Community
Search
Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

Matching slider to servo travel

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 11:34 AM
TopShelf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Matching slider to servo travel

I have a 9C and am using it to contral a GP Lancair ARF. I have dual flap servos using chanel 5 slaved to chanel 6. I moved the "flap trim" from VR(A) to VR(D) as it is easier to reach while flying. The movement of the flaps works fine.

My issue is that I get full flap deployment when the VR(D) is half way through it's travel. I would like to get full flap movement when the slider is all the way back and 50% when the slider is half way through it's travel. Basically the position of the slider would mirror the position of the flaps.

Is there any way to accomplish this? I attempted to set up a curve mix but didn't seem to get the results I needed, or I did it wrong.

Thanks,

Kent
Old 06-29-2007, 09:14 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Matching slider to servo travel

Move the slider to one end. The servo will then move to one end of its travel. Set up the flaps for the fully-retracted position. Move the slider to the other end. The servo will move to the other end of its travel. Set up the flaps so that they are fully-deployed. Now one end of the slider's movement will have the flaps at the full "up" position, and the other end of the slider's movement will have the flaps at the full "down" position.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:31 AM
TopShelf

This is exactly what I thought I did when I originally installed the servos. I'll double check my installation.

Now that I think about it, the neutral position of the servo should be the center position of the slider, right? I think thats what I may have done incorrectly is set the neutral servo position to be fully retracted flaps via the servo arm position.

Thank you for your assistance.

Kent
Old 06-29-2007, 01:23 PM
Bax

When you say "neutral" position of the servo, you mean 1/2-way from one extreme to the other? If so, then the center of servo travel should coincide with the center of the slider's travel.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:26 PM
TopShelf

Thanks, yes, I guess Center is a better description than neutral.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:10 AM
TopShelf

Bax,

I double checked my linkage, and I have it set up exactly as you described. I guess my real problem is that I have too much mechanical travel and I can't see a way to shorten the servo arm enough to solve the problem.

So, from a programming standpoint, I need to make 1 click of the slider move the servo some lesser precentage of travel (roughly 50%). Anyway to do that on the 9C?

Kent
Old 07-02-2007, 01:39 PM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I would have though 50% ATV on the channel will do the trick...
Old 07-02-2007, 03:00 PM
TopShelf

Edgar,

Yea me too but I seem to get odd results (flaps moving at different rates) when I do that. I headed out to the field tonight after work so I'll tinker with it some more.

BTW, it's called End Point now.

Also BTW, I don't think anyone but Futaba support is supposed to post here. I appreciate your help but you might get poked by the moderator.

Kent
Old 07-02-2007, 03:54 PM
Bax

If you have too much mechanical travel, you'll have to either drill new holes in the servo arm closer to the center, use a longer control horn at the flap, or work with the electronics. If you lower the ATV on the main flap channel, and then reset the linkages, you'll get that surface operating properly. Then you adjust the percentage of mix for the second channel while working with the linkages. It would likely be best if you use p-mix #6 or #7 because they have the 5-point mixes, which will give you better control over the slave channel's operation.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:04 PM
TopShelf

Bax,

Thanks, you have confirmed I'm on the right track I just need to keep working on the linkage and end point. Good advice on using the primary flap channel as the base line. I was messing with the slaved channel (just because of the way the plan happened to be pointing on the bench) and I was just frustrating myself.

Kent