Community
Search
Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

Short antenna for 14MZ

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 03:06 PM
Carsten Groen

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Short antenna for 14MZ

For some transmitters, it is possible to get a short "rubber" antenna, do any of you know if there is such a thing for the 14MZ ?
The telescope antenna that comes with the radio is sometimes a "problem" when we fly indoors, easy to get tangled with the other folks there

Regards,
Carsten
Old 11-08-2007, 04:08 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Short antenna for 14MZ

The short "rubber duck" type of antennas you see being used are really not legal to use on R/C transmitters. The transmitter has not been certified with that particular type of antenna. A short antenna, such as those, will also affect the out put circuitry and the transmission pattern.

We cannot recommend their use, because we do not know the effect such an antenna would have on the transmitter's circuitry, as well as the fact that they are not legal modifications.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:23 PM
Carsten Groen

Hi Bax,

I understand, but it would be a "piece of cake" for Futaba (or someone else) to make an antenna that would "act" as the delivered antenna (at whatever impedance that one is), although with a reduced radiation efficiency.
When you say "legal", what are you referring to then ?

Regards,
Carsten
Old 11-08-2007, 05:39 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

U.S. FCC regulations. Please be aware that we are the Service and Support Center for Futaba in North America. We can only speak for systems here. You would have to check with your country's ministry for communications to see what changes would be allowed. It may be perfectly legal in your country to change the antenna.

In the U.S., changing the antenna in this case is considered a modification of the transmitter because the transmitter doesn't use a standardized connector for an antenna connection. Communications transmitters use standardized antenna output connections, so you can attach almost any kind of antenna that meets the standard. R/C transmitters do not use a standardized connector, but have the antenna part of the tuned circuitry of the transmitter's output section. Any change from a stock antenna changes the tuning, and thus is an alteration. The transmitters are certified with the metal whip antenna they come with. To use anything other than a stock replacement, the transmitter would have to be re-certified with the new type. Only the manufacturer can submit a unit for certification testing, because it's the entire transmitter/antenna combination that receives certification.

Other countries have different regulations. Please check with your countries authorities to determine what may be done in this case.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:46 PM
Carsten Groen

OK, I understand...
it's a shame though, those long antennas are not practical when flying indoors, gets often in the way.
I know, I could buy some 2.4 GHz stuff....but have too many 35 MHz RX around in my models []

Thanks,
Carsten