Community
Search
Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

R6014FS and hitec servos. Does it work?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 07:18 PM
skorp_jon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R6014FS and hitec servos. Does it work?

I have read in robbe document, that R6014FS has 2.7V on servo signal.
But hitec requires 3-5V on their servos.

All Hitec servos require 3-5V peak to peak square wave pulse. Pulse duration is from
0.9mS to 2.1mS with 1.5mS as center. The pulse refreshes at 50Hz (20mS).

Will hitec servo's work with this receiver? It is strange because 7channel 2.4 FASST has 3.4V on servo signal. I don't know why don't all receivers have the same specifications.

------

I didn't test that, because i don't have mine R6014FS yet. It should be here next week.

But i just want to be save, because i have a lot of hitec servos.

I have attached original text from Robbe.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42355.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	878706  
Old 02-15-2008, 12:44 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: R6014FS and hitec servos. Does it work?

If the servos need a higher signal voltage than the receiver puts out, then we'd say that they'd not work. Futaba cannot ensure that non-Futaba equipment will be compatible with their equipment. It is up to the third-party makers to make their equipment compatible with Futaba's equpment if then intend their items to be used with Futaba equipment.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:54 AM
Ruff

I flew HS6965's with the R6014FS last week and it worked fine.....

Ruff
Old 02-16-2008, 07:04 PM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: Bax

If the servos need a higher signal voltage than the receiver puts out, then we'd say that they'd not work. Futaba cannot ensure that non-Futaba equipment will be compatible with their equipment. It is up to the third-party makers to make their equipment compatible with Futaba's equpment if then intend their items to be used with Futaba equipment.
What is the receiver output voltage on the R6014FS????????? maybe that will answer a lot of questions. I cannot find anything in the documentation I got with my system that gives that info. Can you contact somone at the factory that knows and let all of use know?.Please!!
Old 02-16-2008, 08:19 PM
woodie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the receiver output voltage on the R6014FS????????? maybe that will answer a lot of questions. I cannot find anything in the documentation I got with my system that gives that info. Can you contact somone at the factory that knows and let all of use know?.Please!!
[/quote]

Wouldn't the output voltage be the voltage supplied from the battery via the switch (or regulator)? The receiver has a voltage regulator or it's own but I believe it just passes the battery/regulator voltage to the servos.

Woodie
Old 02-16-2008, 08:38 PM
SoCalSal

ORIGINAL: woodie

Wouldn't the output voltage be the voltage supplied from the battery via the switch (or regulator)? The receiver has a voltage regulator or it's own but I believe it just passes the battery/regulator voltage to the servos.

Woodie

[/quote]
Woodie.I really don't know the answer. All Iwant to know is will my HS5955TG's work with the Futuba receiver. Someone else brought up this issue. And being I just spent $1200 for this radio I really don't want to have to spend hundreds more for new servos. would rather just send the Futuba back and get something else ( JR Airtronics etc) that will work with HiTec servos. I run a PowerBox system on all my 30% and larger scale models...never never had any problems with it and sure don't want to start now.

I hope someone else has experiance running HiTecs with this new receiver from Futuba and can let me know. I do like the Radio but if it is designed to run with just Futuba servos then will go to another brand in a heartbeat.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:41 PM
SoCalSal

ORIGINAL: skorp_jon

I have read in robbe document, that R6014FS has 2.7V on servo signal.
But hitec requires 3-5V on their servos.

All Hitec servos require 3-5V peak to peak square wave pulse. Pulse duration is from
0.9mS to 2.1mS with 1.5mS as center. The pulse refreshes at 50Hz (20mS).

Will hitec servo's work with this receiver? It is strange because 7channel 2.4 FASST has 3.4V on servo signal. I don't know why don't all receivers have the same specifications.

------

I didn't test that, because i don't have mine R6014FS yet. It should be here next week.

But i just want to be save, because i have a lot of hitec servos.

I have attached original text from Robbe.
Can you translate the document from German to English for us?
Old 02-17-2008, 03:55 AM
jstremmler

Futaba has created this problem and thererfore Futaba should solve it!

Bax, your answer is typical for problem creating modell-companies sucking the money out of their customers!

Or shall we buy all new servos for our existing models?

E.g. digital HITEC Servos which don't work with the R6014 receiver are : HS5245, HS5125 and HS5645.

Maybe we wait to buy R6014 receivers until Futaba's "R61114" 2.4 GHZ receiver is on the market which solves this problem of incompatability

regards

Jürgen
Old 02-17-2008, 04:31 AM
larshkj

ORIGINAL: Bax

That answer really isn't good enough Bax!! I would say it's Futabas responsibility to make their new equipment work with todays most popular servos. Including Hitec and JR!
Futaba owe this to their loyal customers all over the world. First we have waited almost a year for this stuff to hit the marked, and now you don't know if it will work with our servos... MAN!

Futaba will surely loose a lot of customers if they continue having this attitude!

Lars
Old 02-17-2008, 07:01 PM
TheSteve

This isn't the only receiver Futaba has made that has a very low voltage servo drive output. The original R113IP 3 channel PCM ground based receiver also has a very low output on its servo drive. Low enough Castle Creations had to make a change to one of there ESC's so the receiver could drive it properly. The servo drive voltage is usually determined by the voltage the internal processor runs at. In this case its likely the Futaba processor runs at 2.7 volts so thats the highest voltage it can drive the servo PWM line with. Many other 2.4ghz receivers use a 3.3 volt internal regulator so the servo PWM line goes up to 3.3 volts. I am sure there are quite a few servos(non Futaba) that will not work properly with a 2.7 volt drive, and the odd one that will appear to work but will glitch now and then.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:09 PM
SoCalSal

ORIGINAL: TheSteve

This isn't the only receiver Futaba has made that has a very low voltage servo drive output. The original R113IP 3 channel PCM ground based receiver also has a very low output on its servo drive. Low enough Castle Creations had to make a change to one of there ESC's so the receiver could drive it properly. The servo drive voltage is usually determined by the voltage the internal processor runs at. In this case its likely the Futaba processor runs at 2.7 volts so thats the highest voltage it can drive the servo PWM line with. Many other 2.4ghz receivers use a 3.3 volt internal regulator so the servo PWM line goes up to 3.3 volts. I am sure there are quite a few servos(non Futaba) that will not work properly with a 2.7 volt drive, and the odd one that will appear to work but will glitch now and then.
Well that makes a few thing smore clear.
Now if Futuba was to recall these recevier to adjust them is at a hardware issue or softwhare?
Old 02-17-2008, 10:07 PM
SoCalSal

What effect does running 2.7v into a 3-5 volt servo???????? Does it slow it down a great deal or does it loose some of it's torque value. The reason I ask is I was planning to use my HiTec HS5955TG's with this recevier in a 30% Stearman. I'm no 3d flyer by any means but I still want the power and dependablity that this servo has always given me. I have been useing a Multiplex radio for years with many different makes of servos and never had much problem with it. This is my first Asian radio and I have not even been able to use it yet. But based on what I have heard so far I may just return it and get a JR system, that is if the JR will have the right pulse voltage as well.

I have sent a e-mail to Futaba direct about this concern of mine. I will post their answer when I get one. I have also contacted Duralite Battries about a possiabl "patch devise" on their PowerBox systems. You see I also use PowerBox's and Duralite LiPos....again never a problem.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:24 PM
TheSteve

The servos will still run at the battery or BEC voltage, its only the signal from the receiver to the servo that tells the servo where to position itself that is running at a lower voltage. It the servo works with it then there should be no loss of torque/speed/resolution. If a servo isn't compatible it could appear to be totally normal but receive the odd glitch or not work at all.
Its the hardware Futaba has selected to use, no software can change it. I am guessing they run the receiver internally at 2.7 volts to help prevent low voltage resets, the trade off being a lower servo drive voltage then is common in the indsutry.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:59 PM
SoCalSal

ORIGINAL: TheSteve

The servos will still run at the battery or BEC voltage, its only the signal from the receiver to the servo that tells the servo where to position itself that is running at a lower voltage. It the servo works with it then there should be no loss of torque/speed/resolution. If a servo isn't compatible it could appear to be totally normal but receive the odd glitch or not work at all.
Its the hardware Futaba has selected to use, no software can change it. I am guessing they run the receiver internally at 2.7 volts to help prevent low voltage resets, the trade off being a lower servo drive voltage then is common in the indsutry.
Well now.I learned a lot today. So the day is not wasted. But I need to find out if my HiTec's will work or not. f not then I need to do one of two things.1. Return the radio for a different make or 2. Spend another bunch of money on Futaba servos.
What's a guy to do??????????
It just makes me a little mad that Futuba would not disclose this type of issues before some poor stone like my self buys a radio that won't work in most cases without the Futaba .. And there is no way anyone can tell me Futaba is not well aware of this condition....hell they make the stuff.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:05 PM
skorp_jon

I'm not happy with this. Did Microsoft buy u. They need 2 service packs for Windows to work correctly. Please don't be like them.
All receiver have 3.0V minimum for last 30 years. Why did u change that?

I will wait for fix before buying this receiver.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:34 PM
SoCalSal

I'm not happy with this. Did Microsoft buy u. They need 2 service packs for Windows to work correctly. Please don't be like them.
All receiver have 3.0V minimum for last 30 years. Why did u change that?

I will wait for fix before buying this receiver.

If you have not purchased the recevier yet then don't worry about it. Futaba doesn't care a bit about one or to people who may not buy their products.
But if what you say is true the RC public will find out and make their desicion then.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:29 PM
skorp_jon

Yes this is true. Here in Europe people are sending receivers back to Robbe, because it's not working like it should.

Strange is that 7 channel don't have this problem.

So did futaba make this on purpose or did they mess something up?
Old 02-18-2008, 08:01 PM
SoCalSal

Yes this is true. Here in Europe people are sending receivers back to Robbe, because it's not working like it should.

Strange is that 7 channel don't have this problem.

So did futaba make this on purpose or did they mess something up?
Sorry I cannot answer that question for you. or Futaba. I have the R6014S recevier, but I have not used it yet with my HiTec servos. I do have a few of the Futaba s9152's to use if there is a problem. I'm going to wait to hear from Futaba, but I think I know what the answer is already...it is posted above by BAX.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:57 PM
dragoonpvw
My Feedback: (7)

Wow. This sounds pretty crazy to me. Do you guys have any proof. I am now going to waste part of my night just to show how stupid this is.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:02 PM
SoCalSal

I hope you can prove it is stupid.I'm the one who has invested my money on this recevier. It is the other guy who is saying he read something about it in a German artical somewhere in Europe.
Like I said I have not had a chance to test my HiTec servos with this recevier yet, but soon I will.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:13 PM
dragoonpvw

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Hxk707qJCJw

Just did it. Not pretty but you can see it work with two 5955tg's

read this fast as The very rude and ungrateful mods on here will remove this post before you know it.
good luck
Paul
Old 02-19-2008, 02:39 AM
Silent-AV8R

Perhaps reading the sticky entitled "Posting in this forum" will help you to understand what you misconstrue as rudeness.

From that sticky:

This forum is intended to provide a place for modelers to ask questions about Futaba R/C equipment and how to use it and/solve difficulties. Please do not reply to any question some may ask. Only Futaba Support representatives should post replies here. If you have an additional question within a particular thread's topic, you may post your question in an already-existing thread.

******* Postings that involve discussions, or answers to questions by people who are not from Futaba Support will be deleted.******

Questions or responses to our answers may be edited at the discretion of the forum moderator. Some postings may be moved to other forums if the moderator deems it appropriate.

Also please realize that we are not aways able to get to a question right away. However, we usually can answer a question within two business days or so.

Thank you for your cooperation.
Seems pretty clear to me. Add to that the fact that Bill and Krysta look for 0 post threads when seeing what needs to be answered and it becomes more clear how adding posts confuses the issue. There is a wide open discussion area, why not use that??
Old 02-19-2008, 06:17 AM
dragoonpvw

I have read that, and understand it. I do not think that I have misconstrued their actions. I suppose manners are nowadays a subjective discipline. I think that recently, and increasingly so, the mods here have been a little lax in how they deal with us. From ignoring some posts to selective ediitng of posts. To judge rudeness by the way, I will use myself as an example, when I mentioned their manners in my post, that was rude . I apologise to them but I think that at the time it was intentional. With the difficult questions of late that have been coming thick and fast with the implementation problems with various fasst systems they have become less professional. I do not remember feeling this way when AMC ran the place. No matter what the rules are, manners and grace/gratitude should not be forgotten. Just my humble opinion. If someone steps up to the bat for them, either when they are not around or struggle to give a suitable answer, then even though they are following the rules laid out, removal or enforcement could still be done with grace and gratitude. Even if they just print out a form response. How a policeman deals with the public is a direct indicator of his professionalism, though he must enforce the law, doing so with manners and grace is not a sign of weakness but a sign of strength.
good luck
Paul
Old 02-19-2008, 10:40 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We're closing this thread. We posted our answers to the original question. If you wish to debate the merits, please do so in the General Radios Forum. That's what it's for. This is for questions to Futaba Support and for us to answer.

Thank you.