Community
Search
Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

Futaba 9CA

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2002, 12:44 PM
Ross Kean

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 9CA

After MUCH deliberation and indecision, I finally ordered the 9CA instead of the Hitec Eclipse. Why? Because it seemed to be a much more "complete" radio with all of the features I need for now as well as into the forseeable future. Quality, by everything I have read, is top-notch.

Although price is ALWAYS an issue, it did not figure into the equation to a large extent. The sticking point was the Spectra module and shift selectability. I really wanted this feature and came very close to getting the Eclipse for this reason alone.

I have to wonder how many 9CA's haven't been sold because of the lack of an equivalent capability? (I can think of a few from my club alone!)

I know that this is a product "for future consideration" but Futaba should do themselves a BIG favor and build a frequency-selectable (and shift-selectable) module that is compatable with the 9CA. I guarantee that the development and production costs would quickly be recovered by sales of the unit to current owners as well as by the number of new 9CA systems that would be purchased in favor of the Eclipse. It can't be too complicated, especially if you are going to set it up with mechanical switches instead of programming selection. + and - shift selection switch would be a major bonus too!

A frequency-selectable Rx would be nice too, but not nearly as compelling as the Tx module!

The Futaba 9CA is not a beginners radio and many of the users are RC'ers who have been in the hobby for a few years. If the average user is like me, they probably have a mix of "stuff" that has been gathered from all over along with several radios and receivers. I, for one, would happily discard all of my old Tx's if I could use the new 9CA for everything.

Can't wait to get the radio!

Ross
Old 11-12-2002, 01:01 PM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Default Futaba 9CA

Ross,
Congrats on a great choice! Yes, as discussed previously, this is a possible future product that has been recommended and we have passed the recommendation on to Futaba Japan.

Enjoy your new radio!
Old 11-17-2002, 10:21 AM
ryanvu
My Feedback: (3)

Default 9CAP

I've just got mine 3 days ago - setting it up right now for my plane...WOW, don't know how I ever live without computer radio...
Old 11-17-2002, 09:48 PM
WreckRman2
Banned
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Futaba 9CA

With computer radios having the ability to store several different models the need for multi radios on multi channels is becoming a thing of the past. For me I use one radio, 9C, and the same channel for all my planes. I think using multi channels would only confuse me and create more problems.

I think the only benefit for having a selectable freq would be at events or flying fields where the number of fliers are so large that you could easily change to a freq not being used instead of having to wait your turn to fly. If this is your case I have a couple buddies that carry an extra module or two with them so that they can easily change it, changing the freq.

I think it's a great feature but I don't think the need for it exists in large numbers right now. I also think you made the better choice in getting the 9C.
Old 11-19-2002, 02:33 AM
Ross Kean

Default Futaba 9CA

From a technical and quality perspective, I really think I made the right choice with the 9C, although I am sure there are Hitec owners that would disagree. My point on the frequency and shift selectability is more related to the variety of receivers and channels that I currently own (purchased (used) from various sources). I would like to be able to consider the purchase of any used plane (with gear) at a swap shop without worrying about buying a new Rx (or at least a crystal). If I had unlimited resources, I would buy all Futaba flight packs to replace what I have and trash the Airtronics gear. Would probably have a couple of different Tx modules to cover a couple of Rx frequencies. As it is, I will probably try get another couple of years out of the 6CH Airtronics - at least until the Tx battery needs replacing.

I'm still fairly new to the hobby (2.5 years) and I'm sure I will eventually standardize on certain types of equipment. Not there yet! Still waiting for the radio to come in - had to order my choice of frequency to match at least one of the flight packs I'm currently using. Can't wait!!

Thanks to AMC for her support and information. Futaba's presence on this and other forums/BBS's etc had quite a bit to do with the eventual choice of the 9CA

Ross
Old 10-11-2014, 03:09 PM
erifdog51

When setting up the Futaba 9CAP system in a Piper Tri-Pacer with flaps, the flaps acted like ailerons when activated. I tested several different brand servos with the same results. Tried using two Futaba servos and the flaps worked perfectly. Any thoughts on why this is so? Thanks.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:27 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Please check which channel(s) the flaps are connected to. If you're using two channels and a mixer, check the direction of the mixer. Check the servos. Usually, flap servos have the pushrods coming off the same side, so you'd have the pushrod taken off the left-hand side of both servos or off the right-hand side. If you're mixing brands of servos, they may be set to move in opposite directions as their "normal" direction setting.

Just a few things to check.