Community
Search
Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

Ailevator: aileron and elevator trims don't work

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 12:20 PM
luckymacy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ailevator: aileron and elevator trims don't work

14MZ radio. What do you have to do in order to get the trims to work in this setup? Yep, wasted time reading the manual and it was no help. Why would we have to even do anything to keep the trim tabs functional?

Last edited by luckymacy; 10-05-2015 at 12:46 AM.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:54 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Normally, when you set up a new model, the trims are also set up automatically.

In the Function section of the Linkage Menu, do you have the trims selected for the desired channels? When you look at the Aileron function, it should have J1 and T1 selected for control and trim. Check each channel there.

You can create a new model and go from there. Once you have the wing and tail types selected, the transmitter will automatically allocate the trims to the appropriate channels.

If you reset your model or create a new one, and the trims still don't work, you may have bad trim switches. You'll need to send the transmitter to the service center to get them replaced.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:53 PM
luckymacy

Originally Posted by Bax
Normally, when you set up a new model, the trims are also set up automatically.

In the Function section of the Linkage Menu, do you have the trims selected for the desired channels? When you look at the Aileron function, it should have J1 and T1 selected for control and trim. Check each channel there.

You can create a new model and go from there. Once you have the wing and tail types selected, the transmitter will automatically allocate the trims to the appropriate channels.

If you reset your model or create a new one, and the trims still don't work, you may have bad trim switches. You'll need to send the transmitter to the service center to get them replaced.
Hi. Well, normally isn't working. This was set up as a new model and there are no modes or mixes set to mess up anything. Also, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the trim tabs in all the other models I use the transmitter with perfectly so no need to get them replaced at all. Now the software that's on the futaba, that's a different story. This seems like a software bug to me unless someone can figure out what to check for next.

Here's the function screen and it shows the correct trims assigned to the correct channels. The second pic is what you get after selecting the aileron channel 4 trim T1 'button'. What's wrong with any of this or what's missing somewhere else maybe?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	futaba 14mz ailevator trim not working.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	778.8 KB
ID:	2123799   Click image for larger version

Name:	futaba 14mz ailevator trim not working 2.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	668.4 KB
ID:	2123800  
Old 10-05-2015, 06:14 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Are you trying to use one trim for two servos like Elevator and elevator 2? It looks like on your set up.
I'm not sure thats something that can be done.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:41 PM
luckymacy

This is how I gave it now. Allows the elevator trim to work right but aileron trim still does nothing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	2123846  
Old 10-06-2015, 02:09 AM
luckymacy

My configuration in the transmitter setup is two aileron wing type with ailevator tail type and that may never work even though I got the idea from a thread I can't find anymore where the person had the same issue. My F-15 doesn't use actual ailerons. The only moving surfaces are the horizontal stabs.

So what I just discovered is that if I plug the servos into ports 1 & 2 labeled elevators everything works but aileron trim. And you guessed it by now, if I plug the servos into channels 4 and 5 everything works except this time I only get aileron trim and no elevator trim.

So i need to find a way to activate both elevator and aileron trims out the same ports and figure out which two ports I should be using. Or find a totally different wing and tail set up that works for this tail group scenario.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:03 AM
Bax

What wing type do you have set up?

If you manually made the assignments, then there's your difficulty. Let the transmitter make the channel assignments, and things should arrange themselves nicely. You want a wing type of 2 aileron or 2 aileron plus some kind of flap configuration. Use the "Ailevator" tail type, and the elevators will set up correctly.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:16 AM
luckymacy

Originally Posted by Bax
What wing type do you have set up?

If you manually made the assignments, then there's your difficulty. Let the transmitter make the channel assignments, and things should arrange themselves nicely. You want a wing type of 2 aileron or 2 aileron plus some kind of flap configuration. Use the "Ailevator" tail type, and the elevators will set up correctly.
I stated pretty clearly already the answer to your question and I didn't over ride any transmitter channel assignments. I did experiment with the trim options under the function menu to trouble shoot why it doesn't work to begin with.

I got some private advise this morning to use the "Flying Wing" wing type and Normal tail. Then plug in using the defaults show on the function menu. Because I'm not using separate ailerons and elevators the options I tried to copy from another thread aren't the best way to achieve what's needed.

I'll try it tonight and report one way or the other for future reference.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:23 PM
luckymacy

Originally Posted by luckymacy
I stated pretty clearly already the answer to your question and I didn't over ride any transmitter channel assignments. I did experiment with the trim options under the function menu to trouble shoot why it doesn't work to begin with.

I got some private advise this morning to use the "Flying Wing" wing type and Normal tail. Then plug in using the defaults show on the function menu. Because I'm not using separate ailerons and elevators the options I tried to copy from another thread aren't the best way to achieve what's needed.

I'll try it tonight and report one way or the other for future reference.
Yes! The "Flying Wing" wing type and Normal tail works exactly like I'd have thought the ailevator should have worked and does everything you'd hope to be able to do. Now I just need to learn how to set up the Futaba 3 position switches to work as triple rates instead of dual rates and a wasted third position...
Old 10-12-2015, 06:43 AM
Bax

I see the problem. A "Flying wing" wing type with a "Normal" tail means that you have two control surfaces that are the main pitch and roll controls of the aircraft, regardless of where they are located. When you set this up, then the trims will work as you want them to. The "Normal" tail type means that you have a regular fin and rudder. We misunderstood because you kept mentioning that you wanted to use the "Ailevator" function.

"Ailevator" is basically a mixer that allows you to use two channels to control the elevators in a 3D-type model. You get two channels controlling the elevator sides and can also have them act in parallel with the ailerons for when you are hovering. This adds to roll control. However, the aileron trims do not carry over to the elevators. The aileron trims DO work on the ailerons. Since your model does not have ailerons, the aileron trim will not work if you use the Ailevator function.

For Triple rates, you just go into the AFR (D/R) section of the model menu, then enter the D/R section (at the bottom, left). Turn on the desired rate, select which function it controls, and then set the switch and position to turn on the rate. Do the same for the next rate. You now have three rates for that function. The full rate set by the regular AFR setting, the amount set by the first rate, and the amount set by the second rate. This gives you three rates: Regular (all other rates off), rate #1, and rate #2.