Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

CAP 10C problem

Old 04-12-2009, 06:16 AM
jdhughen
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CAP 10C problem

My radio is a CAP 10C 2.4ghz. I have H9 spitfire that I had been using the 7ch R617RS (4.8v) with a JR NES-791 retract servo on ch5. Everything worked fine but I had been using a JR matchbox to get aileron diff because I was using ch 7 for something else and was out of avaliable channels. I wanted to do the Aileron Diff mixing in the radio to take advantage of some other features so I decided to swap out my receiver for a R6014FS so I'd have full use of my transmitters 10 channels.

Everything worked great except that now my retract servo will NOT work anymore. I setup a bench test with another R617RS and R6014RS and a fresh 4.8v batt and confirmed that for some reason the NES-791 retract servo will not work with the R6014FS on channel 5. For grins I plug the servo into Channel 1 and it worked. I created a test model in the 10C and connected all channels (5-up) to switch E and throws to 100% ea direction, and trims @ 0 for all. I then tested the NES-791 servo in each channel. With the R617RS the servo worked every channel without issue. In contrast , With the R6014FS the NES-791 only worked in channel 1 ans 2, and NOT in any other channel. What is up with this ?? what is none standard about the R6014FS output that would cause this. The NES-791 with 260 in/oz of torque is (IMO) the best retract servo out there and the only one that will lift my gear (using robart oleo robo struts). I need to figure out what the problem is. BTW I don't think it is a defective receiver as I have 2 R6014FS's and tested them both with the same results.

Any ideas ????

Joel Hughen
Old 04-13-2009, 09:21 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: CAP 10C problem

It may be that the transmitter's not putting out a pulse the servo needs. Try adjusting the end point to a higher number.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:40 AM
jdhughen

Bax,

No it's NOT an end point problem. As I mentioned, in the test that I ran I adjusted all the end points to 100% ea way on all channels in my "test" model. The R617FS works fine on all channels. The R6014FS only works with Ch 1 and 2, 3-14 will not activate the NES-791. I brought home a scope from the office today and hooked it up. I was surprised to find that the R6014FS is only putting out around 2.75 volts pp on ch 3-14. I thought my 2 were both broken or defective. But I did some more searching and found that this NON STD condition was appearently designed into the R6014FS by Futaba in all their wisdom and has created problems with other modelers using equipment requiring the industry 3v std. I guess I'll have to spend more money on line amps to get this over priced receiver to work with STANDARD equipment.

It really gets me when companies do stuff like this, for what ever reason. It smacks of "we don't have to cause we're bigger than anybody else and if you don't like it tough" attitude you see these days from companies with to big a market share. You would think that futaba would atleast put on the front page of the instruction sheet is big red letters

THE R6014FS RECEIVER DOES NOT PUT OUT STANDARD SIGNAL VOLTAGES ON CHANNELS 3-14 and may not work with some STANDARD servos/equipment from other manufactures that use the industry 3.0v STD.

And supply line amps for compatibility for users that need them.

Unfortunately I allready have a significant investment in futaba equipment and I'm stuck or I'd be looking elsewhere.

PO'ed in SC

Joel
Old 04-13-2009, 02:20 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ah....OK. Your first note didn't mention the voltages. Yes, the R6014FS receiver puts out 3.0V on channels 1 and 2 only, and 2.7V on all of the other channels. That issue has been known for quite a while. The processor Futaba used to get the high processing speed of the receiver does have a lower output voltage. Futaba made the choice to get the high speed and low latency of the system. They did not do it to obviate other types of equipment. Please note that no recent-production Futaba equipment is not affected by the R6014FS receiver's output. Also please note that Futaba is under no obligation to insure compatibility with non-Futaba equipment. Finally, there is no industry "standard" for signal voltage levels. The 3.0V came about because it happened to be the voltage level used on many of the older output chips. The more-modern chips run at lower voltages, and we'll see more of this.

You may need to discuss the voltage level with your servo maker. Some non-Futaba equipment makers have updates available for their equipment to make it compatible.

Our advisory has been out over a year:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7365443/tm.htm

Old 04-14-2009, 08:15 AM
jdhughen

I very aware that Futaba is "under no obligation" to make anything compatible for their users. But since ch 1 and 2 put out 3.0 volts one would have to assume that the others could be made to do so if futaba chose to. And if futaba made a retract servo with some balls I wouldn't have to go to JR to get one. Of course if you ask JR they point the finger at you. It's the user at is always left holding the bag.

Its funny how "obligation" to the user is directly tied to market share.... as market share goes up, obligation to the user goes down.

Joel