Community
Search
Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

14MZ-What to buy

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 03:01 AM
TripleDeucer
My Feedback: (129)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 14MZ-What to buy

Hello, I am about to order a 14MZ. I have many 72MHZ RX's I still want to use. Will I be able to use 72MHZ in addition to 2.4GHZ if I buy the newest offering pre configured to 2.4GHZ? Or do I need the older 72MHZ system and buy the new 2.4GHZ module? So, what is the best way to go in order to use both 72MHZ and 2.4GHZ?

Thanks
Old 04-07-2008, 09:45 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: 14MZ-What to buy

You can purchase a 72 MHz transmitter and then add the 2.4 GHz FASST modules....or purchase it with the 2.4 GHz FASST module and then add the 72 MHz module. Your choice.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:00 AM
FlysEm

Say, Bax,

I just learned that the 10C is going to be module based. I have already back-ordered one from Tower, but am disappointed that the 2.4 GHZ won't be integral to the TX. Will the 10C be integral at some point in the future? If not, what 10C or better TX will be, and when? Also, in what ways will the 10C be superior to my putting a 2.4 GHZ module into my 9CAPS?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Fred
Old 04-07-2008, 01:50 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No need for "integrated" systems. The 10C will have as fast a processor and RF link as if the 2.4 GHz FASST system were built in...only instead of sealing the RF section inside the case, it's put into a removable module. There is no difference in performance...that's how it was designed. The same for the 12 and 14-channel systems. You lose absolutely nothing when you change modules.

Why some people think that you have to have the RF section built into the transmitter is interesting. Older systems won't have some of the processing speeds of the newer transmitters, but that's because they are older units. The new systems work out very nicely with no loss of performance. Building-in the 2.4 GHz FASST system will cause you to lose some veratility, and will give you zero gains. It's not likely that the higher-end systems will be non-module. The lower-end systems are non-module because it costs less to make them that way, not that you get anything "better".

The 10C has a newer processor, so it will not have some of the latency issues of the 9C, which is an older-technology system.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:07 PM
FlysEm

Bax,
Thanks for that very informative reply. So much misinformation flying around (pun intended). Can you tell me if the 10C will have 1024 or 2048 resolution, and what actual difference that will make in performance?

Fred
Old 04-08-2008, 02:37 AM
TripleDeucer
My Feedback: (129)

ORIGINAL: Bax

You can purchase a 72 MHz transmitter and then add the 2.4 GHz FASST modules....or purchase it with the 2.4 GHz FASST module and then add the 72 MHz module. Your choice.
I can't seem to locate a way to order the 14mz 72mhz tx module. If it is available somehow, what is the price?
Old 04-08-2008, 08:36 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

From towers site

**** While you can obtain a 72Mhz or 50Mhz module for this radio, ****
**** it can only be purchased through ****
**** the service center at 217-398-8970 opt 2 ****

Your local hobby shop can also order it. Not sure of the price though.