Community
Search
Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

Linkage-induced differential

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 05:06 AM
jackalope54
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Linkage-induced differential

Bax - thanks for the quick response and I follow what you said about adjusting endpoints (re: 10C vs 8FG dual rates), but as far as I can tell on my 10C the endpoints are independent of the dual rates. I set my endpoints for the maximum control surface needed at maximum dual rate then adjust dual rate for the smaller movement. It's the smaller movement where differential comes in. Does an S-Bus or synchronizer give me the flexibility to program out the low-rate differential?

Thanks for your help!
Old 06-07-2011, 05:51 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Linkage-induced differential

We're not sure what you mean when you mention that dual rates cause differential. What, exactly, is happening? A complete description would help us a lot.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:48 AM
jackalope54

Hi Bax. Setup using S3010 servos - servo arms parallel to hinge line - control rods 90 degrees to hinge line - 7/8" movement on high rates (endpoints channel one 87 in one direction and 140 in the other - channel six 140 in one direction and 91 in the other) - high rates 140% for both ailerons. Need 1/2" movement on low rates. 49% on one aileron and 48% on the other gives 1/2" movement on the up aileron but only 3/8" movement on the down aileron. Measurements are the same for both ailerons (1/2" up and 3/8" down). Is this just a case of repositioning the servo arm to something other than parallel to the hinge line (to offset the differential) or is there a way to program out the described differential with a 10C transmitter?

Thanks for your help!
Old 06-07-2011, 01:27 PM
Bax

First off, set your channels so that trim and sub-trim are at zero. Then, make sure the servo arms are exactly 90-degrees to the pushrod when the stick is centered. With proper linkage geometry, you should have equal up and down movement of the control surface. You must check this first, and correct any difficulties before you attempt to do anything in the software. This movement is your maximum amount of movement. Getting the geometry correct is of paramount importance before you do anything else.

Because the rates basically give you reduced endpoints, if you have the controls set up to move properly first, then when you use a rate to reduce the movement by 40%, it will be consistent for both directions.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:00 PM
jackalope54

Thanks Bax - I follow what you are saying. I'm using standups for the control surfaces on this plane instead of control horns. I am unable to get the clevises on the aileron hinge lines which induces linkage differential. I assume my only option (short of changing to control horns) is to offset the servo arms to get equal aileron movement - there is no way to program out the differential with the 10C - correct?
Old 06-10-2011, 06:06 AM
Bax

You can use the endpoint adjustment for basic setting, but your rates may be affected. Endpoints are described on page 39 of the instructions. Otherwise, do whatever it takes to make the mechanical setup give you equal throws....offsets, new hardware, etc.