, camera, antenna and cable will add 80g min. Thats on a plane that is only 100g ready to fly. Not good.

You should look for a plane that is at least in the 40" wing span, 3s 2200 range. That size plane can handle the extra load.

Here is a great plane for FPV. Its a Sky Surfer PnP for $79. Just need a Rx, battery and a controller.

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=506

Here is a video of the Sky Surfer with a GoPro on it flying FPV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwlJC0yaDiA
Old 09-10-2011, 06:47 AM
Snowykoeld

ORIGINAL: scooterinvegas

No Nano anything. You need something that can handle the extra load (weight) of your FPV gear. Just an 300mw vTx, camera, antenna and cable will add 80g min. Thats on a plane that is only 100g ready to fly. Not good.

You should look for a plane that is at least in the 40" wing span, 3s 2200 range. That size plane can handle the extra load.

Here is a great plane for FPV. Its a Sky Surfer PnP for $79. Just need a Rx, battery and a controller.

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=506

Here is a video of the Sky Surfer with a GoPro on it flying FPV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwlJC0yaDiA
i still got stuff from my gutted F4U so i should be good on controlls and stuff.

however, i've had several RC planes in the past and none of them really did fly, so my dad wants to seewhatever i getfly in real life first, thats why i'm going to a swap meet.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:52 AM
frothingslosh
My Feedback: (6)

I had the same problem . . . wore out a number of catalogues trying to find what I thought had the qualities to handle the gear. My final decision was a Hobbico NextStar EP, but they don't sell the EP version without the radio. So, I went with the Nitro powered version (plane only option) and converted it to electric which is very simple, as the nitro version is practically the same as the electric version (most parts are interchangeable). It has a 69" wingspan and requires a reasonably powerful motor, but it's worth the extra cost to give the space you need to install everything.

I first mounted the camera in a square hole which I cut in the windshield. the problem with this location was that the prop was always in the video. I fixed this problem by buildinga tower from 4 pieces of airfoil shaped strut material. It bolts to both sides of the fuse. stands about 8" above the top of the wing with a platform on top for mounting the camera and its pan/tilt servos. I ran the wires down one of the posts and attached it to the post with zip ties (small ones), then thru the side of the fuse. This setup looks a little wierd up close, but you never notice it when flying. Now I can pan and tilt the cam. in any direction without seeing the prop.

The NexStar is a very stable platform, easy to assemble (ARF) and the T.O. and landing characteristics are as good as you can get.

If you decide to go this way, I can provide pics. and more details on equipment installation, etc. Cell Phone: 567-224-2492

FROTHINGSLOSH