Community
Search
Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

Flaperon and Elevator Mixing 8UHPS

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 08:50 PM
Cougar429
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flaperon and Elevator Mixing 8UHPS

I know this radio is getting a bit long in the tooth, but with 2 of them I find they still do most anything I need in both helis and fixed wing.

My question is regarding a couple of planes I've built with dual servos, plugged into Ch 1 and 6. I've programmed one for flaperons and have added elevator mixing, but even with the Edberg manual I find the process complex and in some cases not fully to my liking.

Here are some of the issues:

First off, I have an EAGLE 2 modified for dual ailerons and set the flaperons up with the three-position switch for UP, MID and FULL DOWN. This does not eliminate the possibility of still controlling them with the CH 6 pot, even though I don't use it. However, the more flap I add the less aileron I end up with, to the point where full down requires 1/2 stick deflection to get any aileron action at all, even though it only allows for UP aileron and no more DOWN. This requires me to transition to a rudder only approach method to reduce the risk of dropping a wing at the worst possible moment.

The flap settings using the original CH 6 pot also needed extreme settings to prevent the ailerons from going up when the knob was run full one way or the other, (depending on the direction of setting). Unable to confirm positions of the knob when flying was the reason I opted to use the switch.

To place the flap action on the 3-position switch required the use of 2 of the available mixers, with the elevator deflection for MID and FULL DOWN now tying up a further 2. I've been told this is entirely too complicated and there is a simpler way, but have been unable to find it.

I've held off doing the same kind of thing to the Catalina until I know more of it's flying habits, but either plane would benefit from adding flaps. Both will be flying off water, hence the original reason to try and make this work.

Does anyone know of a better way?