Community
Search
Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

wrapping rx's

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 11:02 AM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wrapping rx's

Hello Bax or Krysta, I just mounted a 14 ch rx without wrapping it in foam, just sitting on a piece of foam, I then mounted a 7 ch rx (617) totally wrapped in foam. I'm reading from some articles that it's not a good idea to completely wrap 2.4 rx's in foam like we used to, has this been an issue?
Thanks for any input
Frank A Rega
Old 02-06-2012, 11:39 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: wrapping rx's

You may or may not. People just aren't protecting receivers like they used to do. That's for two reasons...1) they just aren't due to the fact that it's easier to tie it down and use less space, and, 2) Modern receivers are better at resisting vibration due to the large amount of surface-mount components. However, it's still a good idea to give your system as much protection against vibration and impact as possible.

Some early 14-channel receivers had a difficulty when they were allowed to become hot under a canopy in direct sunlight. Those receivers that were foam-wrapped would absorb and retain that heat. Eventually, they could become hot enough to quit. None of the current-production receivers have heat-related concerns, so if you want to use foam rubber to help insulate your receiver against vibration and impact, go ahead.

It should be noted that a small foam pad under a receiver with a tight strap of velcro-type tape holding it in really doesn't give much protection of any kind. When it's tightly-strapped into the model, the strap compresses the bit of foam and most of the insulation is gone.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:13 PM
airega1

Thank you very much Bax
Frank
Old 02-06-2012, 02:22 PM
airega1

Bax one more question, are you saying the heat was from an outside source like the sun, and not internal heating that caused the early issues?
Old 02-07-2012, 07:06 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It was external heating on the early receivers.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:41 PM
airega1

Thanks Bax, glad to have you around
Frank