Community
Search
Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

heat with a 2009 R6014FS

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 08:44 AM
cabinwacoman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heat with a 2009 R6014FS

Hello:

I am just learning my "new" 12FG. I actually purchased this off this site as the second owner. It was new in 2009 and has the FS receiver, no dots or paint or anything showing on the receiver. I have been reading about this radio/receiver and actually ran into one "unlink" during setup of my new radio. I am in north Texas and it is WAY too hot here. The model was on the ramp and Iam sure it got too hot. My question is, if Ichange to a R6014HS receiver, will thissurvive a little betterin hot climate? Iam actually adding some ram air cooling and attempting to keep ambient temps inside the modelwhile flying but that is very difficult on the ground. I do not feel comfortable with this known problem considering where Ilive.

I wrote Futaba but have not received a response yet. Iwas wondering if they have an exchange program as Iwould love to trade this one in for two HS receivers, as Iplan on a dual receiver set up.

I do realize that all electronic equipment quits operating properly at some elevatedtemp. I work on full size a/c and half the battle of the new generation a/c is cooling the avionics. BUT, Ialso realize they should be designed to handle the worst case operational condition. - Like sitting in the pitts waiting to fly. I would really hate to loose a model over this when there is an easy fix, like swapping to the 6014HS.

What do you think?
Thanks for all you guys do!

Neal
Old 07-06-2012, 07:10 AM
maxvertical

Default RE: heat with a 2009 R6014FS

Got the same issue myself, older 6014FS in a recent acquisition.. I understand newer versions have the gold dot but I've not seen one with the dot as yet. Think I will swap to the 6014HS just for peace of mind. Prev owner had no problems with the FS version but I'm new to 2.4 being one of the last to make the move, so I'm a bit more skeptical.. Be interested in what they tell you on this
Old 07-06-2012, 09:43 AM
cabinwacoman

Thanks Maxvertical!

I have not heard anything yet.  I have read a bit about this and think it is only a problem if you live where its really HOT, like where I am.  I had left the plane on the ramp while taking some pictures and I think things got a little too hot inside.  My problem is that it is a two year build on this one, with alot of $$ tied up.  If I am carefull it is unlikely that TWO receivers would quit, but its the piece of mind that I do not care for. I know I would always be worrying about it. 

If they would offer ANYTHING for these older receivers, I would be glad to pony up $$ and switch to the HS version.

Hopefully they will answere with some good news.

Neal
Old 07-09-2012, 05:01 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Heat-related difficulties only happen if the receiver exceeds 140 degrees F. That's a common maximum number for consumer electronics. If you check things out, you'll find that the battery packs and wiring are also rated to that maximum. It is an easy thing to prevent, and usually has happened only when the receiver was exposed to direct sunlight under a clear canopy with no ventilation. Cooling the receiver to the ambient air temperature relieved the difficulty.

We know of no actual failures that happened while a model was in flight. Only inoperative receivers on the ground after sitting for a while in direct sunlight.

These events only took place a few times in the Desert Southwest, and possibly a time or two in Florida. All during summer months.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:36 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

I had an event occur this weekend with a 617 receiver. Flew twice. White airplane sat in the sun for a while in 104 - 105 degree heat. Third flight, I taxied out and took off. As soon as the aircraft left the ground it went into lockout.

Fortunately it circled and went down in the cornfield. So far, all other parts have checked out o.k.. so at this time it is likely the Rx experienced a heat issue at much lower than the 140 degree temp mentioned above.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:03 AM
Bax

ORIGINAL: P-51B

I had an event occur this weekend with a 617 receiver. Flew twice. White airplane sat in the sun for a while in 104 - 105 degree heat. Third flight, I taxied out and took off. As soon as the aircraft left the ground it went into lockout.

Fortunately it circled and went down in the cornfield. So far, all other parts have checked out o.k.. so at this time it is likely the Rx experienced a heat issue at much lower than the 140 degree temp mentioned above.
Your problem would not be heat-related. The R617FS receiver has never been known to have any particular difficulties in hot environments. It was only the R6014FS receiver that had difficulties with heat in some situations. You'll have to look elsewhere to see what may have caused your system's difficulty.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:39 AM
cabinwacoman

i think i am understanding the heat issue.
  i have decided that since even futaba acknowledges the problem i am not going to use the fs eceiver. i do not feel comfortable selling it.  i think i know the answere to this as futaba has ignored my question, but is there an echange program to get these swapped out for the hs version??? anything? coupon? 
Old 07-11-2012, 12:27 PM
snir2001

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm using the 6014FS for about four years, flying jets in the desert at 44~45c with no issues.
Just keep it from direct sun light and you'r covered.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:43 AM
Bax

ORIGINAL: cabinwacoman

i think i am understanding the heat issue.
i have decided that since even futaba acknowledges the problem i am not going to use the fs eceiver. i do not feel comfortable selling it. i think i know the answere to this as futaba has ignored my question, but is there an echange program to get these swapped out for the hs version??? anything? coupon?
There never was any "program" about these receivers. Since the temperature level where failure could occur was the same as the maximum limit of the battery packs and wiring, Futaba never considered it a problem. The modeler should never let things get so hot.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:40 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Bax

Your problem would not be heat-related. The R617FS receiver has never been known to have any particular difficulties in hot environments. It was only the R6014FS receiver that had difficulties with heat in some situations. You'll have to look elsewhere to see what may have caused your system's difficulty.

Everything else has been checked out. So far it looks like an Rx issue, and based on the conditions, things seems to point to a heat issue.