Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

18SZ wont turn on

Old 11-11-2017, 08:16 AM
Desertrat
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 18SZ wont turn on

So... My 18SZ has been working flawlessly for 2 years now. I recently updated the transmitter to version 3.1. After this update, after I leave my radio turned off for more than an hour or so, it wont turn back on unless I unplug the battery and plug it back in. After this it works fine, and will turn off and on normally if i dont leave it turned off for an extended period. Is it possible this is something I introduced with the software update and can be fixed with a re-flash or new update, or is it coincidence and I have a hardware problem that needs to be addressed?

Thanks,
Roger
Old 11-11-2017, 07:54 PM
FUTABA-RC

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

I would try reloading the update. Also, what computer did you use to do the update. Was it a Mac or Windows machine. Sometimes the Futaba updates don't play nice with updates done on a Mac. My 18MZ updated fine for a long time, then on the last update it totally bricked. I had to go back and do the update using a Windows machine. Futaba only guarantees compatibility with Windows machines.

Let me know what you find out.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:53 PM
Desertrat

Thanks Bill. I used a Mac. I'll see if I can find someone with a windows machine and try again, and see if it helps.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:12 PM
FUTABA-RC

My Mac worked great with the 14MZ. Not so with the 18MZ. The 18SZ will appear to work, but sometimes do funky things. I've asked for Mac compatible updates, but Japan thinks it's a Window World.

Not sure what Mac you have, but if it is a newer one with an intel chip you can run Windows using the built in Bootcamp software. I do that and while it is as weird as can be seeing Windows boot up on my Mac, it works very well.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:37 AM
Desertrat

I'm running the trash can pro. I've done the boot camp and parallels in the past. I abandoned it about 4 years ago when I retired... I cant remember which Mac OS update it was, but it had to delete the Windows partition... but that was Vista, it was way more convenient to leave it deleted. Just recently, I picked up some BL Heli_32 ESC's that require Windows, now this with the transmitter, I may just go that route again or pick up a cheap laptop... idk
Old 11-18-2017, 05:48 PM
Desertrat

OK, just an update, I finally got the SD card updated with Windows. So far the problem has gone. I played around with a couple of SD cards, and noted that the radio randomly rejected Mac created cards, but never rejected the Windows cards. Also, when the radio really doesn't like an SD card, it will not power up until the card is removed.

Thanks for the help Bill!
Old 11-18-2017, 11:13 PM
FUTABA-RC

Cool. I've mentioned that they really need to make it clear that the updates are best done using a Windows computer. As a die-hard Mac fan that kills me to say, but there it is. The cards are also low tech. I use a Cat 4 Sandisk 16GB SDHC card. Old and slow, like me!!