Community
Search
Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

Plastic gear vs Metal gear servo for 3D

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2002, 04:30 AM
RCP57
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plastic gear vs Metal gear servo for 3D

Without beating around the bush I would like to know if plastic or metal gear servos are the most popular for aerobatic flying. Give me your opinion of both sides of the coin please. I have to purchase 9 servos for my 35% Carden Edge this week and I very frustrated with my lack of a decision.

I already know you not thrilled with digital servos for aerobatic flying and prefer analog. I completely disagree with you in area. I feel that the precision offered by a digital servo is beneficial for all types of flying, not to mention the centering and holding capabilities. I’m considering the S9151 and S5050 servos, both running on a 6 volt system. My concern is with the plastic gears in the S9151. I had two Futaba servos with plastic gears in my ailerons explode on my DP330L at the same time. The gears shattered into a billion tiny pieces. I managed to land it unshaved with only the rudder and elevator. That experience has left me shaking in my pants when it comes to plastic gear servos. Plus my wife of 26 years was not too happy with the condition of my pants when I returned home that day.
Old 10-15-2002, 10:58 AM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Mike,
First, I'm not sure you understood my comments on digitals for 3D. It isn't about 3D NOT needing the precision. It is about the excessive load on the digital servos if a 3D setup aircraft is not setup PERFECTLY so that the linkages are exact and precise. That precision the digitals give you will cause them to destroy themselves, and each other, rapidly by fighting each other in a less than absolutely 100% perfect installation.

As far as gear sets, I've never seen nor heard of plastic gears "exploding" inside a servo case except in a case where the model suffered severe and violent flutter. In that case metal gears wouldve done no more to save the model, even if they hadn't been shrapnel inside the case. Remember, also, that metal geared servos are NOT 100% metal....

I recommend nylon, esp for hard core 3Ders. Metal gears wear more quickly and open you to flutter if they are not properly maintained on a very regular basis.
Old 10-17-2002, 03:29 AM
RCP57
My Feedback: (25)

Default Please Elaborate Further

Originally posted by amcross
Mike,
It is about the excessive load on the digital servos if a 3D setup aircraft is not setup PERFECTLY so that the linkages are exact and precise. That precision the digitals give you will cause them to destroy themselves, and each other, rapidly by fighting each other in a less than absolutely 100% perfect installation.
That statement obviously applies to multiple servo control surfaces, but would this not apply to any servo? Please elaborate on this statement. I don't know about most users, but I measure my control linkages with a digital caliper down to the last 0.001"

Apparently the people of the dark side don’t feel that this is a problem. Most of them are using the DS8411 which is both digital and have metal gears. What is so different about Futaba that makes it so critical?

I’ve made up my mind that Futaba servos are going into the airplane, I just have not decided if it is going to be all S9151 & S5050 for the rudder, or all S9206 & S5301 for the rudder. Both will be run on 6 volts.
Old 10-17-2002, 08:04 AM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Mike G,
No, I'm not talking just about multiple servo installations. This is more true for digitals in ANY installation, because of the incredible precision of the servos, they are also trying to be perfectly precise in a less than perfect installation, they are going to eat themselves for dinner trying to do the exact job they were asked to do.

You might want to do some research on "the dark side" servo you mention, as it has had some severe problems.

It is not something which is more critical of Futaba; it is simply something that we, as the US importer, are trying to make consumers more aware of. We're certainly not saying don't use digitals for 3D; we're simply saying that you have to be more aware with the digitals BECAUSE of the very precision and capability they have.

It's like talking about a 3D aerobatic plane, and having to tell someone coming from sport planes that flying around on a high pitch prop at 100+ mph is not an option with a 3D airplane. does it mean 3D airplanes are bad? I sure hope not! It just means that to get the added benefit of the 3D capabilites you have to be more aware of flutter, of overall airspeeds, etc.