Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Why cant I get a straight answer out of Futaba service???

My 12Z is starting to give me trouble with jitter, noise at center on the rudder stick. I called Hobbico service and ask for a rough estimate on how much it would cost to replace all four pots and re calibrate. Well the person I talked to was not sure how much it would cost. He said that the labor rate was $40 an hour with a 1/2 hour minimum. I said I'm not trying to pin you down to an exact time or amount but I would just like a ballpark figure.I offered that it could take 1 to 2 hours and he agreed that it could take that long. I said surely you people have done this before and can give me a rough estimate but he could not do that. I said ok lets move on to my next question. How much are the pots? around thirty dollars I think but don't hold me to it they may be over forty dollars per pot. I said well can you let me talk to the parts dept so I can get an exact price? No I can't let you talk to a tech he says. No I want to talk to a parts person so I can get an exact price. We don't have a parts dept. I said just last year I ordered a lcd display for my 12Z and I talked to a parts person. The guy is getting short tempered with me and says we only sell to hobby shops now we do not sell parts directly to customers. I then ask to speak to Bax he says Bax does not talk to people on the phone. I told him that every thing he has spewed out to me today has been completely useless and worthless to me and hung up the phone in complete disgust. What is going on with this company? This individuals lack of customer service training is sorely evident. How can a company that repairs these products on a daily basis not know how much it cost to do a known quantity job. If other problems are found when we inspect your radio we will advise, but to do the job that you are asking about will cost you this amount. That is what he should have said, simple don't you think? In my 30+ years of working on consumer electronics and having received this very type of question hundreds of times I can tell you this individual that I talked to did just about every thing wrong when it comes to establishing a positive servicer/customer relationship. The fact that I was not allowed to talk to Bax and was not offered to talk to any other member of management is another indication of this individuals I don't care attitude. So Here I sit, I really like my 12Z. I do have a spare so I'm not grounded but my #2 transmitter needs repair. Are there any other competent repair facility that can do this? Having spent most of my adult life doing this kind of work myself I know I could replace all 4 pots myself but I would not be able to do the calibration which is important. I find myself in a very unpleasant position, try to order pots through a hobby shop and replace myself with no calibration. Try and find a shop that can do a quality repair along with a calibration. Sell it and get another 12Z or send it into Hobbico and hope that the techs are better at their craft than the c.s.r. was that I talked to and just pay the bill. Any customer with any product likes to know what they are facing on a repair. WOW not good.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Why cant I get a straight answer out of Futaba service???

I have had serveral radios serviced by Futaba (Hobbico) I have found them to honest and very accomadating, I don't think they can give you a complete quote until
    they open up the radio.

Chris923
    Chris923
    (Capt. Cluck) Screamin' Chicken Squadron
    P-51 Mustang Brotherhood # 2
    The not so scale, almost ready to fly, soon to be scrap, Warbird Brotherhood #4
    The Flying Electrons
    Meno. Falls, Wisconsin

Futaba
    True Turn
    Kirby Custom Graphics
    Bad Brad Graphics
    Robarts,Down and Locked
    Top Flite,Ziroli,Byron
    DLE, Zenoah,OS
    Cool Power

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you take your Ford into the Ford dealership and ask how much to replace the power steering pump they would be able to tell you how much the labor is and how much the parts are. Any factory authorized repair facility for any product that I know of except Hobbico would be able to do this. If other issues are found then the customer is advised. It is actually quite simple.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yea, I undersand your analogy of the power steering pump, however, you don't know if you will need new hoses until you take it apart.

Anyway,

You can try Radio South!

Chris923

Chris923
    (Capt. Cluck) Screamin' Chicken Squadron
    P-51 Mustang Brotherhood # 2
    The not so scale, almost ready to fly, soon to be scrap, Warbird Brotherhood #4
    The Flying Electrons
    Meno. Falls, Wisconsin

Futaba
    True Turn
    Kirby Custom Graphics
    Bad Brad Graphics
    Robarts,Down and Locked
    Top Flite,Ziroli,Byron
    DLE, Zenoah,OS
    Cool Power

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: chris923

You can try Radio South!

Chris923
    They are a great bunch to deal with.

Karol
    When inverted always remember that down is up and visa versa

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You could have made things pretty simple by saying.. "when I send it in could you please contact with an estimate before you repaired it?"

You made the asumption that the pot was bad and you may be right and you may be wrong. The tech doesn't know over the phone what exactly is wrong.

I ran a service department for a number of years in another industry. There are standard rates to known problems for the most part.. but when some one says. hey. this doesn't work and how much does it cost.. that's a different question.
    BobH.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: luckyflyer

If you take your Ford into the Ford dealership and ask how much to replace the power steering pump they would be able to tell you how much the labor is and how much the parts are. Any factory authorized repair facility for any product that I know of except Hobbico would be able to do this. If other issues are found then the customer is advised. It is actually quite simple.
    I am at a stage in life where college, career, raising a family, managing finances to do all of those things, saving and planning for retirment, and all the rest of the neat stuff to get to where I can do just about whatever I want is an adventure that is now mostly behind me. During this wonderful period I had the opportunity to experience just about every type of customer service from appliances, cars, big boats, personal airplanes and the usual life stuff and never, I mean never, has there been and industry more focussed and responsive to the customer than the RC industry. I began doing business with Tower (Hobbico) since 1980 and they have been a pleasure to do business with in every transaction, and there have been many. If you are having difficulties I suggest you call again and give them an opportunity to go the extra mile. If you cannot work with them then you are bucking against my greater than 30 years of nothing but out of the ordinary great service. If you like this hobby it is in your best interest to stick with a winner when it comes to customer service. I should add that all of the really big names in the RC industry have a solid reputation. Just trying to assist you and hope you don't make a mistake that will have a negative impact on your enjoyment of our wonderful hobby.

Howard
    If you want to be politically correct, try lying.