Community
Search
Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

16SZ Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 08:52 AM
RickVB
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have another issue: I have found an issue with the import of configurations from the 14SG. I have a throttle set up for my Lancaster, where I have channel 3 set up as the Motor function, and channel 7 set up as AUX1, with both channels using J3 as input. I then have an AUX1->AUX1 mix that when active, subtracts an increasing amount from the level as the stick is moved, effectively causing the output to remain at the lowest value. This mix is activated by S7, which is also used as the motor kill switch for the motor function. Thus, S7 acts as a motor kill for both channels.

This works fine on the 14SG, but with the imported configuration on the 16SZ, channnel 7 no longer remains at the minimum throttle (85% on the channel), but begins to move at about 1/2 stick movement.

This is illustrated in the following two videos:

Can this get fixed?
Old 01-05-2018, 10:45 AM
FUTABA-RC

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm traveling today and tomorrow. Give me a little time to think on this. The conversion programs do a fairly good job, but sometime little things will be different or not transferred perfectly.

As a first thought I would try instead of using the AUX1->AUX1 mix as the motor kill I would have the AUX1 channel set up in a P.Mix with Motor as master and AUX1 as slave.

Beyond that, this is a perfect situation to use conditions in. You have one condition where the motor channel(s) are active and one where the motor channel(s) are set to zero across all movement of the throttle stick. This is how I set up all of my electrics. I use a switch to turn that condition on/off. When off it does not matter what I do with the throttle stick, the motor stays dead. Even doing this in your situation I would still do a mix from Motor->AUX1. You can then have a unique curve for the mix to fine tune and match the throttle for each motor.

This page has several good videos, one of which shows how to set up Conditions. Conditions are the true power of these radios. I have not used a dual rate in years. I make all the changes I want in a condition. So for aerobatic planes I have a snap, spin, normal conditions. Scale planes I have conditions for take off/landing where the gear works, different flap settings, etc.

https://www.futabarc.com/systems/fut...16sz/index.php
Old 01-05-2018, 12:49 PM
RickVB
My Feedback: (24)

I admit that I have never learned to use conditions - I will take a look at this tonight.

By they way, I find it hilarious that Chip needed 11 key presses to type in "NORMAL" in the video you referred to. Exactly what I was referring to with my stylus comment.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:36 PM
Harvineastbourne

Hi All. I have a Futaba T16SZ and I'm at a loss with setting up a Behotec C36 retract valve with brake. The valve operation is: retracts up / retracts down / brakes. I have the gear on the large top left switch and would like the brake on the righthand slider.

The C36 is a combined air retract / brake valve. The first position of the slide valve has the retracts up, then the next position has the retracts down and the last position applies air to the brakes.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Last edited by Harvineastbourne; 03-11-2018 at 07:34 AM.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:31 AM
geneh-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would love to buy a new 16sz but right now because of the bankruptcy of Hobbico we cannot buy anything made by Futaba and I really don't want to send money to a company going through bankruptcy. There must be another solution?
Old 03-11-2018, 07:12 AM
FUTABA-RC

Originally Posted by Harvineastbourne
Hi All. I have a Futaba T16SZ and I'm at a loss with setting up a Behotec C36 retract valve with brake. The valve operation is: retracts up / retracts down / brakes. I have the gear on the large top left switch and would like the brake on the righthand slider. Any help would be very much appreciated.
I have to apologize since I do not know anything about those retracts and how the switch works.

But if each of those functions (gear and brake) plugs into its own port/channel on the RX then all you need to do is assign that channel in the function menu to the physical control (switch, slider) that you want in the FUNCTION menu.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:17 AM
FUTABA-RC

Originally Posted by geneh-RCU
I would love to buy a new 16sz but right now because of the bankruptcy of Hobbico we cannot buy anything made by Futaba and I really don't want to send money to a company going through bankruptcy. There must be another solution?

I want to remind everyone that this is not a general discussion thread and is intended to answer specific product support questions.

Now, having said that, there is absolutely no reason you cannot order the 16SZ from Tower. Hobbico/Tower is still open for business. If the item is not n stock then you are not charged until it ships.

As far as a personal decision not to do business while they restructure that is for you to decide. But there is no other reason you cannot order anything, including Futaba products, from Hobbico right now. The idea that Hobbico is getting ready to disappear is incorrect. Hundreds of companies restructure their debt using the bankruptcy laws and continue on with business as usual.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:37 AM
rfbenn

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Harvineastbourne
Hi All. I have a Futaba T16SZ and I'm at a loss with setting up a Behotec C36 retract valve with brake. The valve operation is: retracts up / retracts down / brakes. I have the gear on the large top left switch and would like the brake on the righthand slider.

The C36 is a combined air retract / brake valve. The first position of the slide valve has the retracts up, then the next position has the retracts down and the last position applies air to the brakes.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
As Bill is not familiar with the Beotec valves I thought I would offer some help,
First thing to do is go into AFR screen for the GEAR and adjust the servo movement so that the valve moves enough to operate the gear up and down but not so far that the brake operates.
Next go into the Program mixes and enter an unused slot,then go on to page 2 change INH to ON next choose your switch in your case SF go over to the ON/OFF and press Set choose On for when the gear is down & Off when it is up this prevents the brake operating when your gear is away. Go back to screen 2 of the program mix, make your Master the right slider RS and make the Slave Gear go to page 1 and raise or lower Rate A or B to find which movement operates the brake function on the valve.
These valves don't need a lot of servo movement to operate and its easy to strip gears or burn out servos if you have too much movement , having learnt the hard way a I now disconnect the linkage to the valve until I'm happy that the movement is close and then fine tune so that there's no binding.
Hope this makes sense.
Rob
Old 03-12-2018, 02:54 AM
Harvineastbourne

Thanks Rob. I will give it a try and report back.
Regards, Harvey.

Rob. Re setting up the Behotec air valve. I confirm 100% success with your advice and thankyou very much.
Regards, Harvey.

Last edited by Harvineastbourne; 03-13-2018 at 03:23 AM. Reason: Update
Old 03-12-2018, 07:21 AM
FUTABA-RC

Thanks for the assist there.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:20 AM
geneh-RCU

Will the 16sz announce a switch function like landing gear up etc?
Old 03-20-2018, 12:59 PM
FUTABA-RC

The 16SZ does not have custom voice prompts. Only the 18MZ has that feature.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:16 AM
geneh-RCU

My new 16sz will be here tomorrow. I need 8 pwm channels and 1 sbus2 channel for throttle and turbine telemetry. Can I get this with the 7008sb receiver with only the receiver or will I have to use a hub etc?
Old 03-21-2018, 06:09 AM
FUTABA-RC

Yes the 7008 will allow that. However, the servo you want to run into the S.Bus2 port needs to be an S.Bus servo, or you need to use the decoder (SBD-1) if it is a non S.Bus servo.

And you will need to use a hub, or even a regular servo "Y" to connect both the telemetry and servo into the S.Bus2 port. What "Turbine telemetry" are you feeding into the RX??
Old 03-21-2018, 06:23 AM
geneh-RCU

It is a Swiwin turbine that will send telemetry for rpm, temp etc. I know it will work with Futaba because Swiwin posted a video of it on YouTube with a 18sz radio. No servo on sbus only turbine ECU.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:29 AM
FUTABA-RC

Good deal. Sounds like you are all set then!!
Old 03-23-2018, 06:02 PM
Dr. Bob

Regarding the R7008SB. I have channels 1 through 6 attached to servos controlling my primary flight controls. Channel 7 is not used. Channel 8 is the S.Bus port.

I would like to use the S.Bus port to control my (Smart-Fly) optical engine cut off switch and my Gyro (Powerbox 3e) gain control through an SBD-1 decoder.
The SBD-1 manual states "Do not connect any device (gyro, battery, etc.) other than servos to the servo connector of the SBD-1. There is the danger of erroneous operation or damage."
Does this mean that I would not be able to do what I want with the SBD-1? My understanding is that the output from the SBD-1 is a normal PWM output.
What would be the reason for the SBD-1 output to not work?
Thanks
Old 03-25-2018, 05:20 PM
FUTABA-RC

The SBD-1 decoder is only to use to make non-S.Bus servos compatible with S.Bus. It will not read the signal from the optical cut off or the gyro.

Why not simply use channels 7 & 8 for those functions. You can use a "Y" to connect your batteries to any port, including the S.Bus2 port on the 7008SB RX.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:05 AM
geneh-RCU

Can the 16sz be set up to call out telemetry data at a set interval time and repeat every 20 seconds etc? I know that it will give warnings but that is not what I am talking about. If so how can I set this up on a switch to turn it on?
Old 03-28-2018, 06:10 AM
RWHorton

yes
Old 03-28-2018, 01:28 PM
FUTABA-RC

Yes you can.

Go to LINKAGE-> (page 2/2) Tele Setting

Select the speech interval there.

Also, once again, this is not a general discussion forum. I need to ask people to refrain from answering questions or engaging in a discussion in this forum.. Thanks.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:53 PM
geneh-RCU

Originally Posted by FUTABA-RC
Yes you can.

Go to LINKAGE-> (page 2/2) Tele Setting

Select the speech interval there.

Also, once again, this is not a general discussion forum. I need to ask people to refrain from answering questions or engaging in a discussion in this forum.. Thanks.
This was already set to 10 seconds interval. It does not call out any telemetry info. Why
Old 03-29-2018, 02:28 PM
FUTABA-RC

I'm sorry, I thought you already had speech set up.

So, first do what I noted above.
THEN
Go to LINKAGE->Telemetry
Select the sensor (receiver)
Then tap on the larger read out on the right
You can set the alarm, type, etc. here.
You then need to enable the Speech here as well and then assign it to a switch. I use the spring loaded switch SH. That way it will read out whenever you pull the switch if the Speech interval is 0.
Or you can put it on a regular switch, set the interval to what you want and it will read out the voltage as long as you have the switch on. This way you can turn it off if you want.

I prefer simply using the spring loaded switch when I want to check on it.
Old 03-29-2018, 03:41 PM
geneh-RCU

Thanks Bill. I played around and found that I had to assign each telemetry Item to 1 switch and it will call out each as you said.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 06-08-2018, 12:53 PM
whidbey1
My Feedback: (9)

Hello
I have the 16sz and trying to program triple rates into my Outlaw delta. I selected 2 elevens and 1 rudder. When I go to dual rate there are only ailerons available no elevator. The aileron triple tree works but not the elevator. How do I get both aileron and elevator to change rates on this radio?

Bill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.