Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > FPV, UAV & Drones
Reload this Page >

Longer transmition wanted

Notices
FPV, UAV & Drones Discuss all aspects of First Person View (FPV), Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) and Drones in this forum

Longer transmition wanted

Old 10-17-2008, 12:07 PM
FLYBABY6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Longer transmition wanted

I have looked all over on material conserning improving the distance of the Tx and Rx.. I'm not electronic savy, but have a general idea of how it all works, and the lower frequincies travel longer and taller antenna's are needed and etc.... But.. if one wanted to upgrade thier current Tx andRx to allow for say 5mi. worth of signal strength for Fpv flights, how in the world do I do that? If anyone knows a solution to my delema please feel free to school me. I have a Hitech optic 6. and hitech Rx.. Mabe There could be a repeater tower made? Or put a monster tower on top of my van to bounce the signal off of like a repeater? help please...
Old 04-18-2009, 01:53 AM
JMSTECH

Default RE: Longer transmition wanted

Well my buddy and myself are working on marketing this ultra long range link for FPV. Getting 20 miles maybe easy to do with this set up. It's based on 433 frequency 500mW and the RX comes with 9 channels. This unit will channel hop from 433 to 435 mhz and lock on the best channel and the sweet part is that it will not interfere with 900, 1.2 or 2.4 Ghz video gear. How this works is you either connect the TX to the trainer port or in the module pins of your radio, the plane will have the 9 channel receiver and it will have no troubles adapting to any thing you connect to it like OSD, gyros etc. Estimate price for TX and RX combo is about $340.00 and if you want an extra RX that will go for about $150.00 each.

More info here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1026959
John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59116.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	1182404   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr53976.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	1182405   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl21091.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	1182406   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz74493.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	1182407   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vg53375.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	1182408  
Old 04-23-2009, 11:08 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And how does one legally perform a 5 or 10 mile line of sight FPV flight? That fails to mention the legality of the frequency and power output used or any other bands it might interfere with aside from r/c freqs.

People wonder why the FAA is looking hard at R/C flyers and intending some serious regulations for them.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:12 PM
JMSTECH

Actually good question, and the power output and type of frequency used falls into the ISM band but "maybe" into HAM as well. It is recommended to obtain a basic HAM license prior to using this product just to be in the safe side. But our intentions here is to solve the issues where FPVers who are complaining about flying around in small circles due to limitation of their present radio gear.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:46 AM
FLYBABY6

well tired old man-I have contacted Oklahoma state rep for the FAA, and the FSDO in Oklahoma City, and have been told what to not do, where, and how high. I told him my intentions, and surprise-I am not violating any laws with what I will do. I recomend that everyone checks in whith thierlocal FSDO in their respective state, and ask for yourself. It worked for me. but thanks for the concern[>:] Now onto that gear!! sounds great! awsome people like yourselves can figure out that electronic stuff. Thx a milion. Will be hearing from me-Craig
Old 04-30-2009, 09:25 AM
JMSTECH

Thanks for looking into this Craig!!!! I like to redirect you and anyone interested to the thread where you will find all the up to date progress of Dragon Link developments and testings. You will be impressed! http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post12140380

John
Old 07-01-2009, 10:57 AM
spitfire66

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just curious how high you will plan to be flying?
Old 07-01-2009, 11:47 AM
alexedit
Banned
My Feedback: (2)

I want to do the same thing. JMSTECH, when will this be available?

also, my current POV plane is a Hangar 9 Frenzy with an OS61. I love this set up because it has a lot of lift.
I want to get a dome to put my camera in so that it is protected from the elements during flight. Any ideas?
Old 07-01-2009, 11:51 AM
alexedit
Banned
My Feedback: (2)

also, I want to buy video glasses because flying using a tv is a pain and the tv has a lot of reflections on the field. Has anyone have any experience with the MYVU SHADES 301 VIDEO GLASSES FOR IPOD IPHONE - they seem to be the least expensive, but I want to get opinions before I get them
Old 07-05-2009, 01:18 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

This is the mentality that will cause our hobby to become federally regulated.
I've got no Earthly idea what you guys are out to prove......not good enough for 3D or pylon racing I guess.
Things can and do go wrong with our toy planes, thankfully 99% of the time they ditch within the confines of the club's boundarys.
Are any of you ready to pay the consequences of having one of your planes crash into someone's home or onto a busy highway?
I seriously doubt it.
Use some common sense and fore sight.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:26 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could you give me the name of who you spoke to at Ok City FSDO? Thanks
Old 10-05-2009, 10:39 AM
rc bugman
My Feedback: (30)

Interesting thread,

In the US under current FAA UAV regulations, a certif of Authorization must be granted by FAA for flights such as the ones talked about in this thread. As a participant in the process and the holder of a number of COAs, I would be surprised if FAA would allow the proposed flights and to conduct those flights "under the radar" would open the pilot to some serious legal issues. An accident with a full scale or structure or person would bring the full force of the FAA down on the pilot and owner of the UAV.

You should think twice before conducting the flight.

Also, the primary user of the 420-440 is military radar and the ham community is a secondary user. In some parts of the country, the ham community is limited to reduced power levels to avoid interfering with the military.

Elson
Old 04-23-2010, 09:46 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (444)

I'm very interested in your long range system. How do I get 5 mile video using 2.4ghz...I have a 3w Tx, would a directional tracking antenna get me 5 miles? Other ideas welcom :-}
Old 10-06-2010, 10:21 AM
Andy867

A directional antenna would certainly help with both TX and RX but what would be required would be for the TX on the ground to have the increased power for doing LOS(line of sight) with the aircraft and being aware that as such distances it runs the problems of being interfered with by buildings, terrain, EMI, etc. You would essentially need for a setup that would place the directional antenna on a very high platform for optimal conditions and  to make sure that you have the power requirement to fly out such distances (20 miles is quite the push for signals). Other problems that you would run into is signal masking from the aircraft. UAVs that are LOS-only run into this issue a lot (Especially at further distances). I would suggest as a backup of installing something like the gyro stabilizer circuitry that has the Return to Home flight logic included.

And thats just from the technical aspect.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:42 AM
RonTins

I as well, have been looking into FPV setups for sometime, I finally purchased the Eagle Tree Systems setup. My main goal of getting the FPV system is to nail my landings. I hate coming in for an approach only to find out I'm way off the runway onto the grass. I hope our hobby will make room for these kinds of applications.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:51 AM
JMSTECH

http://exposureroom.com/members/Dani...684d6684eb572/ 15 miles... 1 watt 2.4 Ghz Lawmate video system from www.hobbywireless.com... 19dB grid antenna on the van's roof... 32" LCD tv in the mini van. RC system is Dragon Link LRS 433Mhz at 500mW attached to a JR radio. OSD is DragonOSD+ v2, plane is a 40 size glo using a Evolution I believe.
More info found here: http://www.dragonlabs.net/

John
Dragon Labs