Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > FPV, UAV & Drones
Reload this Page >

GPS controlled crash device

Community
Search
Notices
FPV, UAV & Drones Discuss all aspects of First Person View (FPV), Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) and Drones in this forum

GPS controlled crash device

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 07:57 PM
enuro12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS controlled crash device

Well that was better than "SMART BOMB".

So everyone has seen the "Weather Balloon Cameras". Ascend to 30,0000 feet, then chase it down, with some luck receiving GPS coordinates of where it 'may' have landed.

I'd like to build one that comes back home! I'm thinking a Missile shaped payload. On it accent and decent it could stabilize with its fins. This would also have the benefit of better pictures.

So there is my idea. In its crude form. I'd love some input on this. Below you'll find my ideas on how to make it work.

Micro Heli Gyro & Micro Servo's to control the fins.
Extra large fins to assist in the higher altitude.
GPS for tracking
Camera for taking the pics

Part 2 of this idea would be to attach a glider with UAV enhancements to bring it home.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:07 AM
molo_30

Default RE: GPS controlled crash device

W T F?

[]
Old 11-26-2011, 02:19 PM
warbirdfanatic
My Feedback: (1)

Lol I really hope this is a joke!!!
Old 11-26-2011, 02:57 PM
enuro12

WTH?

Just the idea of not having to chase down the payload 150-200 miles is worth the thought experiment. Considering the max weight a $80 weather balloon can carry (6lb) you guys are going a bit off the deep end on the "Smart Bomb" thing...

imbosol's...
Old 12-12-2011, 05:00 PM
c130nut

I have done the balloon thing (www.tinyurl.com/otmsradio). Click on the photo albums. You do not put items on the balloon to drop without permits.... It is the law. you do that and you will have homeland security on your butt if you put a rocket or something on it. Considering these things go anywhere from 30 - 200 miles away... keep dreaming. Now you can get a permit to drop an RC plane, but you gotta jump through lots of hoops at the FAA. If you are an outdoors type person, half the fun is tryign to track them down. www.arhab.org
Bill R.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:06 PM
cutaway

A parachute AAD can easily be adapted to deploy a recovery capsule's parachute. An old mechanical FXC would be the cheapest option, newer electronic Cypres/Vigil/Astra units would be more expensive.