Community
Search
Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

14MZ "Elevon" mix for jets

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 06:34 PM
Nick Yuhasz
My Feedback: (11)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 14MZ "Elevon" mix for jets

I’m moving all my aircraft from my 9C to my 14MZ and have run into a problem.

I have two “tailess” jets (Kangaroo and Eurofighter) which were set up as Elevon mixing in the 9C (one servo for each elevon). Within the 9C when you activated the Elevon mixing you got a screen that has 6 rate adjustments. They were: AIL1 (right and left rate), AIL2 (right and left rate), ELE1, and ELE2. These rate adjustments allowed you to control the throw of each surface in every direction.

I have set these jets up in the 14MZ as “Flying Wing 2 Aileron”. AILERON is set to Channel 1 (Control J1) and AILERON2 is set to Channel 2 (Control NULL). The default, by the 14MZ, sets the ELEVATOR to the “virtual” channel (Control J2). At this point all is well. The control surfaces move correctly.

My question is how do you adjust the 6 “rates” equivalent to what we had in the 9C?

Thanks in advance.

Nick

Old 04-01-2005, 06:26 PM
Nick Yuhasz

Default RE: 14MZ "Elevon" mix for jets

Well, I just got back from the Toledo show and talked to "Team Futaba" on the "Elevon" question (see above). While they are great guys to talk to, none of them had a good solution to my delimma. I'm just going to try "experimenting" with the menu or manually mix the elevons in the radio for my jets. It was so simple to set these jets up in the 9C.

You always see many, knowledgable JR Reps at the jet rallies and I guess that is why most jet pilots fly JR (except me). You never see "Team Futaba" at any of the jet rallies (I don't think they have any sponsored jet pilots).

Nick

Old 04-04-2005, 09:13 PM
Jetkopter
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nick, I have my hotspot and rookie set up on the 14 mz, adjust the the AFR of each surface to get the throws you want. You may have to add positve AFR.It took me a while to figure it out too.Use the limit function in the Atv screen first so you dont over drive any of the servos

Don
Old 04-08-2005, 04:30 PM
Nick Yuhasz

Don:

Thanks for your input. I'll give it a try this weekend on my "test bed" jet; the venerable Kangaroo.

It just seems to me that if something worked well on a previous radio version (ie. 9C Elevon function setup), you wouldn't make it more difficult to discover how to program it in the new version. I thought that was the whole idea of the multitude of "Wing Types" in the 14MZ!

Thanks

Nick
Old 04-15-2005, 09:35 AM
d_wheel

Nick,

Did you ever figure out how this is done? I am having the same problem and it is VERY frustrating. The 9C and 9Z radios were very easy to set up for this function. I have been very disappointed with my 14MZ so far!

Later;

D.W.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:01 PM
Nick Yuhasz

D.W.

Yes, I got it to work using the method posted earlier by Don (JetKopter). I flew my Kangaroo without incident last weekend on the new 14MZ (after a range test).

Don's method works except (as far as I can tell), you can't adjust the elevator throw for each elevon individually as you could with the 9C. Since the transmitter gives you two Ailerons (Aileron1 and Aileron2) by default when you pick Wing Type = "Tailless", you can set up each elevon to have different aileron throws in the AFR screens. You can adjust both elevon elevator throws simultaneously (and only the same amount) in the AFR screen. The Elevator is a "virtual" channel in "tailless wing mode."

Once again, with all those "Wing Types" you would think Elevon setup would be a breeze!

Nick

Old 04-15-2005, 11:05 PM
d_wheel

What I did on my Zagi was to set the ATV's as high as they will go for aileron1 and aileron2. (This was done because when the ailerons were set for proper deflection, the elevator would barely move at all). I then used dual rates to get the throws I wanted. Kind of a pain, but I was going to use dual rates anyway so no big deal, except for the fact that it SHOULD work correctly when you pay as much as we have for these radios. Futaba needs to come up with a fix!!!!

Oh yes, I had to reverse aileron1 and aileron2. With them connected as shown on the setup screen, I could either get correct aileron movement, or correct elevator movement, but never both at the same time...

Later;

D.W.