Community
Search
Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

5014dps 14mz lockout problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 11:34 PM
dragoonpvw
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5014dps 14mz lockout problems

I am in the process of preparing my 112 inch 3w Mustang for flight. Before I go ahead I would like to hear a little more about the lock outs experienced with the G3 receiver. I would expect that the planes in the Tucson shootout would have dual receiver set ups, did the lock outs happen in both receivers at the same time? What type of setups did the pilots who experienced the problem have in their planes? How did they determine a lockout if they did not crash? the split plane method of installing twin receivers is common so if the pilots just lost one half and had control response reduced seems likely but I am grabbing at straws here. I need more information to work on a solution.

I am planning on two G3 receivers with an emcotec DPSI twin, I will of course go through the plane as well as is possible to reduce unwanted rf interference but if the receivers were locking out simultaneously then that would seem to be a problem that dual receivers would not help.

Secondly you recommend reducing the length of the antenna and range checking, if the range is not reduced then the situation will be helped. If the range is reduced though will Futaba repair/replace the antenna for free? that would only seem fair. If that is the case and your answers here lead me to take the step towards changing receiver length then I am thinking about leaving my primary receiver at the full length and reducing the length of the secondary receiver as a safeguard.

Whether both receivers locked out in a plane at one time is an important question and should be answered asp, if that is the case then the problem is sensed throughout the aircraft, if it is not the case then it is localised and obviously due to an idiosyncracy of the position of the reciever.

This aircraft like many that will be using your top of the line equipment will be into the tens of thousands price range when complete, even more important is the safety aspect, it will be big, heavy, powerful and potentially dangerous. Flight testing should be in two weeks, I would hope to have an answer to guide me in my installation on this plane, at the moment I could probably drop down to two 9 channel receivers but that is not something I am planning on at this time.

I have had no problems as far as I can tell so far with the g3 and have been flying it hard on a 31% edge, I did however have a glitch (wing dip) on approach last landing and scraped a prop, the plane did not go into failsafe though and an aileron servo was missing a few teeth in the center, the obvious culprit. Did all the problems exhibit going into failsafe or were there examples of glitches with planes not programmed with FS and how bad were the glitches?

I know that this seems like airing your dirty laundry but as you have acknowleged a problem, surely you must see the necessity of giving us as much information as possible.

Thanks for your time

Paul

(edited the spacing so we could read it. did not change content..)
Old 11-25-2005, 05:19 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: 5014dps 14mz lockout problems

All known difficulties caused the airborne system to go into lockout (or failsafe). The difficulty you mention sounds completely unrelated.

Trim the receiver antenna per the note. This is direct from the factory in Japan.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:20 AM
dragoonpvw

The difficulty I mentioned was most likely unrelated as I said in the post. The questions I was looking for answers were written before mention of the wing dip. I will copy and paste them and hopefully you will answer them one by one.

1 I would expect that the planes in the Tucson shootout would have dual receiver set ups, did the lock outs happen in both receivers at the same time?

2 What type of setups did the pilots who experienced the problem have in their planes?

3 How did they determine a lockout if they did not crash? the split plane method of installing twin receivers is common so if the pilots just lost one half and had control response reduced seems likely but I am grabbing at straws here.

4 you recommend reducing the length of the antenna and range checking, if the range is not reduced then the situation will be helped. If the range is reduced though will Futaba repair/replace the antenna for free?

Whether both receivers locked out in a plane at one time is an important question and should be answered asp, if that is the case then the problem is sensed throughout the aircraft, if it is not the case then it is localised and obviously due to an idiosyncracy of the position of the reciever.

I hope I have made my questions a little clearer.
thank you
Paul V Wilson

Old 12-06-2005, 09:12 AM
dragoonpvw

bump
do you have an answer.
thanks
Paul
Old 01-28-2006, 06:13 AM
vintageflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Its been seven weeks. No reply??
Old 01-28-2006, 11:50 AM
dragoonpvw

I dont expect one now, after all these years with good communication, at last just to be ignored. From what I can surmise, the reason for many of us to use PCM, that is to filter out unwanted interference, it seems that the 5014dps is no better, but could be worseworse than a standard fm reciever. The answer from Futaba "but at least it has more programming."
good luck
Paul
Old 01-30-2006, 03:15 PM
Bax

Please be aware that we look for questions with ZERO REPLIES. If they get more than 1 or 2 replies, we usually don't look at them. We are not able to read all posts on all the forums.

We don't have those answers for you. Lockout was determined by the pilot's interpretation of how the model flew. Some planes had two receivers, some did not. We don't know which ones were which.

Trimming the receiver antenna is from Futaba, Japan. We passed on the note. If the receiver has problems, we'll be glad to look at it.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:28 AM
darkvader

Hi
I've an Futaba 14MZ G3 receiver 35Mhz Band.
How much should I cut the receiver's antenna?
Old 01-31-2006, 10:36 AM
Bax

The direction from Futaba about trimming R/C receiver antennas applies ONLY to systems on 72 MHz used in the Western Hemisphere.