Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Great Planes/Futaba

R7014SB receiver

Old 12-07-2018, 08:25 AM
DH71TIGER

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default R7014SB receiver

Hi ........... I wish to confirm before buying, the 'System Selection' required on a 18MZ for the R7014SB receiver. I need 13 channels for the model. The Tx options offered are FASTest 18CH and FASTest 12CH. What do I use to obtain my required 13 channels ?

Thank you in advance

Andrew

Last edited by DH71TIGER; 12-07-2018 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:33 AM
FUTABA-RC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Use FASSTest 18. You will get 14 channels on the RX itself (hardwired ports) plus up to the full 18 your TX can do using S.Bus.
12-channel FASSTest is intended for stick banging 3D heli flying. You will not see any benefit using it on an airplane.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:37 AM
DH71TIGER

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by FUTABA-RC View Post
Use FASSTest 18. You will get 14 channels on the RX itself (hardwired ports) plus up to the full 18 your TX can do using S.Bus.
12-channel FASSTest is intended for stick banging 3D heli flying. You will not see any benefit using it on an airplane.
Thank you for your prompt answer Bill ............. looking at the pictures of the R7014SB, I only see 12 dedicated servo ports (in normal vertical position). I have downloaded and printed the manual and see the horizontal ports labelled S.Bus DG2, S.Bus 2 and DG1, I presume that 2 of these ports are used to obtain the additional PWM channels to give the 14. Which ports are used ? the manual tells me hardly anything about setting up for 14 PWM channels.

Thank you in advance

Andrew Dunan
Old 12-12-2018, 03:16 PM
jason
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was about to post a similar question so I hope you don't mind me tagging it on here Andrew.

I just need to know when used in normal mode (non SBus) how many fully proportional channels does the R7014SB have? Like Andrew I need 13 channels so my trusty 6014HS's 12 won't cut it and I can't use one of the DG channels either.

Also if 14 are available how do you make them work as like Andrew says, the manual says nothing about it.

Thanks
Jason

Last edited by jason; 12-12-2018 at 03:23 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:44 PM
FUTABA-RC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by DH71TIGER View Post
Thank you for your prompt answer Bill ............. looking at the pictures of the R7014SB, I only see 12 dedicated servo ports (in normal vertical position). I have downloaded and printed the manual and see the horizontal ports labelled S.Bus DG2, S.Bus 2 and DG1, I presume that 2 of these ports are used to obtain the additional PWM channels to give the 14. Which ports are used ? the manual tells me hardly anything about setting up for 14 PWM channels.

Thank you in advance

Andrew Dunan
Hi - you get 12 full proportional channels using the ports 1-12. DG-1 and DG-2 are digital ON/OFF channels that are great for things like smoke, ignition kill, etc. Using S.Bus you can get the additional 6 PMW channels that your radio can do.

What are you setting up and what functions are you planning on having?
Old 12-12-2018, 03:46 PM
FUTABA-RC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by jason View Post
I was about to post a similar question so I hope you don't mind me tagging it on here Andrew.

I just need to know when used in normal mode (non SBus) how many fully proportional channels does the R7014SB have? Like Andrew I need 13 channels so my trusty 6014HS's 12 won't cut it and I can't use one of the DG channels either.

Also if 14 are available how do you make them work as like Andrew says, the manual says nothing about it.

Thanks
Jason
As noted above. You get 12 proportional channels from the hard ports 1-12. You get 2 digital channels on DG-1 and DG-2. You can get s many proportional channels as your radio can do using S.Bus.
What 13 proportional controls do you need? Maybe I can make some suggestions.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:34 PM
jason
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by FUTABA-RC View Post
As noted above. You get 12 proportional channels from the hard ports 1-12. You get 2 digital channels on DG-1 and DG-2. You can get s many proportional channels as your radio can do using S.Bus.
What 13 proportional controls do you need? Maybe I can make some suggestions.

Hi Bill,

the only two proportional channels I have are a gear door and I need end points so the DG channels are no good for that, the other ones a Jetronics electronic brake valve. I realise that should work of a DG channel but I have replaced the two position lever with a press button (found it hard when I moved from JR as I used the snap roll button for brakes) to the back right of the WC transmitter and it does not seem to move the DG channel although it does move others but only half travel. I guess you can't really help with this as I've altered it from standard.

Also on a side note I must have got my terminology mixed up because when I read the following statement I assumed it meant the 7014SB has 14 proportional channels.

"Futaba R7014SB FASST/FASSTest Rx 2.4GHz Receiver P-R7014SB
The R7014SB is Futaba's flagship receiver brimming with the specifications required in high end models. With 14 PWM channels its built to meet the demands of high-end modellers"

thanks
Jason
Old Yesterday, 05:30 AM
DH71TIGER

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello Bill,

Sorry for the delay in replying to your comment, I have had internet problems for a few days, one of the joys of living in rural france !
Welcome aboard to Jason ...........
The model I am building is a quarter scale MK IX Spitfire my preferred set up is as follows ........
Aileron 1 and 2, Elevator, Rudder, Flaps 1, 2, 3, 4. Throttle, Choke, Ignition, Main Gear, Tailwheel Steering .............. I know I could combine the rudder and tailwheel steering but as the R7014SB is specced as having 14 PWM channels, that was the reason for my original question.
I use a Powerbox Sparkswitch for the ignition, I do not know if it possible to use a digital only channel for this.
I quote Jason's extract from the Futaba spec ...................

"Futaba R7014SB FASST/FASSTest Rx 2.4GHz Receiver P-R7014SB
The R7014SB is Futaba's flagship receiver brimming with the specifications required in high end models. With 14 PWM channels its built to meet the demands of high-end modellers"
Old Yesterday, 08:02 AM
modtron

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Regardless of what is advertised - this is what is shown on the paperwork that comes with each 7014SB receiver .......

modtron
Oxford UK
Old Yesterday, 10:53 AM
Silver Bullet

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bill, in message #2 of this thread, you state "12-channel FASSTest is intended for stick banging 3D heli flying. You will not see any benefit using it on an airplane." Is there any disadvantage to using this mode on an airplane?

Thanks,
Robert
Old Yesterday, 12:31 PM
FUTABA-RC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Silver Bullet View Post
Bill, in message #2 of this thread, you state "12-channel FASSTest is intended for stick banging 3D heli flying. You will not see any benefit using it on an airplane." Is there any disadvantage to using this mode on an airplane?

Thanks,
Robert
None. In fact, you will lose all telemetry aside from the RX pack voltage.
Old Yesterday, 12:35 PM
FUTABA-RC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by modtron View Post
Regardless of what is advertised - this is what is shown on the paperwork that comes with each 7014SB receiver .......

modtron
Oxford UK
Thanks for picking up my slack!. I have been busy this week and could not get to this fast enough.

Basically the information that is quoted by Jason is from the old Hobbico site, which contained misleading information regarding the channel counts. The 7014 is a 12+2 RX. Meaning 12 fully proportional channels plus 2 digital on/pff channels. Much like the 18MZ/18SZ are actually 16 proportional plus 2 digital channel transmitters. The DG1 and DG2 digital channels are great for smoke, ignition kills, lights, etc. anything you need to turn on or off and that do not require adjusting the throw on the channel.