Community
Search
Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

18MZ update failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 08:55 AM
Len
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 18MZ update failure

Hi,
I have updated my 18MZ many times over the years, but the 2.7.2 update from Dec 8, 2017 fails with the error to the effect of 'not enough space in the transmitter' after the 'edit' button is pressed. Any clues?
Thanks,
Len
Old 04-25-2018, 10:10 AM
FUTABA-RC

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

What type of computer did you use to download the update? I have found that the 18MZ/18SZ/16SZ do not work well with Macs (which I own).

Secondly, are you following the directions and unzipping the downloaded file on your desktop FIRST? Or are you trying to do it directly off the SD card?

And of course make sure to have the tiny dip switch next to the SD card pushed up towards the top of the TX.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:59 AM
Len

Hi Bill,
I should explain my history and experience with this Tx. I have updated this 18MZ since it was new the first year they were brought onto the market. The update I am trying to do now is the 11th that I have done on this Tx alone, not to mention the 18MZ that I own (4 years old) in the USA, and the 18SZ I have here in Canada as well. I have done this for a few friends too. All have gone without incident until now.

The switch was flipped of course, and I did the procedure from the start twice, just to be certain. I extracted the zipped files as usual on my Windows 7 PC (the same one I have used all these years, on the USA 18MZ I use a different PC, a laptop by the way) by opening the zip file and copying the “update” folder (via drag and drop) to another folder in which the zip file was not located, again the same as I have done it 10 times before. I am at a loss to know what is happening except maybe I have too many models in the 18MZ (20 at this point) and there is no memory available. I may try exporting it all to another SD card and then see what happens. It seems a bit drastic but its all I can imagine...hence my plea to you for help...

I was actually hoping it was something silly that I was doing but just could not see it...so have you any other ideas? Also has anyone else ever had this error show up?
Thanks,
Len
Old 04-25-2018, 12:56 PM
FUTABA-RC

Sorry, no offense was meant, but I see lots of people who are not fully up to speed and without knowing you or your history I need to start at the beginning as it were.

I have not heard of this as an issue. I did the update on mine with no issues. What I have had happen in the past (with 14MZ0 was an update failure and what I did was remove the update files from the card, re-download the update files and do it again.

The 18MZ has 92MB of internal memory which should be plenty for 20 models. D card)
Old 04-25-2018, 01:43 PM
Len

Hey Bill,
No offense was taken at all, I just wanted to get passed the usual things we both go through with most users. I actually did re-download the file today after the first erroneous attempt, so I had the latest file for the second extraction and update attempt. I am at a loss too...If you’re talking to a Futaba tech please ask what generates this error, after I try it again and get the exact wording for you in a day or so, or maybe even tonight. My sense of the thing assuming the error statement was accurate for cause, was that possibly the internal processor needed more space than available, due to the memory used by the stored models, to extract its code and do its scratchpad work...it was a guess, simply based on the number of times this has worked fine and the slowly accumulating models in the 18MZ.
Thanks for your help, maybe we can get some ideas soon...
Len
Old 04-25-2018, 02:56 PM
FUTABA-RC

Well, unfortunately right now the tech staff is not in place, so I'm what you've got. That will change very soon however. I would go ahead and try taking your models off the internal memory and put them on their own card. Then clear the models off the internal memory and see what happens. Another thought is to make sure that the card you are using for updates does not have anything on it (no stored models, photos, sound, etc.).

As soon as I hear that the tech folks are in place this will be the first one I send them.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:06 PM
Len

Hi Bill,
I just finished the update successfully! It was indeed that the internal 92MB was too full. Let me take this one step at a time:
Firstly the actual error is “The available space in the transmitter is not enough.” and it appears inside the update screen as soon as the edit or any key is pressed to initiate the update.

Secondly I assumed it was a factually accurate error notice so I looked into the amount of space I was using of the 92MB. It was 74MB used in the information screen!!! Okay that seemed odd with only 21 models even though 75% are turbines. I looked at what was using the ram and it turns out I had 6 songs that I never ever play on the Tx. They accounted for 17.3 MB on my PC and likely more in the Tx due to the allocation units of Windows CE. I went into the Tx to delete the music in the player and I noted that each song was repeated 3 times in the player’s database! I can only imagine that this had something to do with my importing an F-35A model from my Hawaiian 18MZ this morning, or maybe some other weird happenstance. In any event, once the player’s database was deleted, the update went perfectly as usual...

Lastly I went into the information screen again to check the update version post updating as usual, and it was fine at version 2.7.2. However; the statistics on the memory are a bit odd too! The internal ram shows 92MB with 44MB used now with the 21 models and no music. That’s acceptable to the Tx, so its good to go. The weird thing is that the next line down shows model data counts and under Internal it reads 233 models! To make this even more weird, the SD Card column shows 17392 models and it has the same 21 models on it as are in the Tx’s internal ram! To test this I went into the model data page and deleted two models from the SD Card, and then shut off the Tx (hard method - both buttons). I rebooted a minute or so later and the Model Data count is the same for the Tx at 233 and the SD Card read 17390, the two less that I had deleted!!!

Okay I get that my original query is solved, but what gives with this data? Not an urgent question as I could care less what it says as long as it functions correctly, but curious none the less! Anyway we have the answer if anyone else gets this space error...

Thanks again,
Len
Old 04-25-2018, 03:57 PM
FUTABA-RC

I think the high model counts are available space if I recall correctly. Glad you noodled it out. Sometimes these things actually tell us the truth.

I have noticed the repeated files, etc. I go through and clean those out when I have nothing better to do.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:33 PM
Len

Originally Posted by FUTABA-RC
I think the high model counts are available space if I recall correctly. Glad you noodled it out. Sometimes these things actually tell us the truth.

I have noticed the repeated files, etc. I go through and clean those out when I have nothing better to do.

Thanks for sounding it out with me Bill !!!
Len