Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Building MQ-9 Drone

Hey y'all!

Thinking about building myself one of them MQ-9 Reaper drones. I have some parts, but need some help from you professionals out there. 

Parts:
    Frame: http://www.nitroplanes.com/projet-drone-2500mm-kit.html
    Engine: Help?
    Gas tank .etc: Help?
    AV Transmitter & Receiver: Help?
    RC Transmitter & Receiver: Help?
    RC and AV antennas: Help?

About the project:
    This drone shall be used for airsoft. To observe enemies and such. I want to control it with a laptop, hooked up with a joystick. I will connect a servo to the camera housing, so that I will be able to look around with the drone. It needs really good range, since I will probably be flying pretty far. The reason I have chosen a fuel engine instead of an electric one, is that I can fill it up, and fly. This way I don't need to charge, or keep batteries in the field. Flight time is also increased. I also need a good GPS system on it. So I can make it fly a desired pattern, and so I can set it to drive the pattern when it's not in control by me. I expect to get a pretty hefty flight time with a fuel engine(?). I will control it from the back of a car, with the antennas upon the vehicle. I've seen examples of people achieving 38 hours of flight from a 28oz (2,3 liter) fuel tank, and a 4-stroke engine.  

All help is very appreciated!

Thanks,
    DroneGuy

That is a electric only plane as it comes. It could be converted to use a very small gas engine but this would not be simple.

Range is of course limited to line of sight ( less than 2000' ).

There is no provision for a camera gimbal or pod mount but you could possibly make something up.
    There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.