Community
Search
Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

R6014FS with 14MZ and RCEXL kill switch

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 12:37 PM
.Rollin.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R6014FS with 14MZ and RCEXL kill switch

Hi guys, I have the above but I can't seem to get the kill switch to keep going. I have tried on multiple different channels but no go. I tried in diff Rx and the kill switch works fine so the switch is ok.

My setup is
14MZ Tx
R6014FS Rx
powerbox dual Rx switch
2x 7.4 lipo @ 2000mah

if I have the kill switch plugged in and assigned to a switch it intermittently flashes unless I move a servo. If any servo is moving the light will stay on. However, this is only if I plug a 4.8v nimh directly into one of the Rx ports. It doesn't seem to want to work at all if I am using the dual rx switch.

Has anyone had an success with the above setup, I'm of the conclusion that it may be the Rx not supplying a constant voltage to the kill switch but I'm now lost.

any help would be greatly appreciated as my only resort is to buy a new Rx but then again that might do the same thing... 😔

Cheers
Old 12-09-2018, 09:50 PM
FUTABA-RC

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

I've never used the RCEXL switch. It sounds like the switch is having an issue. You can try opening up the endpoints to see if that helps.

FWIW, I use the Tech-Aero Ultra IBEC. Never had an issue with it on my 14MZ, 18MZ, 18SZ, or 16SZ.

Let me know if the endpoints help.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:27 PM
.Rollin.

Thanks heaps for quick reply. Yes, that was one of the first things I tried, *****g out the EPA on the channel assigned. I've even tried assigning it to a stick but that didn't make a difference. As long as I am moving a servo the light on the switch will stay lit, as soon as I stop moving a servo the light will then go into intermittently on and off. It's like it can't get power unless power is being drawn from somewhere else. Does the IBEC do the same to cut the ignition?

i do have an IBEC that I could try so will give it a go tomorrow and let you know.

thanks again, appreciate the help.

Last edited by .Rollin.; 12-09-2018 at 11:37 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:57 AM
modtron

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

You may need to use a "Signal Amplifier" for your item to work with this rx.
It is known on the 6014 rx's, that the signal voltage from channel 3 onwards, drops to 2.7v.
Try it in either ch1 or 2 and see if it works ok - if so, this item will solve your problem - https://www.powerbox-systems.com/en/...amplifier.html

modtron
Oxford UK
Old 12-10-2018, 07:46 AM
FUTABA-RC

IBEC works the same. You connect it to a channel then assign a switch to that channel. Never had an issue with one, even on the 6014FS. Modtron makes a good point about the signal voltage, although I recall the lower signal voltage on 7 and above. However, unless your batteries are very weak or you have a significant load that should not be an issue for the ignition kill. But it is worth a try to see if that resolves the issue.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:44 PM
.Rollin.

Thanks heaps guys, I've managed to get it sorted using a BEC as suggested. Seems to work perfectly. I did however hear that you can get back EMF but hopefully this will be isolated by the BEC. I will try the channel one trick at some point too. Will just have to move one of my elevator servos to channel 10. Maybe I might try a flap channel further up the list as elevators are kinda important 😂 If not I'll look into the amplifier.

cheers!
Old 10-29-2021, 12:31 PM
Hurrejola6860

The only way I have managed for it to work properly, is to connect it to channel 1 on the receiver. I placed an oscilloscope in any other channel I plug the kill switch, and what happens is that the base of the pulse for some reason, stays in 1.2msec, even though the upper part moves correctly up to 2msec.
Will open the kill switch to try to find out the reason and post it
Old 10-29-2021, 03:46 PM
FUTABA-RC

Good info. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-01-2021, 10:46 AM
macmoke1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually this issue is with the receiver. The 6014 has a signal voltage of 3.5 on channels 1-6(if I remember correctly) the remaining channels hav a signal voltage of 3.3v. The RCEXL switch works on TTL logic and needs a min of 3.3volts to operate. Connecting a servo reverser/amplifier(common emitter amplifier) between the receiver and switch will fix the issue as the amplifier will return the voltage of the signal to >3.3 volts. Not sure why Futaba decided to reduce the signal voltage on the upper channels of the receiver.
You can verify this by putting the upper channels on an O-Scope and looking at the signal voltage on the white wire.

R/
Macmoke
Old 12-02-2021, 01:08 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Last edited by Zeeb; 12-02-2021 at 01:13 AM.