Community
Search
Notices
Full Scale planes, cars, helis, boats Full scale relates in many ways to the r/c models we enjoy. Discuss various aspects of the larger versions of our r/c models here.

Ash Cloud - Full Scale A/C Damage

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 11:13 AM
rcjets_63
My Feedback: (4)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Ash Cloud - Full Scale A/C Damage

These pics are reported to be of an aircraft/engine that got a bit too close to the North Atlantic ash cloud from the recent volcanic eruption in Iceland. The damage is pretty extensive as you can see. It seems there was good justification to keep planes grounded.

Nick, glad this wasn't your bird even though you were stuck in Europe for days and just wanted to get home.

Regards,

Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53263.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	1440130   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55884.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	1440131   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62145.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	1440132   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh12005.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	1440133   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ju12189.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	1440134  
Old 05-22-2010, 11:39 AM
Grodus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ash Cloud - Full Scale A/C Damage

Wow Jim, Interesting. I didnt realise that ash could cause the kind that kind of destruction. I aasume the other engine suffered the same fate. Since that engine was originally designed for a cruise missle i guess it wouldnt be a good idea for a strike during a volcanic eruption.

Cody
Old 05-22-2010, 11:57 AM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

Back a few years ago a 747-400 flew through the ash cloud and lost all four engines (there was more than one instance of this). They did manage to get a couple restarted so ultimately they made it safe back on the ground. The subsequent damage to the entire jet (avionics, windshields, pressurization system, engines, wings ETC was so severe that the jet was totaled and scraped.

Volcanic ash is deadly to aircraft and should not be toyed with.

Beave

Old 05-22-2010, 12:03 PM
Todds Models

From Aviation International News:

Engine Damage Not Caused by Volcanic Ash
Dramatic photos circulating on the Internet purporting to show a Williams International FJ44-3A-24 installed on a Cessna Citation CJ2+ destroyed by exposure to volcanic ash from the recent eruption in Iceland are “complete fiction,” according to Brad Thress, Cessna vice president of product support. The incident occurred about a month before the April eruption, he said. “It’s viral,” Thress said. “We get hundreds of e-mails here…It’s interesting how things can take off on the Internet.” What caused the damage is a known issue with the engine’s diffuser, he said. Williams has already sent a letter to operators warning about the potential for the diffuser to fail. The failure mode is caused by a harmonic vibration that cracks the fuel manifold, and the engine company notified operators that signs of shifting or cracking of the diffuser include a shift in ITT, fuel odor in the cabin or difficulty removing the diffuser or start nozzle, according to Thress. Cessna is planning to release an alert service letter on this issue, and diffusers are being replaced during the next scheduled maintenance event. “It is a fleet issue,” he said, “not related to volcano activity.”

Old 05-22-2010, 12:04 PM
markus109

[link]http://www.pprune.org/biz-jets-ag-flying-ga-etc/415802-ash-cloud-damage.html[/link]
Old 05-22-2010, 12:05 PM
bluescoobydoo

i am really glad i am not paying for that repair
Old 05-22-2010, 12:09 PM
Molar mender

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to see the engine on the other side. If the ash did that to one engine, wouldn't it do the same thing to the other? Just my .02 cents.

Roy
Old 05-22-2010, 12:09 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Bar-b-que turbine disc.. my favorite!!
Old 05-22-2010, 12:20 PM
NickC5FE
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah Jim, i am glad we got stuck in Spain for 7 days too!! It (the cloud) made its way all the way to Rota, Spain where we were and it was SFC- 20,000 in that area, so we could even take off!!

Lots of Bar-b-quing and hanging out in Spain!!
Old 05-22-2010, 12:37 PM
JP-1

Received 422 Likes on 355 Posts

Yes the aircraft was a 747-400 series (G-BDXH) it was 4 months old at the time.

They had to change all four engines, the environmental control system, all the cockpit glazeings and light covers.

Did return to service though.

All four engines were replaced and many airplane systems also had to be repaired or replaced. For example, the airplane environmental control system was replaced, the fuel tanks were cleaned, and the hydraulic systems were repaired.

There should be a link with pictures here, It does not appear to work.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:59 PM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

Looks like a Jet Joe
Old 05-22-2010, 01:16 PM
GOGGLES PIZANO

LOOKS MORE LIKE BLADE FAILURE TO ME.BACK IN THE DAY WHEN ST HELENS BLEW SOME PHANTOMS FLEW AROUND THE ASH CLOUD AND GOT THE PAINT AND NEOPRENE STRIPPED OFF,THE ASH IS ABRASIVE LIKE SAND BLAST MEDIA.IF ANYTHING THE LEADING SDGES OF THE BLAES SHOULD BE WORN AND BARE METAL EXPOSED ON THE AIRFRAME.WINDSCREEN GLASS HAZED AND PITTED.THOSE TYPE OF ISSUES.NOTES FROM FORMER F4D/E,A10,T38,F16 CREW CHIEF.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:24 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I like this post from one of the pilots on the PPRuNe forum LOL.
90% chance that anything you get in a chain email is false...

"arh yes definetly Ash damage, probably caused by some sort of cannabis infusion with grey matter, best to inhale this sort of ash/debris rather than waste it on an engine."
Old 05-22-2010, 01:27 PM
bevar

JP,

I'm not talking about the BA jet, but KLM 867. Some reports say it was scrapped and other reports say it was repaired. None the less, it's bad news to fly through ash clouds.

Beave

ORIGINAL: JP-1

They had to change all four engines, the environmental control system, all the cockpit glazeings and light covers.

All four engines were replaced and many airplane systems also had to be repaired or replaced. For example, http://the airplane environmental co... were repaired.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:12 PM
rcjets_63
My Feedback: (4)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Todds Models & Marcus109,

Thanks for posting the info about these photos not being from damage caused by the ash cloud. The damage seemed a bit extreme/localized for ash to be the cause. A diffuser failure seems much more consistant with the damage. As I said in my first post, "pics are reported to be"...

Boli & JP, thanks for the info on the 747 incident. All I can say is that I'd rather not be in a 4 engine plane when none of the engines are working. Staying away from ash clouds seems like a good idea.

Nick, Spain isn't exactly the worse place in the world to be grounded, is it? I seem to recall something about Spain per diems

Tom, that's a classic.

Regards,

Jim
Old 05-22-2010, 02:17 PM
icepilot

Living relatively close to the ash cloud we experience flight cancellations and delays every week, and still
there are more than a few sceptical full size pilots and mechanics who think that the entire panic is just that -
panic. There have been a few airliners that have flown along the edge of the cloud, and 2 Finnish F-18's that
flew inside it, and although they could spot little ash particles inside the turbines, there was (OF COURSE!) no
damage like the ones in the pictures! The 747's that had the engine problems flew almost straight through
the main plume from ash volcanoes, that can not be compared to the diluted ash that we see over most of
Europe. There are already new rules coming online regarding the permit to fly. There have been ash clouds
in many places all over the world before, and there has never been a reaction like this...

Tor
Old 05-22-2010, 02:32 PM
bevar

This is what really is interesting. See who is saying what about flying through. Company owners and management personnel all say it is safe to fly through the ash clouds, but the pilots that have to fly through pretty much say it is dangerous and don't want too.

Beave

Old 05-22-2010, 03:14 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

ORIGINAL: bevar

This is what really is interesting. See who is saying what about flying through. Company owners and management personnel all say it is safe to fly through the ash clouds, but the pilots that have to fly through pretty much say it is dangerous and don't want too.

Beave

I Wouldn't want too.. lucky we dont have any Trans-atlantic flights in the King air scheduled anytime soon
Old 05-22-2010, 04:09 PM
David Gladwin

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

JP,

I'm not talking about the BA jet, but KLM 867. Some reports say it was scrapped and other reports say it was repaired. None the less, it's bad news to fly through ash clouds.

Beave

ORIGINAL: JP-1

All four engines were replaced and many airplane systems also had to be repaired or replaced. For example, http://the airplane environmental co... were repaired.

The BA jet was flying until last year (Rolls Royce power) the KLM jet, (GE power, I believe) is still flying.

Regards, DG
Old 05-22-2010, 04:34 PM
NickC5FE
My Feedback: (31)

The big thing with ash is the flameout that will most likely happen shortly there after.........This is the main reason we have a 4 engine flameout checklist in our flight manuals.....

Not only that, when ash is super heated it turns to a glassy substance whih is really bad for the turbines inside the engine..

The story i was told about the 747 that was flying around an Alaskan volcano eruption was that they inadvertantly flew into the cloud, lost all 4 engines, had to drift down and when they drifted down they were able to restart the engines. They then proceeded to climb back up to "said" flightlevel when they lost the engines again....they didnt realize what was happening and subsequently had to divert for fuel (or lack of) to final destination........$.02
Old 05-22-2010, 05:00 PM
MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: rcjets_63

These pics are reported to be of an aircraft/engine that got a bit too close to the North Atlantic ash cloud from the recent volcanic eruption in Iceland. The damage is pretty extensive as you can see. It seems there was good justification to keep planes grounded.

Nick, glad this wasn't your bird even though you were stuck in Europe for days and just wanted to get home.

Regards,

Jim
Did it land with no power?
Old 05-22-2010, 05:46 PM
skyhawknut
My Feedback: (3)

OMG![X(]

Does no-one read any other posts before posting something themselves????

This was not Ash damage - It was a known engine problem (a shifting diffuser) In fact I just read the preliminary report that the aircraft was being flown to Bremen for maintenance and the engine failed just after takeoff.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:55 PM
bevar

So...any one in the market for a slightly used MD-80 engine?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94120.jpg
Views:	1099
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	1440361   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65762.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	1440362   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lr39426.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	1440363   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx65960.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	1440364  
Old 05-22-2010, 09:30 PM
FL510
My Feedback: (8)

So...any one in the market for a slightly used MD-80 engine?
B,

That looks like a jackpot payoff!!!

I had a PT6-42 on a Kingair do a similar trick.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:50 PM
MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: skyhawknut

OMG![X(]

Does no-one read any other posts before posting something themselves????

This was not Ash damage - It was a known engine problem (a shifting diffuser) In fact I just read the preliminary report that the aircraft was being flown to Bremen for maintenance and the engine failed just after takeoff.

lol not always

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.