Community
Search
Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

redundant systems using super 8 rx.futaba

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 06:32 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default redundant systems using super 8 rx.futaba

I bought a new to accommodate my first gasser.i needed the extra channel to directly connect my sap ultra ibec .i was going with one battery.However I want to use 2 batteries life batteries.can I use a second battery? With the ibec plugged into its own port I have no ports left.the rx is the 6208 8 channel.is that crazy.any sugestion.i was going to purchase the ibec with one battery.its a 30 cc plane.but wit an extra battery I thought of buying a miracle switch using dual switches.but I believe I need a valuable port on the rx. Can u set me straight I am unsure what to do.my plane has split elevators so my ports are all filled.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:14 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You can connect a battery pack to any of the connections on the receiver. If you are using them all for servos, then use a "Y" harness to connect the power lead into the the system.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:21 PM
cloudancer03

I understand that now but am wondering if it add too much weight? The ibec with one battery using a 30cc dle weighing 10 pounds see ok.so if i use 2 batteries in my case i would use a y harness for the second battery .so does that cover me in the event say the first battery goes down the second battery will pick up and save the rx so i can get down safely?.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:32 AM
Bax

Weight is not a radio problem, and will not factor in whether a system is operating properly or not. You need to consider the weight range specified for the model by its manufacturer. If you're within their max weight recommendation, you'll be OK. Even a little over won't hurt anything. Many models fly perfectly well even when a little overweight.

When using two battery packs, you really need to make sure they are isolated from each other so that the failure of one cannot cause a problem with the second one. If you just have two packs connected to the receiver without any kind of isolation, then the failure of one pack could cause a failure of the system. In that case, just use a single bigger battery pack to have the duration you'd have with two packs. If you use a switching device that isolates the two packs, then you'll be OK.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:47 AM
cloudancer03

When you say isolate I am not sure what you mean.i do agree that the addition of a second battery will not slow the plane.i do not plane any extreme I'd as i would with my 3dh obey electrics.most of the flying is going to be precision and sport.sometimes I gas planes are generally overpowered.but what i want is a flying system that handles 80 to 90 percent of anticipated problems.i realize as a friend found out when a critical servo locks up there's little you can do.anyway tell me if this okay.....i will connect my ibec to independent port likely ch.5 and one battery to its own port.the second battery use with y harness to some used port maybe throttle .? I was thinking of a dual switch such as miracle switch.if that's good I will go ahead and get flying.i am using life batteries. Thanks for your advice.much appreciated.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:24 AM
Bax

If you feel that adding an electronic switch so that you can use two battery packs will give you the peace of mind you desire, then go for it.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:08 PM
cloudancer03

Not really biljust trying to grasp the redunancy concept in real time.if your saying what I think......then what I gather is when the system is turned on in the event the first battery goes down the second battery connected by y harness automatically kicks in.i don't need to do anything.i guess all that I need to know is what type y harness to get in terms of wire guage.heavy duty as in braided or standard wire cable.got a recommendation since it is futaba.thanks bill.dennis
Old 09-09-2014, 06:29 AM
Bax

Futaba has only one size of "Y" harness and it uses the same size wire as the servos do. If you want to use larger-gauge wire, you'll have to make one up yourself. Since the receiver can handle current spikes of up to eight Amps, you really don't need a heavier-duty connector.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:07 AM
cloudancer03

Nope.you have helped me immensely.thanks.