Community
Search
Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

Futaba 14SG and GY520

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 01:54 PM
panioul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 14SG and GY520

I really have problem setting my new transmitter with my gy520. Can you please explain me how to set my 520 for avcs mode to a switch? I don't want to mess gyro with conditions so I want only for example to use my gyro in avcs mode when I have my A switch at up possition and in normal mode at down position. Whatever I did my 520 keeps in steady blue led condition!!!!

I also tried to assign at channel 7 switch A and plug the gain extension from the gyro at channel 7. Nothing is changing. At servo menu I can see that when I flip the switch the channel responds and goes from -83 to +83
Old 03-03-2013, 11:28 AM
panioul

Default RE: Futaba 14SG and GY520

I want to add that today I tried to replace both cables and to reset all data at the gyro but nothing seemed to change the mode. Every time is initialising and stays in normal mode. Finally I hooked up my previous gyro (Hitec) and without changing anything at the transmitter the gyro started at HH mode and changed to normal mode whenever I flipped the switched I assigned...[]
Old 03-08-2013, 12:12 PM
panioul

Any response from Futaba support?
Old 03-08-2013, 12:58 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You have to set the gyro in the Gyro section of the Model Menu. When the switch is in the AVCS position, you must set the transmitter so that the screen shows that the gyro is in AVCS mode. Move the switch to the normal position and set the gyro screen to Norm. Adjust the gain levels as needed for the performance you desire.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:50 AM
panioul

Hello Bax. I am posting my settings. Do you think everything is ok? With these settings the gyro stays in normal mode (solid blue led)

I also tried in function menu to leave it blank at channel 5 but also didn't work
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75243.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	1861227   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62620.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	1861228   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96660.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	1861229   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic83934.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	1861230   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bm75274.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	1861231  
Old 03-12-2013, 03:40 PM
d_wheel

Bax, I experienced a similar situation as panioul. It took me a while to program around the default settings and I wrote the following so I would be able to duplicate it in the future. I have added a few comments and questions for you:

Having flown helicopter since the mid 1970’s, I have formed quite a few ‘habits’ that are probably not up to date. One of these is that I prefer to have my gyros on/off (normal/avcs) controlled by the switch of my choice. That way, I can quickly switch from AVCS to NORMAL mode and back just before takeoff to center the gyro servo. This may not be absolutely necessary but, darn it, that’s the way I want it! When first setting up my 14SG I was surprised to find that the programmers chose to tie the gyros to CONDITIONS in the GYRO menu. Do, folks these days prefer to have their GYRO be in NORMAL mode and automatically go into AVCS when they switch into idle-up? I went ahead and tried this but found that it just goes against my grain, so I sat down and started trying to do it my way. Here is what I did and what I am now seeing.

I am not one to start yelling that I have found a ‘BUG’ in a new system until I am sure of what I am looking at. Just because something doesn’t work exactly like I want it to does not make it a ‘BUG’.

Disconnecting Gyro from Conditions

Go into the Model menu, page 2.
Go into the Gyro menu.
Move the cursor to ‘RUD’ and tap RTN.
Move the cursor to ‘COND’ and tap RTN.
Select SW and tap RTN.
If ‘1’ isn’t displayed after the # symbol:
Move the cursor to whatever number is displayed and tap RTN.
Select ‘1’ and tap RTN.
Move the cursor to ‘—‘ and tap RTN.
Move the cursor to the switch of your choice and tap RTN.
The cursor will be on ‘ON/OFF’, tap RTN.
Leave the top choice ‘OFF’ and the bottom choice ‘ON’.
Press HOME/EXIT 2 times.
Move the cursor to ‘1’ and tap RTN.
Change it to ‘2’ and tap RTN.
Move the cursor to ‘—‘ and tap RTN.
Move the cursor to the switch of your choice and tap RTN.
The cursor will be on ON/OFF, tap RTN.
Move the cursor to ‘OFF’ and tap RTN.
Change ‘OFF’ to ‘ON’ and tap RTN.
The bottom choice will change to ‘OFF’.
Press HOME/EXIT 3 times.
Move the cursor to which ever number is displayed after the # sign and tap RTN.
Change the number back and forth between ‘1’ and ‘2’. The mode in the line below should change back and forth between ‘NORM’ and ‘AVCS’. If they don't, move the cursor to 'NORM' or 'AVCS' in either '1' or '2' and change it to the opposite mode.
Now, move the cursor to the number before the ‘%’ sign and set it to your choice in each mode.

If you are setting up a 3 axis gyro like the CGY750, go back to the ‘*’ above and program the AIL and ELE gyros.

Now, here is what may or may not be the ‘BUG’ referred to above. Before changing the GYRO’s from ‘COND’ to ‘SW’ I could go into the ‘GYRO’ menu and simply flip the ‘Idle up’ switch to view or change the percentage in each mode. Now, when I go to the ‘GYRO’ menu, I have to move the cursor to the number after the ‘#’ sign and change it from one to two to see what the percentages are in each mode. It seems to me that I should be able to flip the switch that I chose for changing from AVCS to NORM and the GYRO menu should automatically change according the switch position.

Is this a bug? Do I need to change something else in programming? Is the way it is supposed to work? Can I leave the original programming in tact and still be able to quickly toggle between AVCS and NORMAL and then back?
-

I apologize that this is long and confusing, but it is what we have been forced to do if we want to do it our way instead of how the Futaba programmers came up with.

Later;

D.W.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:45 PM
panioul

Thank you very much d wheel!! I will try it as soon as possible and I will let you know...
Old 03-13-2013, 06:21 AM
d_wheel

ORIGINAL: panioul

Thank you very much d wheel!! I will try it as soon as possible and I will let you know...
You're welcome, but looking at your pictures it seems that we are doing it the same way. I don't understand why your programming didn't work.

Later;

D.W.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:35 AM
panioul

Probably I will try it today but also I am waiting from Bax to respond if the settings are correct.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:02 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The settings are "correct" if they give you the results you want. It looks like you have it set so that one position of the switch gives you AVCS mode and one position gives you NORM mode. That looks OK.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:04 PM
panioul

So you believe that there is a problem with my gyro? Is it possible? Is any other way to test it?
Old 04-20-2013, 11:44 AM
panioul

Hi again.I also purchased CIU-2 in order to try another way to reprogram my gyro and to make it to initialise to AVCS mode but I think that there is not much more to do. Is there any way to flash its firmware with CIU-2? It might solve the problem?