Community
Search
Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

6EXP battery question

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 11:17 PM
LonnieMcc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6EXP battery question

I purchased a 6EXP (FM) radio two years ago. The first year I had it, it was never used, so I have only been using the radio for about a year now.

I think I am having a issue with the battery. I can put it on a overnight charge with the wall wart. When I unplug it and check, it shows 11.0 volts. By the time I get to the field and setup, which is 20 mins away, the volts show around 10.3 to 10.6. I normally fly 3-4 flights when I go out, and each flight is maybe 10-15 mins. By the time I finish with my 4th flight, the radio is already down to either 9.9 or 9.8. At this point I either pack up and go home, or I pull the batt out and put it on my field charger. When I do, I only charge it at .4 for about 20 mins. Basically just enough to get one or two more flights in.

So my question is this, is there a problem with the battery? If so, what battery can I replace it with??? I Don't want to get the same batt that is in there now thou. I would much rather have something around 1100mAh.

Thanks
Old 05-21-2012, 12:36 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: 6EXP battery question

One way to find out is to fully-charge the battery pack and then turn on the transmitter and time it to see how long it will operate before the battery alarm will sound. That's really your best guide. It should go for about 2 hours or more, usually much longer. If you don't get that, then the battery pack should be replaced.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:50 PM
LonnieMcc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Bill,

I took the battery out today and put it on my bench charger and discharged it to 9.6v. After that I charged it at a rate of .4 till it said it was fully charged. When I checked it, it only put back in 112 mAh. Then checked it on my volt meter and it showed 10.6v So from what I can tell the battery does need to be replaced.

My question is what are my choices?? I don't want to put the same "600 mAh" battery back in. I would like to have something a little bigger.

I have looked at a few sites that show Tx batt's like I want (A123's or NiMh), but not the physical size I need. I have also seen some 11.1v Lipo's that say will work in my Tx. BUT if I do go with a Lipo, will I need to make any mods to the Tx for it to work. I don't want to burn it up, I would much rather know ahead of time what I can and can't use.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:21 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As the Futaba service center, we can only state that Futaba has no recommendation for battery packs other than the stock replacement battery pack. Anything else is up to you and at your own risk.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:52 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My Fasst 2.4 system had a bad rec pac....even though you guys said it was good...it would not even hold a charge for 3 days....junk. Buy any other brand of pac is better Capt,n