Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

6 volt vs 4.8 volt receiver supply

Old 01-18-2011, 05:48 PM
pangi
My Feedback: (33)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 volt vs 4.8 volt receiver supply

I have a quick question. I am building a TF AT6 Texan. One thing I am considering is the power supply for the receiver. Why or when would I use 6 volts for my FASST instead of 4.8 volts? Might seem like a silly question but no one seems to agree on an answer. This is my first big plane after a trainer and low wing. Someone recommended two 1000 mAh, 4.8 volt batteries in parallel when anotheer suggested the 6 volt option. Looking for some advice and knowledge from the pros!
Old 01-18-2011, 07:59 PM
ALWAYSPDG
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: 6 volt vs 4.8 volt receiver supply

Hey Pangi.

You will get a few different ideas from different people here. I can only tell you, the system that I would recommend for you. I would run two A123 batteries using two switches both connected to your receiver. Your servos provide more torque and faster speed when connected to a 6 volt system, rather than a 4.8 system. The A123 technology is the way to go in my opinion. I would run two batteries with two switches.

Go to http://www.hangtimes.com/a123_batter...iants_faq.html and do some reading. There is a lot of good information here. Spend some time reading this stuff. Educate yourself on what to use.

Hope this reply helps you!

Mike
Old 01-19-2011, 06:49 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A receiver can handle either. The servos are what you need to be concerned about. They are what determines your system voltage. Servos on 6.0V are a bit faster and stronger, but may not have as much service life. Some servos just can't take 6.0V at all.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:11 PM
pangi
My Feedback: (33)

What Futaba servos would you recommend for 6 volt that provide 50oz of torque?
Old 01-23-2015, 06:48 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's the web page. Just select "servos" from the top to see all the available options in servos. There are quite a few that will suit what you're asking about.