Community
Search
Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

Futaba trainer cord compatability

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 11:11 AM
dawg2067

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba trainer cord compatability

Hi Bax

I am planning to do some new pilot training. Please confirm that the following setup will work:

Trainer cord: FUTM4415
Student tx: Futaba T12FGA
Instructor tx: Futaba T18MZ

I ask only because the website is silent on use of this trainer cord with TX models higher than the 9C.

Many thanks!
Old 04-09-2014, 06:15 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The 18MZ will work well as the instructor with the student being the 12FG. That trainer cord is correct.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:33 PM
dawg2067

Hi Bax...

Another couple of questions re this topic:

1) The T18MZA (instructor) will be set up for stick mode 4. The T12SGA (student) will be stick mode 2. Will that work?

2) I will program a "trainee" model in the T18MZA suitable for the student's model. Which stick mode do I specify there, mode 2, mode 4, or it doesn't matter?

Sorry if my ignorance is showing, but I've never used a buddy box in many years of instructing.

Thanks Bax!
Old 04-24-2014, 07:04 AM
Bax

1) Both transmitters need channel mapping identical. When using the trainer system, Channel #1 of the student maps to Channel #1 of the master, Channel #2 with #2, and so forth. You cannot have channels on one input to different channels on the other.

2) The above being said, if you are using an 18MZ and a 12Z, then you just set up the transmitters so that the functions are controlling the same channels. However, the transmitters are versatile enough that on one, Channel #1 can be defined as "Elevator" and controlled by J2. On the other, channel #1 is defined as "Elevator" and is controlled by J3 (for example). That means that as student's mode is irrelevant, since the channels will be controlled by different physical controls on the transmitter, but the signals sent out will be the same functions on the same channels.

This all works because of the way you can assign any control on the transmitter to operate any function inside, and also due to the fact that any function can be set to any channel.

With the trainer system, your only limitation is that the same channels on both transmitters control the same functions, so Channel #1 on both has to be Elevator (as an example), channel #2 can be Aileron on both, and so forth. However one transmitter can control Channel #1 on one stick, and the other transmitter control Channel #1 on a different stick.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:24 PM
dawg2067

Bax

Many thanks for your time and effort on this... really appreciate the detail and clarity.

Planning to attend the IMAC Worlds in Muncie this September. You going? Would be great to meet and celebrate a Futaba win!

Cheers

Dawg
Old 07-13-2014, 06:03 AM
Bruce S

Originally Posted by Bax
1) Both transmitters need channel mapping identical. When using the trainer system, Channel #1 of the student maps to Channel #1 of the master, Channel #2 with #2, and so forth. You cannot have channels on one input to different channels on the other.

2) The above being said, if you are using an 18MZ and a 12Z, then you just set up the transmitters so that the functions are controlling the same channels. However, the transmitters are versatile enough that on one, Channel #1 can be defined as "Elevator" and controlled by J2. On the other, channel #1 is defined as "Elevator" and is controlled by J3 (for example). That means that as student's mode is irrelevant, since the channels will be controlled by different physical controls on the transmitter, but the signals sent out will be the same functions on the same channels.

This all works because of the way you can assign any control on the transmitter to operate any function inside, and also due to the fact that any function can be set to any channel.

With the trainer system, your only limitation is that the same channels on both transmitters control the same functions, so Channel #1 on both has to be Elevator (as an example), channel #2 can be Aileron on both, and so forth. However one transmitter can control Channel #1 on one stick, and the other transmitter control Channel #1 on a different stick.
Will this also apply using 18MZ as trainer and 14MZ as student ?
Old 07-14-2014, 06:47 AM
Bax

Yes, the trainer system maps channel for channel.