Community
Search
Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

Futaba 18mz airspeed problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 01:56 PM
jet-lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 18mz airspeed problem

Hi guys,

I have installed a CB Electronic airspeed sensor in my EDF jet but have two problems.

1. The vacuum in the fuselage creates airspeed while the aircraft is stationary. At full throttle on the ground while holding the jet it reads nearly 150 km/h
2. The radio continually says warning then the airspeed? Does anybody know if there's a way to make it just call out the airspeed?
Old 05-30-2017, 08:42 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, the problem with the airspeed reading is not from the transmitter or receiver. You have to make sure the sensor is placed such that it is not influenced by the pressure in the fuselage. In full-size aircraft, the pitot tube received ram air pressure and the static port received ambient air pressure. The difference between the two pressures is converted to an airspeed reading and the airspeed system needs to be calibrated to account for the aircraft. You will need to check with the sensor maker to see what can be done to calibrate your system.

The speech function is alerting you about the airspeed being either over the limit or under the limit. You will need to check the limits you have set in the transmitter for the high and low limits.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:08 PM
jet-lover

Hi Bill,

Thank you for the reply.

Being a full size pilot I understand how the static and pito tube concept works. The problem with the module is the static port is built into the circuit board so I do not see an easy way to run a static hose from the side of fuselage.

In regards to the airspeed being read out, is there a way to turn it on in the 18 MZ without setting limits?

I just want it to continually call out the airspeed for landing.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:07 AM
Bax

There's no way to alter the callouts in your transmitter.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:15 PM
jet-lover

Hi Bill,

Are you 100% sure about this as this is a real pain and other cheaper radios can have a continuous air speed callout.

I find it hard to believe my $3,000 windows powered radio cannot do what a 200 Dollar radio can do?

All I need is a continuous air speed call out.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:15 AM
Bax

We're sure. The voice programming was originally intended to alert you when parameters were crossed, such as too-high temperature or too-low airspeed.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:09 PM
jet-lover

Looks like I will have to sell it then and buy a
Spektrum or Jeti.

Cant believe Futaba is so far behind on telemetry.