Community
Search
Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

18mz update getting"update not compatible with tx"

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 07:37 PM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 18mz update getting"update not compatible with tx"

downloaded 2.5, unzipped, put in update folder, started update, no bueno…...

Need some help...
Old 04-06-2015, 06:12 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You're not putting it in the correct format. You actually have to unzip the files and put them onto your desktop. Then put the files in the folder on the SD card. Too many times, just clicking on the update and seeing the files in the zip file, you aren't actually unzipping them. You need to use the "extract files to..." option to get them unzipped.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:15 AM
DrScoles

Hi Bill,

LOL, no that wasn't the problem, this isn't my first rodeo. I've had the 18MZ since it came out. I talked to support at futaba, they couldn't help. In the middle of the update, I would get the message pictured below. Then I turned the radio off, flipped the switch near the SD card and upon turning it back on, it would complete the process. I have never received this error message in the middle of an update before. It seems to have worked, its showing 2.5 on the info screen, so I'm good. I thought it was because I skipped a version, I never updated to 2.4, but that wasn't it, I found 2.4 and got the same error message.

Thanks, Mike

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-04-06 at 8.13.19 AM.png
Views:	222
Size:	311.2 KB
ID:	2086756  
Old 04-07-2015, 07:30 AM
Bax

Hmmm....interesting. It's possible that there's something going on in one of the chips that corrupts the information intermittently during the update. We'd keep an eye on it to see if you have other difficulties.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:47 AM
Bax

We've deleted several posts because this is not a discussion forum. If you believe I have given incorrect or incomplete information, please send me a PM. Per RCU rules, this forum is for people to ask for help from the Futaba support staff and to get answers from them. It is not a discussion forum, so others are not permitted to add their own advice/opinions, but others can enter a thread to ask questions for more information on the threads topic. This is a place for help, not opinions or discussions.

Again, if you think incorrect or incomplete information has been given shoot a PM with your thoughts.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:46 AM
DrScoles

Hi Bill, can you provide a clarification for me. I thought I got the update problem solved, but not sure did and I may have to send my radio in. It says software version 2.5, encoder 2.0. I believe I want to see encoder 2.2? Can you explain the difference? I could not get the xicoy telemetry sensor for my king tech turbine to register, may have been me, but I have telemetry for a few other planes using futaba, and third party sensors and they work fine.

thanks
Old 04-24-2015, 05:57 AM
Bax

The 2.2 encoder is for European transmitters so that they conform to the European regulations that don't apply in North America. We cannot comment about non-Futaba equipment, and could not say why it's not working. Did you try re-linking your receiver after installing the sensor?
Old 06-30-2015, 02:31 AM
Levels87

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Bax

I know this is not a discussion forum so I expect this post to be deleted once you have read it but I had exactly the same problem and found the fix to be very similar to the one you posted.

The fix was to manually create the "update" directory and drag and drop the files into it. If you try to drag and drop the "update" directory from your PC onto the card the files appear to be there OK but this error occurs. I have no idea why this is as the files appear to be unzipped both ways but only works if you follow the above.

Regards Jonathan.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:14 AM
Bax

The reason that happens is because when you just "drag and drop" the folder, you may not have acually unzipped the files. The Windows system can show you the files, but you actually have to unzip them.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:45 PM
Craig B.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gents,

I had exactly the same problem when I tried to update my 18mz today. The problem is caused by using a Mac to unzip the update folder as I discovered today. Two of the files within the folder get unzipped as MacBinary format and it is these files that are not compatible with the 18MZ update process.

I fixed the problem by extracting the whole update folder in one hit on my PC (did not have to extract them individually or move them manually as has been suggested above). Then copied extracted update folder onto the SD card and ran the update process and all went smoothly. Encoder version updated to 2.2 without a hitch.

Mike, extract them on a PC or via windows/ parallels on your mac if you have that and you won't have an issue. BTW, I downloaded the update from the US site.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:49 AM
Bax

That's good information. Since we don't work with a Mac, it's difficult to debug difficulties peculiar the Mac environment.